Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

ps - maybe we should take a minute to register the fact we're currently arguing about which players are too good to leave out of a Finals squad - strange times!

Absolutely, but I dont think anyones forgotten tbf.

Hopefully we don't get anymore good players in contention. Just to stop us tearing each others hair out.

The only two I've seen with an irrational hardon for McBurnie is [mention=79846]G51[/mention] and [mention=78729]Carnoustie Young Guvnor[/mention]
The@G51 discussion re. McBurnie few weeks ago was truly mind boggling. He was singing the praises of a striker who had had no assists or goals in c. 6 months.
Bizarre to say the least.

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

No offence, but this is rubbish.

The history of the Scottish National Team is littered with examples of players who have made an instant impact.

We don't even have to look back that far - Ryan Fraser in a couple of games made himself basically undroppable, until he wasn't available and Ryan Christie came in and did the exact same thing - how many of us were wanting Armstrong in ahead of Christie?

Dykes went from, meh to first name on the teamsheet in a couple of games.

There are 3 games in March. The likes of Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour must at least be called up. If they impress in training they might get a start, and if they impress in the games, they might get a call up for the Euros.

We've also had times, bad ones, when players were kept in, cause the manager didn't want to change his team

Like strach failing to call up all conquering Celtic players until it was almost gone, sticking with past it players

A good international manager will bring in form players. Turnbull must be coming in

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Hopefully we don't get anymore good players in contention. Just to stop us tearing each others hair out.

It's a good point though

Few years back Fletcher was midfield general saviour when he'd barely played for man u

Gilmour can't get out of u21s

Similar, Armstrong can't get in team, when ever present top half prem

Etc

Edited by Binos

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

No offence, but this is rubbish.

The history of the Scottish National Team is littered with examples of players who have made an instant impact.

We don't even have to look back that far - Ryan Fraser in a couple of games made himself basically undroppable, until he wasn't available and Ryan Christie came in and did the exact same thing - how many of us were wanting Armstrong in ahead of Christie?

Dykes went from, meh to first name on the teamsheet in a couple of games.

There are 3 games in March. The likes of Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour must at least be called up. If they impress in training they might get a start, and if they impress in the games, they might get a call up for the Euros.

Nah that's pish. Gauld may well play in March but no manager is dropping an established player for an actual tournament after one or two caps unless the player scores about seven in each game which isn't going to happen. Barring injuries there's no chance Gauld goes to the Euros, but every chance he plays for Scotland in March.

I think you're forgetting this is his first season as a regular in the top flight ever since he left Scotland.  You're comparing him to Fraser who had 150 games in the premiership under his belt at that point. Its laughable.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah that's pish. Gauld may well play in March but no manager is dropping an established player for an actual tournament after one or two caps unless the player scores about seven in each game which isn't going to happen. Barring injuries there's no chance Gauld goes to the Euros, but every chance he plays for Scotland in March.

I think you're forgetting this is his first season as a regular in the top flight ever since he left Scotland.  You're comparing him to Fraser who had 150 games in the premiership under his belt at that point. Its laughable.

Would you take dykes to the euros?

If gauld plays in march and does well, he'll be about as established as dykes is now

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Tbf that is true, if he plays seven times and scores twice in our three games in March.

If he plays 3 games and scores 3 goals

He's got no chance at the euros cause he wouldn't be established enough?

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He won't and he won't, and probably not anyway.  Who would you drop?

More realistically Turnbull could

Who would you drop

If you never dropped anyone for form players no international team would ever change

11 minutes ago, Binos said:

It's a good point though

Few years back Fletcher was midfield general saviour when he'd barely played for man u

Gilmour can't get out of u21s

Similar, Armstrong can't get in team, when ever present top half prem

Etc

It probably helped establish fletcher for his club. It would be beneficial for us Gilmour and Chelsea if we started playing him as early as possible.

49 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

It probably helped establish fletcher for his club. It would be beneficial for us Gilmour and Chelsea if we started playing him as early as possible.

If he was Welsh, n Irish, southern Irish would already be well in the side

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Unfortunately mainly midfielders

People in Scotland refer to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland. Unsure why many use this colonial term, more balls than we have.
Anyway your point is valid.

Got a very staunch uncle who insists on using that term so that probably tells you what you need to know.

9 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

People in Scotland refer to the Republic of Ireland as Southern Ireland. Unsure why many use this colonial term, more balls than we have.
Anyway your point is valid.

Its quite offensive to them and completely uncalled for.  I don't understand why some have antipathy towards them, think its a colonial hangover that was bred into people in the 18th and 19th centuries now just lazy racism.  But there is no Southern Ireland, we invaded, occupied and colonised a bit of Ireland and called it North Ireland that doesn't make the rest of it the South.

Its quite offensive to them and completely uncalled for.

Why take offence? Either the person is using it without realising the underlying connotations in which case it's forgivable though ignorant (see The Netherlands =/= Holland), or they're doing it maliciously in which case they're the ones coming across as arseholes.
It's like when someone in the politics forum refers to Jockland, why would I get offended about that?

33 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Why take offence? Either the person is using it without realising the underlying connotations in which case it's forgivable though ignorant (see The Netherlands =/= Holland), or they're doing it maliciously in which case they're the ones coming across as arseholes.
It's like when someone in the politics forum refers to Jockland, why would I get offended about that?

Because its a racist term. That's like a black person saying if someone calls me a n*gger why would I be offended?  Because its offensive.