Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Picking Ryan Christie in the squad has nothing to do with sentimentality and everything to do with the fact that he is fairly obviously one of our most talented players. I would seriously question the judgement of anyone who can't see that.

Your welcome to seriously question it, ponder it all day if you want. 

I dont see Christie as a starter in our current first team. With the formation were playing. The only place he really fits is the withdrawn forward role. I'd consider on our recent games fraser to be number 1 there. And I'd put Armstrong and mcginn as better options than Christie. The only other who could possibly sit out in favour of Christie for me is forrest. But he's injured currently, so nearer the time opinions will probably change.

I really like turnbull, and he can play a bit deeper than Christie.

Christie is a good player, but your picking a squad. Not just the best technical players.

Its hard to pick a 23 man squad, some good players are going to miss out. Which for us is a good thing, were getting better strength in depth.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My squad would be very close to that.

I'd lean towards having Fleck over McLean because I think he offers a bit more as a player in terms of energy and is smarter in the sort of counter-attacking positions we'll often get in to.

I'd definitely drop McBurnie if he doesn't improve massively in the next triple header, and would bring in whoever the most in-form striker is - currently that would be Nisbet.

I'd really like to drop Palmer because I don't think he's very good in this system at all, but I'm not sure who I'd bring in. It would be a big call to ask Hickey to be in as cover for right wing-back when he hasn't played there much before, but maybe I'd go for him because I think he is a really good fit to the system and has a great attitude and excellent technical ability.

I like the hickey option for Palmer

With the consideration Palmer is a bottom half championship player

Pretty sure the topic title is 'Ryan Gauld' yet all we have is folk naming their squads without Gauld in it.
Another goal on Sunday makes it 4 goals and 4 assists in 11 games for Farense - he has to be in the next squad!
I'd agree with that. The WC qualifiers in March will be a good window for the likes of Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour to come into a 25/26 man squad and hopefully impress.
But making the 23 man squad for the Euros will be tight for RG. That's why I listed him on standby (as did CraigKillie). Who would you drop from the Euros squad in order to include him? I'd consider dropping McLean from my 23, but I reckon SC likes and trusts him so I don't see that happening as things stand.

29 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd agree with that. The WC qualifiers in March will be a good window for the likes of Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour to come into a 25/26 man squad and hopefully impress.
But making the 23 man squad for the Euros will be tight for RG. That's why I listed him on standby (as did CraigKillie). Who would you drop from the Euros squad in order to include him? I'd consider dropping McLean from my 23, but I reckon SC likes and trusts him so I don't see that happening as things stand.

Gauld has very little chance unless there's injuries. He should play in March, but he just doesn't have enough time to impress enough to dislodge someone established like Christie. Unless there's injuries the Euros will come too soon for him. 

Gilmour very slim chance and everyone else who hasn't already played pretty much no chance. I went through Chelsea's fixtures the other day, I think Gilmour will get 6-9 appearances between now and next Scotland squad, most, if not all, sub appearances. It doesn't give him much time to impress.  And I was counting last night as I expected him to come off the bench. 

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

Gauld has very little chance unless there's injuries. He should play in March, but he just doesn't have enough time to impress enough to dislodge someone established like Christie. Unless there's injuries the Euros will come too soon for him. 
Gilmour very slim chance and everyone else who hasn't already played pretty much no chance. I went through Chelsea's fixtures the other day, I think Gilmour will get 6-9 appearances between now and next Scotland squad, most, if not all, sub appearances. It doesn't give him much time to impress.  And I was counting last night as I expected him to come off the bench. 

Pretty much how I see it too. Chelsea are wobbling a bit at the moment as well and Lampard is (understandably) playing it cagey, which might further limit Gilmour's playing time.
If he doesn't make the march squad he has no chance of going to the Euros. So yeah, it's looking tight for him.

ETA: all of this is assuming that we're not sideswiped by injuries or (God forbid) covid come Euro squad announcement time. All it would take would be the loss of just a few players then the door opens for the Gaulds/Gilmours/Turnbulls.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Pretty much how I see it too. Chelsea are wobbling a bit at the moment as well and Lampard is (understandably) playing it cagey, which might further limit Gilmour's playing time.
If he doesn't make the march squad he has no chance of going to the Euros. So yeah, it's looking tight for him.

ETA: all of this is assuming that we're not sideswiped by injuries or (God forbid) covid come Euro squad announcement time. All it would take would be the loss of just a few players then the door opens for the Gaulds/Gilmours/Turnbulls.

If we play two friendlies in the summer, we'll play 15 games in 2021 (assuming we don't get out the group).

We also have two triple headers this year.  I'd say there's a very good chance of at least a couple of players being called up for their first squads next year (excepting Gauld has had one call up in the past).

Are Gauld, Hickey, Gilmour, and Turnbull better than any players (in the same position) called up in the last 12-18 months?  Observably, yes.

Ideally, I would want Gilmour and Hickey in the 26-man squad in March.  I would imagine that both to be key players of the national side from 2022 onwards.

All of that said, I can't see any surprises in SC's 23-man squad for the Euros.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

54 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Aye, personally speaking I would fully support 23 old grannies being denied their vaccination so 23 fit young people hand picked by Steve Clarke can get it before them. Its their civic duty really.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Driver said:

The thing is Chelsea are actually crying out for some game management which Gimour excels at.   Perhaps Frank Lampard doesn't want to heap pressure on a young player with the team going through a sticky spell - but Gilmour would cope fine.   I'd have him in my squad for certain.  

Absolutely, on the ball he's the best they have. Maybe the best player at the club on the ball.  Against Arsenal and yesterday he would have really improved them. But he's still young and slight and not very strong. I assume they have concerns about that.

Personally speaking I think he's exceptional, you could chuck him into the Scotland team tonight and he'd improve them. Ironically its harder to get in the Chelsea team than Scotland, and he needs games with Chelsea first.  I think when he does start to play regularly he'll progress quickly and nail down a starting spot quite fast, but he's still a bit away from that.

Just now, Andrew Driver said:

The thing is Chelsea are actually crying out for some game management which Gimour excels at.   Perhaps Frank Lampard doesn't want to heap pressure on a young player with the team going through a sticky spell - but Gilmour would cope fine.   I'd have him in my squad for certain.  

I'd agree with this. Every time Chelsea drop points at the moment I'm hoping its going to hopefully soon help gilmour to get his chance. Which I think he's ready to take.

20 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I'd agree with this. Every time Chelsea drop points at the moment I'm hoping its going to hopefully soon help gilmour to get his chance. Which I think he's ready to take.

If Gilmour doesn’t break into the Chelsea team during this wobble then I see him going on loan, probably to Rangers. He’d then have a fair chance of going to the Euros, especially if he excels in the three WC qualifiers. 

Gauld also has those qualifiers to get in the Euro squad. I could easily see him playing off the main striker, although there are 4 or 5 others in the same category. 

Edited by woof!

It wasn't that long ago you were singing his praises. He's so good he doesn't need to score goals. [emoji1]

At no point have I ever been "singing his praises", you've completely made that up.

I have been nothing but critical of his performances for Scotland, with the exception of the Slovakia and Czech games where I felt he had a good impact off the bench and I thought they might be the start of something for him.

I'm sure I would have praised specific aspects of his game at club level (last season, not this season where he has been shite), and might have suggested that I think he has a future for Scotland and might come good, but anyone capable of nuanced thought would understand the context of those comments.

At no point have I ever been "singing his praises", you've completely made that up.

I have been nothing but critical of his performances for Scotland, with the exception of the Slovakia and Czech games where I felt he had a good impact off the bench and I thought they might be the start of something for him.

I'm sure I would have praised specific aspects of his game at club level (last season, not this season where he has been shite), and might have suggested that I think he has a future for Scotland and might come good, but anyone capable of nuanced thought would understand the context of those comments.

I agree with the sentiment of and background to your post, Craig - I don't think you ever did say he was infallible. However, you might want to look at the last clause and how often you've used it to support recent posts. It comes across as if you've only recently been taught the meaning of the word "nuanced" and think that its use in any argument = an automatic win.

Trying (and probably failing) not to be a p***k here, but I think you're better than you are coming across as.

Just now, craigkillie said:

No, you were absolutely singing his praises. 

Also you were recently telling us the Nisbet would be a flop.

Fast forward a few months, now you hate mcburnie. And want Nisbet in the scotland squad?

Your a poor judge of a player.

If I was singing McBurnie's praises then it'll be very easy for you to use the search function find the posts where I did so. Here are a selection of the ones I've found.

On 09/10/2019 at 12:13, craigkillie said:

This suggestion that we "create absolutely nothing" is nonsense. We were clearly outplayed by Russia, but still spent a decent amount of the game in their third of the pitch - particularly in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes. We had several counter-attacks, a reasonable number of crosses from wide areas, low balls across the box, possession 30 yards out etc, and it's McBurnie's job as the centre-forward to make the appropriate runs and get into positions to score. I'm not sure he did that well enough.

The same was true in his first start against Costa Rica, and then again in Kazakhstan, where once more we did have plenty of the ball and plenty of possession in attacking positions once we were 2-0 down.

When we're on the back foot, the job of the striker is also to link up play, and he wasn't great at that either. He was obsessed with playing little flicks around the corner and almost never just held the ball and laid it off or tried to turn his marker.

That's not me writing him off completely or anything like that, but there has been absolutely zero from him so far to suggest that he is suddenly going to become effective if we can just get an extra 10 yards up the field or whatever.

On 09/03/2020 at 09:21, craigkillie said:

McBurnie has been in excellent form, but it's hard to know how much Clarke can rely on him to hold the ball up given that he seemed to want to do anything but that in his previous caps. Just constantly flicking it round the corner to nobody.

On 09/03/2020 at 14:35, craigkillie said:

I have never been anything but critical of McBurnie in a Scotland shirt. I think he has been pea-hearted and basically dreadful in every game he has played so far and have said so much on here.

That's why his very good performances for Sheffield United stood out so much for me. Their fans seem to have really taken to him after quite a slow start.

On 30/08/2020 at 20:36, craigkillie said:

McBurnie would be as well just saying he can't be fucked and retiring, save us all the pantomime stuff.

On 01/09/2020 at 17:04, craigkillie said:

As I've said before, McBurnie clearly has no real interest in playing for Scotland. You could see it in his performances when he did play compared to those with Sheffield United (albeit partly down to the style of play too).

That's fine and completely up to him, but we have to stop pretending he's part of our plans, a bit like Steven Fletcher before him and also Ryan Fraser now. If they don't want to play, accept it and move on.

This is about the most positive one I could find, and even that is not in any way "singing his praises".

On 15/11/2020 at 16:33, craigkillie said:

Clarke has received a great deal of credit for how much of a good team spirit he has created and how much the players work for each other. Making "compassionate" decisions like this is a part of that - McBurnie obviously has something about him and could have another 10 years as a Scotland player, therefore it makes sense to try to put the arm around him and give him the opportunity to impact on the game. It's just like making the changes tonight to use the squad, it's all part of the bigger picture.

On Nisbet, I don't think I ever said he would be a flop, the post in question said that he'd still be kicking about the Championship this season while Shankland was playing in the top flight. Obviously that was wrong, but I didn't actually make a judgement about his ability. I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been in the top flight, he has surprised me, and one of the good things about football is that sometimes you get it wrong and revise your opinions based on what you see from a player.

Edited by craigkillie

On Nisbet, I don't think I ever said he would be a flop, the post in question said that he'd still be kicking about the Championship this season while Shankland was playing in the top flight. Obviously that was wrong, but I didn't actually make a judgement about his ability. I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been in the top flight, he has surprised me, and one of the good things about football is that sometimes you get it wrong and revise your opinions based on what you see from a player.

Humility [emoji106]

Just now, craigkillie said:

If I was singing McBurnie's praises then it'll be very easy for you to use the search function find the posts where I did so. Here are a selection of the ones I've found.

This is about the most positive one I could find, and even that is not in any way "singing his praises".

Fair enough, looks like I'm wrong about the mcburnie one. Im not going to go trailing thru old posts to try and disprove that.

As for Nisbet

He will be "kicking about in the lower leagues". Then after his move, Shankland will score more goals than him "despite playing for a worse team"

So yeah you did make a judgement on his ability.

On 29/12/2020 at 10:55, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

No offence, but this is rubbish.

The history of the Scottish National Team is littered with examples of players who have made an instant impact.

We don't even have to look back that far - Ryan Fraser in a couple of games made himself basically undroppable, until he wasn't available and Ryan Christie came in and did the exact same thing - how many of us were wanting Armstrong in ahead of Christie?

Dykes went from, meh to first name on the teamsheet in a couple of games.

There are 3 games in March. The likes of Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour must at least be called up. If they impress in training they might get a start, and if they impress in the games, they might get a call up for the Euros.