Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

29 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Seems the talk is Hackney will be in the England u21s squad which is announced today.

Disappointing if he is but not terribly surprising. Their U21s have a strong chance of winning things, our U21s have a strong chance of neck injuries from watching a Gemmill coached team pump the ball over their heads for 90 minutes.

35 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Seems the talk is Hackney will be in the England u21s squad which is announced today.

Correct, there goes my theory about his form then 😂 

He could develop into a very good player but at this stage he wouldn't get into the senior team 

52 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Disappointing if true and it reeks of short-termism to me but I've always said that I don't want people committing to Scotland if they're not going to fully apply themselves to playing for the nation, so if he falls into the "Matt Ritchie" bracket then we're better off without him.

Good luck to the lad though, good player.

Edit to add that he has indeed been called into the England U21's

Edited by BB_Bino

2 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Disappointing if true and it reeks of short-termism to me but I've always said that I don't want people committing to Scotland if they're not going to fully apply themselves to playing for the nation, so if he falls into the "Matt Ritchie" bracket then we're better off without him.

Good luck to the lad though, good player.

It is true, they announced the squad about half an hour ago 

I'm not particularly bothered about a player born and brought up in England taking any opportunity to play for England.  Seems fair enough for me.

Looking at it from a wider perspective, if players like Hayden Hackney show that you can join the Scotland U21 setup and the door will still be open for future England call ups then it might continue to encourage more dual nationality players who have established themselves at club level to give Scotland a try at some point.  And you never know, a few might get hooked to playing for Scotland as a result.

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Disappointing as he looks like he has a lot of potential. On the flip side I never thought we would get Anderson and from what I've saw/read from Newcastle fans he could be a top top player!

20 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Disappointing as he looks like he has a lot of potential. On the flip side I never thought we would get Anderson and from what I've saw/read from Newcastle fans he could be a top top player!

Agree it is disappointing but the wheel is still in spin, unlike for Anderson. What's most encouraging to me is that we seem to be genuinely competing for most of these players now. In years gone by there would have been no question whatsoever unless you had someone who had been fully indoctrinated, was made to wear a jimmy hat to school in east London etc.

22 minutes ago, BazMac said:

I'm not particularly bothered about a player born and brought up in England taking any opportunity to play for England.  Seems fair enough for me.

Looking at it from a wider perspective, if players like Hayden Hackney show that you can join the Scotland U21 setup and the door will still be open for future England call ups then it might continue to encourage more dual nationality players who have established themselves at club level to give Scotland a try at some point.  And you never know, a few might get hooked to playing for Scotland as a result.

That's true. There are a good number of high quality dual qualified centre backs in particular that would be excellent additions to our youth set-up:

Jarell Quansah, 20 (Liverpool) - England U20, recently made his Liverpool debut in the EPL

Ben Nelson, 19 (Leicester) - in and around their first team, currently playing England U19 but played Scotland U16

Josh Feeney, 18 (Aston Villa) - on the bench against Hibs this week at 18, current England U18 international

And of course there are a couple dual qualified already in our system:

Louis Jackson, 17 (Man United) - current Scotland U19 but has played at various levels for both Scotland and England

Jeremiah Chilokoa-Mullen, 19 (Leeds) - currently a Scotland U21, no involvement with England that I know of to date

It's pretty much a general rule of thumb that if they're anything less than a world class elite talent, they'll not make an England cap and by the time they're in their mid 20s they'll realise that there's still an opportunity to play internationally.

Can't fault any of them for believing they'll get to that level. There's absolutely no reason to close the door on any of them in the future. Karamoko Dembele is a perfect example of why nobody should get overly invested in the decisions of youth players. He was back and forth between both England and Scotland, now he's at Blackpool and nowhere near the international scene.

Hes probably realised he wont be getting a senior cap with us any time soon so England U21s is better for his development than Scotland U21s. Suspect he'll return to us if/when he gets a full call up.

• 2 weeks later...