Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

23 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Clarke should be arranging a friendly against a 'Have A Look 11' so he can have a look at Gauld, Horningsby, Ramsay, Doak, Hemming etc.

Hemming 😄 also get that young boy 'ackney from Middlesbrough along for a look.

Edited by 2426255

On 14/07/2023 at 13:12, BTFD said:

He'd be daft not to learn the words to Oh Canada, eh.

Gauld scored a couple of goals in their win last night. I don't see any chance of him getting a Scotland call up, so it probably is worth his while looking into the residency rules for switching international allegiance.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Cracking first goal from him, and he should have had 3 or 4.

I keep clicking that link and it takes me to a page selling tickets for the next game, which is a bit presumptious (but the prices aren't terrible tbf).

E.T.A here's yer highlights.

Edited by velo army

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I keep clicking that link and it takes me to a page selling tickets for the next game, which is a bit presumptious (but the prices aren't terrible tbf).

E.T.A here's yer highlights.

Aye, clicking on the tweet text takes you to the tweet but trying to play the clip goes to Ticketmaster. Sneaky.

On 14/07/2023 at 11:09, ArabFC said:

Gauld always had more ability than Armstrong imho (not that I'm dissing Stu) and I rate him higher than Christie too, both of whom have racked up around 40 caps and are consistent squad members. We don't actually have all that much past them either given Fraser and Forrest aren't really options anymore.

Scratch that. Get Ben Doak called up now!

• 1 month later...

Lionel Messi has shown that league up as having even worse defending than I expected - every single one of those videos of him makes it look like he's playing against a bunch of guys dragged off the street who have never met before. I suppose that's what happens when you have a salary cap and designated player system that incentivises bringing in big ticket attacking players and then having to scrape together the remaining pennies on centre-backs.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lionel Messi has shown that league up as having even worse defending than I expected - every single one of those videos of him makes it look like he's playing against a bunch of guys dragged off the street who have never met before. I suppose that's what happens when you have a salary cap and designated player system that incentivises bringing in big ticket attacking players and then having to scrape together the remaining pennies on centre-backs.

There was one I saw where he sauntered all the way from the halfway line to the 6 yard box for a tap-in without anyone being within 5 yards of him. Lower league standard stuff.

On 28/08/2023 at 13:04, craigkillie said:

Are we gonna pretend that Messi wouldn’t be humiliating defenders in the SPFL just as badly, or worse?

Just the one assist for Gauld last night - slacking!

Best metric for Gauld would be to compare him to Almeda. He is widely considered to be world class.
Gauld's Minutes per Goals/Assists/Shots on Target in the last 16 games are outstripping Almeda's average over the last two years. 
Gauld = 130/143/71 Almeda = 300/180/73

Almeda record is over 53 games though, Gauld only 16. 

How many games before a streak becomes permanent class?

Edited by immcinto

2 hours ago, immcinto said:

Best metric for Gauld would be to compare him to Almeda. He is widely considered to be world class.
Gauld's Minutes per Goals/Assists/Shots on Target in the last 16 games are outstripping Almeda's average over the last two years. 
Gauld = 130/143/71 Almeda = 300/180/73

Almeda record is over 53 games though, Gauld only 16. 

How many games before a streak becomes permanent class?

How many games? More than 16 and ideally the same number of games to Almeida. If you're comparing two players' minutes per goals/assists/shots on target (and they're only attacking metrics) you need to use the same numbers to get a fairer comparison. There also needs to be other comparitive stats. 130 minutes per goal sounds good, but what if a lot of those were penalties or he scored a lot of goals against depleted and vastly inferior competition? That's the thing with "minutes per" statistics is that it implies consistency when in fact there may have just been bouts of intensity.

I'd like to hear more from Clarke and the player to find out why we're never bringing him in. It honestly could be that he doesn't rate the league or the player and he's just being diplomatic.

I'd like to see Gauld get a shot. Let's be honest, nobody here watches MLS with any regularity, but Gauld is clearly enjoying his football again. He was the most exciting teenage prospect in the last 30 years probably in Scottish football, I think it would be a shame for his career to wane out without seeing whether he could offer us something at international level. Looks like the France friendly won't fit in nicely with the MLS Season though. Are there many European players at other nations that are getting regular call ups? Not many from the list here jumping out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_MLS_players

11 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

I'd like to see Gauld get a shot. Let's be honest, nobody here watches MLS with any regularity, but Gauld is clearly enjoying his football again. 

To be honest, I probably would if I could somewhere that broadcasted some kind of highlights package, but I you'll be right at this moment in time