Worst Town In Scotland

I'm Brian

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The tell-tale sign of a de facto shitehole is the flat-roofed line of shops consisting of a bookies (probably a Coral), pharmacy, Chinese takeaway (Lucky something) and a Spar. 

Maybe a baker.

Lehs! Drehbruh is the bollocks.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Is there anywhere in Scotland that has had a huge rise or fall in recent years? It would obviously be difficult to change much in the couple of years between samples but what areas have seen a big recent change?

In Edinburgh I know Leith used to be a pretty gritty place and is now very gentrified. The Edinburgh Evening News publishes photos of Leith from the 80s a few weeks back and it was full of derelict buildings and very rundown.

Slightly longer ago than Leith but Finnieston was a shithole and is now a gentrified area similar to the Leith transformation.

Slightly longer ago than Leith but Finnieston was a shithole and is now a gentrified area similar to the Leith transformation.

I don’t know Glasgow very well but I’m sure Dennistoun is similar? I watched a documentary about Glasgow tenements on YouTube that seemed to say Dennistoun is now attracting more well to do residents.

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t know Glasgow very well but I’m sure Dennistoun is similar? I watched a documentary about Glasgow tenements on YouTube that seemed to say Dennistoun is now attracting more well to do residents.

There are quite a lot of students now living in Dennistoun so it must be getting better. I’ve not been across to that bit of the city much so couldn’t tell you.

11 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That is pretty much Grant Street in Merkinch. Except there is a surprisingly decent chippy instead of a Chinese.

image.thumb.png.2a8422c93d2214e03d4b54bffc806624.png

ETA I forgot about the grim Chinese about 30 yards away from the above photo. Also featuring another bookies, dodgy newsagent and notoriously mental pub.

image.thumb.png.b4a45aab2263818559596690738067be.png

For a minute I thought you were suggesting the Nip Inn was the Chinese establishment.

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The tell-tale sign of a de facto shitehole is the flat-roofed line of shops consisting of a bookies (probably a Coral), pharmacy, Chinese takeaway (Lucky something) and a Spar. 

Maybe a baker.

I don't think there's a town in Scotland that doesn't have this.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Having stayed in Tillidrone then moving to the West End, I can confirm that staying in Aberdeen is pretty bland no matter what area you live in.

For avoidance of doubt, Woodside / Great Northern Road isn't actually the West End.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

no idea the south park reference 

They build a shopping district with various fancy eateries in the shite part of South Park to appear more cultured and try to attract a Waitrose-type supermarket.

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Having stayed in Tillidrone then moving to the West End, I can confirm that staying in Aberdeen is pretty bland no matter what area you live in.

What makes it any more or less bland than anywhere else in Scotland?

Leaving the currently very bland fitba team aside, Aberdeen has plenty good traditional boozers, restaurants, shopping centres, music venues of various sizes and for various tastes, theatres, art gallery, museums, student life etc...........and a cracking hinterland of coastline, mountains or whisky/castle trails etc

There is an element of any UK city in that high street (Union St in our case) retail is suffering.

But other than that, in my biased opinion it compares well with anywhere in UK as a city to live and work in.  But we do tend to take a (cyber) kicking from many in the rest of Scotland..............

Edited by tarapoa

Because you can swap between different years you can see the creeping of gentrification down Dalry Road and Leith walk
In Leith itself you can walk from the bottom 5% to the top 5% in 4 minutes

Every time I’m around the top of Daley Road during the day I’m struck by the number of zombie types staggering around. There are nice parts and good restaurants etc right by but I don’t think it’s as gentrified as Leith.

I had a laugh that the Dalmeny Bar is now a tapas place. I was in there once and there was a guy in his 50s, wearing a shellsuit , absolutely hammered, wrestling a staffie on the floor. Seemed like the regulars considered it a fairly normal day.