Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

It's in shadow of the big shale bing.

The surrounding countryside rivals the moon for desolation.

Nearest "big place" is Carnwath, 4 miles away.

No shop.

Very little public transport, and what there is, takes you to the delights of Lanark.

Apart from that, it's fine.

There is so a shop.... a local shop.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rigside+shop&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fid=0x48880576ec5e2d97:0x26026a3f52969472&fpstate=luuv&imagekey=!1e2!2slrDBHg8GnVzjigwAFYzHWA&istate=lrl:iv&rlimm=2738868343595766898&viewerState=im

IMG_1547231707.573751.jpg

Reassuringly, most Scottish senior fitba clubs remain firmly rooted in the so-called scum areas...

Firhill on the other hand nestles like a jewel in the setting of Glasgow's leafy West End with its many bars, restaurants, museums, theatres and places of learning and on the bank of one of the country's most beautiful waterways which is made colourful and vibrant by the pleasure crafts which bob by delightfully on the glistening, clear water.

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

It's in shadow of the big shale bing.

The surrounding countryside rivals the moon for desolation.

Nearest "big place" is Carnwath, 4 miles away.

No shop.

Very little public transport, and what there is, takes you to the delights of Lanark.

Apart from that, it's fine.

It's also the home and work place of the multi-talented George Ormiston whose musical instruments are in demand worldwide.

Superb musician and genuinely nice guy.  Sometimes you just have to look beyond the shale...

http://www.cloudhowe.co.uk/band.html

https://www.carlukegazette.co.uk/news/talented-tarbrax-trio-1-375837

From a quick perusal on Googlemaps, Tarbrax looks a decent place to live (unless you don't have a car of course). 

Reminds me of a clip from Alan Partridge when he's looking round his "5 Bedroom b*****d House" (you can find it in the extras part of the DVD). 

AP: Is the house on any bus routes?

Estate Agent: Er, no. I'm afraid there's no public transport at all

AP: Good

32 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I've always thought Skinflats was the perfect place for a child murderer to come from. Trips off the tongue with slithering menace.

Alloa is fine then you read about some poor c**t running barefoot in the snow to escape two brothers who then drag him back into his flat to stab him to death. Then you realise its a 10 minutes from your house emoji51.png

I live in Alloa now, have done for nearly four years, I stay quite near to Alloa Athletic's football ground actually in one of the relatively few, quiet, scumbag-free streets in the town.

I often joke to people im not from there though, fact is im from Fallin, a wee *** infested ex mining village two miles from Stirling, a horrible mutant filled sectarian cesspit, not too dissimilar or any better/worse than Alloa truth be told  :lol: , growing up a Catholic in that village was certainly 'challenging' to say the least !

Edited by Flybhoy

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

According to the statisticians who put this index together the low scores are more meaningful than the high scores as it’s a deprivation index so it’s a good tool to compare Govanhill with Craigmillar but not much use to compare Morningside with Kelvinside

It’s similar to the way IQ tests were developed for, and are still useful, for identifying people with learning difficulties who need help and support as opposed to deciding which quite clever people are cleverer than other quite clever people

Spot on.

It measures multiple aspects of deprivation, rather than wealth, meaning it kind of loses significance as you move away from the lower deciles.

The map is very useful, but it does have huge anomalies as you scrutinise areas you know well.  The fact that access to amenities is a feature can lead to surprises.  

32 minutes ago, Walter said:
59 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:
Reassuringly, most Scottish senior fitba clubs remain firmly rooted in the so-called scum areas...

Firhill on the other hand nestles like a jewel in the setting of Glasgow's leafy West End with its many bars, restaurants, museums, theatres and places of learning and on the bank of one of the country's most beautiful waterways which is made colourful and vibrant by the pleasure crafts which bob by delightfully on the glistening, clear water.

To be fair it's a smart move to not go up to Ruchill Park or along Panmure St both of which lead to less  nestly jewelly type settings.

Go West! 

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

Very much so. Universities, for example, are cutting their throats to show that they’re actively trying to recruit from the worst SIMD areas. UWS topping the charts the last time I looked, hardly surprising given that it has campuses in Paisley and Blantyre.

Schools are also fixated with this data, as they strive to close the poverty gap, an obsession of the Scottish government. 

Edited by Monkey Tennis

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I've been here 3 years and am perplexed at why it is so staunch. Did you see the secret rangers pub in a Mulraney warehouse that got busted a few months back?

I'm on the western side but there's a few streets north & west of the Recs that look alright.

Yeah that was in Clackmannan im led to believe, it's a very odd place Alloa, a lot of people of the 'staunch' type as you say, most of them I don't think even go to Ibrox but put their Rangers tracksuit on for the bingo or to go round Lidl or even just their occasional appearances at Alloa sheriff court.

I stay in one of those quiet streets near to Recreation Park you allude to, relatively bampot free, a mixture of retired people, young couples and Eastern Europeans, the dafties I believe are mostly down the Mar Policies or up in Sauchie, apart from the occasional drink in Peppes or the Bobbing John before or after getting my CSC bus to the Celtic matches I tend to avoid drinking in Alloa, most of my mates are Stirling based anyway so I normally just jump on the train there for a  pint or, get off in Stirling after the match and head into town there.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Same really. Do my drinking in Glasgow mostly, though options in Alloa have improved last year or so. Beer festival is always good though!

I did some leafleting for the Greens last election and had a conversation about Marxism with a guy in Bowhouse, not everyone's a jakeball. Still, happy I stay in a good bit emoji6.png

I've been to the beer festival a couple of times.  

It's brilliant.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anybody's "Mink Status" changed?  According to the mink map, I grew up in a light blue area of minkiness and now live in a light blue area of minkiness.

Lack of ambition on my part IMO.

2 1 1 1 3 1 10 2

Hard to see how it could get worse.

8 hours ago, tarapoa said:

One of the other threads had a surprising amount of people (like me) with a weird obsession for maps.

This is one of the best I have seen - a genuine chance to hover round the country pinpointing posh places and shiteholes based on actual facts and figures.

I hadn't realised it was a map with stats. That's Saturday gone.