Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Just now, Gordopolis said:

I reckon SC's 23 man squad will be this, with a bias for safe/conservative choices (and where I differ I've added my comments):

Marshall
Gordon
McRorie

Robertson
Tierney
Palmer
O'Donnell
McKenna
Gallagher
McTominay
Cooper
Hanley

Jack
McGregor
McGinn
McLean
Armstrong
Fraser
Forrest
Christie

Dykes
Griffiths
Nisbet*

Standby:

McLaughlin

Considine
Hickey

Gilmour (I'd have him in the squad but can't see Clarke taking this risk - simply because Jack has done the business for him)

Gauld
Fleck
Turnbull

Burke
McBurnie
Shankland* (hard to see Shankland clinging on tbh - he's hardly set the heather alight in his few international appearances so far and Nisbet is outscoring and outperforming him fairly comfortably at domestic level this season so far).

Outliers (in case if emergency or if they have a change of heart re which country to represent):

Ashby

L Ferguson
Robbie McRorie

Mikey Johnson
Horn(s)by
Che Adams

P.S. I'm off to the P&B sauna now. There's room for everyone...

Yeah that's a decent squad. I've only a couple suggestions/criticisms.

I've won quite a few international tournaments on football manager. So I'm somewhat of an expert on this.

Tierneys going to be playing as a centre back. So including him your naming 6 centre backs. 

Im assuming your idea is Tierney is also the cover for left back? But he's likely to start every game. So he could possibly be tired should something happen to Robertson. Get Hanley in the bin and bring in Taylor. Hopefully he will not need to play. Maybe the odd 10 mins for Robertson when we're cruising against one of the cannon fodder teams were playing.

Next thing is the strikers. There's really 2 separate roles. The further forward dykes, and the withdrawn fraser. So you need 2 to rotate. Griffiths for dykes. Then either Armstrong, Christie* or even Forrest can sub in for fraser. And all 3 can play a few positions.

So get Nisbet in the bin also. Hopefully his time will come.

Gilmour 100% in for McLean. 

I'd keep Jack in the squad. He gives it balance and has done well for us.

The choice for me is between Turnbull and Christie. Or even Gauld.

At this moment. I'd be going with Turnbull. He's the young gun firing just now. Full of ideas and positivity.

There you go, that's how to win the euros.

As for your new relationship. Im not going to lie. Its an interesting and unexpected turn of event.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I've won quite a few international tournaments on football manager. So I'm somewhat of an expert on this.

Tierneys going to be playing as a centre back. So including him your naming 6 centre backs. 

Im assuming your idea is Tierney is also the cover for left back? But he's likely to start every game. So he could possibly be tired should something happen to Robertson. Get Hanley in the bin and bring in Taylor. Hopefully he will not need to play. Maybe the odd 10 mins for Robertson when we're cruising against one of the cannon fodder teams were playing.

Next thing is the strikers. There's really 2 separate roles. The further forward dykes, and the withdrawn fraser. So you need 2 to rotate. Griffiths for dykes. Then either Armstrong, Christie* or even Forrest can sub in for fraser. And all 3 can play a few positions.

At this moment. I'd be going with Turnbull. He's the young gun firing just now. Full of ideas and positivity.

As for your new relationship. Im not going to lie. Its an interesting and unexpected turn of event.

I think Nisbet is your dykes back up and Griff the other impact sub

Mcburnie and Burke binned

I'd rather see Turnbull in a spot than one of above, regardless of positions

Hanley is in for 2 reasons: 1, because SC seems to have a hardon for him; 2, so we can - if needed - use McTominay in MF without diluting cover at centre back.

Totally agree re the forward roles, and I see Christie, Forrest and Fraser all playing the foil for Dykes, with Griffiths being either another foil option or the main striker in a slightly different role. Nisbet is the wildcard in there just in case that system up front proves toothless as it has done in recent games. Was tempted to go with Burke as that option... but I'm not that crazy [emoji6]

Gilmour Vs McLean? Could be done, I suppose, but McLean is more of an attacking MF whereas Gilmour is a holding MF/deep lying playmaker. Also, I reckon McLean has earned serious brownie points by slotting away those crucial playoff pens. Tempting tho...

Whatever happens, Pep and I will be watching the tourney from our hot tub with our sexy tennents and pringles (insert Considine gif here).

Hanley is in for 2 reasons: 1, because SC seems to have a hardon for him; 2, so we can - if needed - use McTominay in MF without diluting cover at centre back.

Totally agree re the forward roles, and I see Christie, Forrest and Fraser all playing the foil for Dykes, with Griffiths being either another foil option or the main striker in a slightly different role. Nisbet is the wildcard in there just in case that system up front proves toothless as it has done in recent games. Was tempted to go with Burke as that option... but I'm not that crazy emoji6.png

Gilmour Vs McLean? Could be done, I suppose, but McLean is more of an attacking MF whereas Gilmour is a holding MF/deep lying playmaker. Also, I reckon McLean has earned serious brownie points by slotting away those crucial playoff pens. Tempting tho...

Whatever happens, Pep and I will be watching the tourney from our hot tub with our sexy tennents and pringles (insert Considine gif here).

This is your squad, not what you think Steve Clarke will do.

As mentioned previously, I've got way more international tournament experience than him. So its me you should be fawning over.

I think Gilmour and McLean could both play either of the 2 centre mid positions. At the moment Gilmours playing a bit deeper. But I honestly expect him to start playing a bit further forward in time. 

If we were to ever play with a midfield diamond. I could se him playing at the top of it. Or any of the roles tbh.

Long story short, hes better now than McLean could ever dream of being.

This is your squad, not what you think Steve Clarke will do.
As mentioned previously, I've got way more international tournament experience than him. So its me you should be fawning over.
I think Gilmour and McLean could both play either of the 2 centre mid positions. At the moment Gilmours playing a bit deeper. But I honestly expect him to start playing a bit further forward in time. 
If we were to ever play with a midfield diamond. I could se him playing at the top of it. Or any of the roles tbh.
Long story short, hes better now than McLean could ever dream of being.

I once won Football Manager on the Speccy +2, without even reloading the tape, so I look forward to your unswerving admiration.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager_(1982_series)

I'd love to take Gilmour along, but I just feel I need to see him command game time a little bit more. I know he will, given time, but I don't feel it's a no-brainer at the moment. Great thing is there's a good few months for him to romp into contention. Lampard clearly rates him and has him poised for greater things.

I once won Football Manager on the Speccy +2, without even reloading the tape, so I look forward to your unswerving admiration.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Manager_(1982_series)

I'd love to take Gilmour along, but I just feel I need to see him command game time a little bit more. I know he will, given time, but I don't feel it's a no-brainer at the moment. Great thing is there's a good few months for him to romp into contention. Lampard clearly rates him and has him poised for greater things.

I think this new exciting, unexpected and frankly disgusting sexual relationship you find yourself in is clouding your judgement.

It is a no brainer, Gilmour for McLean. Pep is literally shagging the brain right out of you.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

In a couple of pages of absolutely wild posts, this is perhaps the top one. If he's fit, there is roughly a 0.0000001% chance of Ryan Christie not being picked in the squad. He's about the most technically gifted player we have, and literally scored the goal that helped us qualify. In fact, every member of that team that started in Belgrade will be in the squad barring an injury, there isn't really any good argument for excluding any of them.

In terms of some of the other chat, McCrorie needs to focus on breaking back into the Livingston team before he can think about being in the Scotland squad. At the moment I'd say he's more likely to spend 2021 playing in the Scottish Championship than he is playing at the Euros.

Here's what I expect the squad to be. This isn't my selection, it's what I'm expecting Clarke to go with if he had to pick it tomorrow. Obviously this might change with club form and with performances in March. In each position, I've put them in order of most certain to least certain.

Goalkeepers: Marshall, Gordon, McLaughlin

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, O'Donnell, McKenna, Palmer, Cooper

Midfielders: McGinn, Christie, Jack, McGregor, Armstrong, McLean, Gilmour

Forwards: Dykes, Fraser, Forrest, McBurnie, Griffiths

On standby: Kelly (GK), Considine, Taylor, Fleck, Gauld, Paterson, Nisbet, Burke

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

In a couple of pages of absolutely wild posts, this is perhaps the top one. If he's fit, there is roughly a 0.0000001% chance of Ryan Christie not being picked in the squad. He's about the most technically gifted player we have, and literally scored the goal that helped us qualify. In fact, every member of that team that started in Belgrade will be in the squad barring an injury, there isn't really any good argument for excluding any of them.

In terms of some of the other chat, McCrorie needs to focus on breaking back into the Livingston team before he can think about being in the Scotland squad. At the moment I'd say he's more likely to spend 2021 playing in the Scottish Championship than he is playing at the Euros.

Here's what I expect the squad to be. This isn't my selection, it's what I'm expecting Clarke to go with if he had to pick it tomorrow. Obviously this might change with club form and with performances in March. In each position, I've put them in order of most certain to least certain.

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Gallagher, O'Donnell, McKenna, Palmer, Cooper

On standby: Kelly (GK), Considine, Taylor, Fleck, Gauld, Paterson, Nisbet, Burke

Coming in hot there, after completely misreading or not understanding my question.

Which was for clarity, pick YOUR squad. Not Steve Clarke's squad.

The unedited post is just back a page.

So in my squad yeah currently he would miss out. No room for sentimentality. There's tough decisions to make all over.

Its Christmas, try chilling out a bit and have a laugh. Its a discussion about football its not life or death.

Why not join in and pick your squad 🤷‍♂️

Sounds reasonable as an SC squad. Now what would your selection be and why?

My squad would be very close to that.

I'd lean towards having Fleck over McLean because I think he offers a bit more as a player in terms of energy and is smarter in the sort of counter-attacking positions we'll often get in to.

I'd definitely drop McBurnie if he doesn't improve massively in the next triple header, and would bring in whoever the most in-form striker is - currently that would be Nisbet.

I'd really like to drop Palmer because I don't think he's very good in this system at all, but I'm not sure who I'd bring in. It would be a big call to ask Hickey to be in as cover for right wing-back when he hasn't played there much before, but maybe I'd go for him because I think he is a really good fit to the system and has a great attitude and excellent technical ability.

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Coming in hot there, after completely misreading or not understanding my question.

Which was for clarity, pick YOUR squad. Not Steve Clarke's squad.

The unedited post is just back a page.

So in my squad yeah currently he would miss out. No room for sentimentality. There's tough decisions to make all over.

Its Christmas, try chilling out a bit and have a laugh. Its a discussion about football its not life or death.

Why not join in and pick your squad 🤷‍♂️

Dropping Christie for Turnbull is fucking mental behaviour.

8 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Picking Ryan Christie in the squad has nothing to do with sentimentality and everything to do with the fact that he is fairly obviously one of our most talented players. I would seriously question the judgement of anyone who can't see that.

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Paterson should be on standby for retirement