Car advice

Selling my wife's old car. It's got her private plate on it. We're possibly selling to a friend. Way I see it is that we either wait until the plate's transferred, or, because we're selling to a friend, are there any disadvantages to selling it with the plate still on it and transferring later on?

Selling my wife's old car. It's got her private plate on it. We're possibly selling to a friend. Way I see it is that we either wait until the plate's transferred, or, because we're selling to a friend, are there any disadvantages to selling it with the plate still on it and transferring later on?

Does it have any rear end damage?

Just got rid of a focus with no problems and bought a seat ibiza tdi fr that needs the roof sprayed and a new wing, front grille and boot lock. Just as well we have a body shop at work. Oh and it fucking flies foot down in any gear and this things away.

If your spending some dough on it, these fellas are very good, and that TDi engine is ripe for it too, a real peach with oodles of torque!!

http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/engine-tuning-scotland/

• 1 month later...

Seat, yay or nay? More specifically, a 58 altea xl, 1.9 diesel.

Its effectively just a Golf Plus. Think its a bit sportier though

Seat's are decent cars i have had 4 and only had to put up with niggly issues like a door latch and air con rad mechanically they are sound (touch wood) the 1.9 is a great engine do you know the power output? they are a bit rattly on start up and the tick over is a bit noisy but don't be put off. Just make sure the oil is changed religiously and that the cam belt and water pump has been or will get changed on time and it will go forever

Seat's are decent cars i have had 4 and only had to put up with niggly issues like a door latch and air con rad mechanically they are sound (touch wood) the 1.9 is a great engine do you know the power output? they are a bit rattly on start up and the tick over is a bit noisy but don't be put off. Just make sure the oil is changed religiously and that the cam belt and water pump has been or will get changed on time and it will go forever

Puts out 105bhp.

That should give you a good blend of economy and power i think the belt is due every 60k or 4 years so make sure its been done. I have a wee ibiza with the same engine that comes with 130bhp and it does 50mpg on my 16 mile commute which involves busy town and A road driving.

The link below is handy as a resource for fixing problems or finding stuff out

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/

That should give you a good blend of economy and power i think the belt is due every 60k or 4 years so make sure its been done. I have a wee ibiza with the same engine that comes with 130bhp and it does 50mpg on my 16 mile commute which involves busy town and A road driving.

The link below is handy as a resource for fixing problems or finding stuff out

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/

The listed figures is just over 50mpg combined, which is one of the main reasons I'm looking at it (my current car is a petrol astra and I don't get much more than 30). I've just spoken to the salesman about the belt and he'll make sure it has either been done recently or is done before I get it (current mileage is 56k).

Cheers.

2010 hyundai i30 needing rear brakes and pads. Arnold clark quoting 280. Is this reasonable?

Also if i go to another garage and get the work done will it invalidate my manufacturers warranty?

Im far too old to know this little about cars, its my blind spot.

Also at what point is it no longer worth doing the manufacturers service and just going for your basic oil change etc. the car is 4 years old now with 50k on clock, is there any advantage to continuing to spend 250 on a service?

Cheers

I believe you can have it serviced and repaired at any VAT registered garage so long as you use genuine parts for the servicing. Brakes shouldn't matter you can get them from anywhere. Arnold is ripping the pish as usual find a decent independent garage the same goes for servicing just refer to the handbook it will tell you what needs done and when ESPECIALLY BELT CHANGES and you should be fine.

2010 hyundai i30 needing rear brakes and pads. Arnold clark quoting 280. Is this reasonable?

Also if i go to another garage and get the work done will it invalidate my manufacturers warranty?

Im far too old to know this little about cars, its my blind spot.

Also at what point is it no longer worth doing the manufacturers service and just going for your basic oil change etc. the car is 4 years old now with 50k on clock, is there any advantage to continuing to spend 250 on a service?

Cheers

You'll get it much cheaper at an independent. I was £160 for front disks and pads fitted for a V8 Jag. Still get servicing done to manufacturers spec just use an independent garage they are much cheaper. My rule of thumb with Arnold Clark is they are usually pretty competitive to buy a car from but buy nothing else from them ever!

Edited by madmitch

You'll get it much cheaper at an independent. I was £160 for front disks and pads fitted for a V8 Jag. Still get servicing done to manufacturers spec just use an independent garage they are much cheaper. My rule of thumb with Arnold Clark is they are usually pretty competitive to buy a car from but buy nothing else from them ever!

Humble Brag:

When you, usually consciously, try to get away with bragging about yourself by couching it in a phony show of humility.

"Your inflatable inner-tube is way cooler than my 80-foot yacht. You get to be so much closer to the water and to nature. I envy you, I really do"

"Thanks, that means a lot. Another advantage of having an innertube is that I don't have to fucking humble brag all the time about having a yacht."

Humble Brag:

When you, usually consciously, try to get away with bragging about yourself by couching it in a phony show of humility.

"Your inflatable inner-tube is way cooler than my 80-foot yacht. You get to be so much closer to the water and to nature. I envy you, I really do"

"Thanks, that means a lot. Another advantage of having an innertube is that I don't have to fucking humble brag all the time about having a yacht."

Jealous because someone paid less for getting break pads fitted :D

New rear brake discs on ebay for Hyundai i30 £49 (that's for the pair)

Brake pads less than £20 (ebay)

So 70 quid in car parts.Two hours labour at an independent at 50 quid an hour (maybe less)

= 170 quid.

Tell Arnold Clark where to stick it.

Dee Man I'll have a line of what your are on.

Looking to change and can't decide between the Mercedes C62 amg (Don't mind which class) or the Audi twin-turbocharged 4.2-litre V8?

Get the Mercedes. That's generally considered to have the best v8 engine Mercedes ever produced. I'm sure it's the same engine in the sls and is about to be discontinued to be replaced by a 4 litre twin turbo number.

If I was lucky to be in your position I wouldn't think twice. Plus any Mercedes looks a million times better than any audi.