Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't mean this in an offensive or cheeky way, but if he's so good as to be a game-changer then why is Steve Clarke not picking him? why is he playing in the MLS instead of Italy, Spain or the Premier League? Why didn't Sporting Lisbon keep him on? These are all signs that are pointing away from that idea for me.

I think the MLS is probably like you say better than the SPFL, but I'm not sure it's that much better. It's something that was covered back in this thread a year or two ago when Johnny Russell was banging goals in for fun.

Well Southampton were looking to sign him when he left Portugal, so I guess Vancouver just made him a better offer, probably based on game time, importance to the team, etc. rather than money. Also, Vancouver is regarded as one of the best cities in the world for quality of life and that. Not sure where Southampton ranks.

As to the standard of the MLS, well it's difficult to judge as it's such a large league, so there's obviously a wider spread of talent than you're likely to find elsewhere. But it's patently better than the SPFL.

Do you think that if Gauld had been playing in the SPFL, let's say for Kilmarnock, for the last two and a bit seasons and turning in the displays and stats that he has at Vancouver, he'd have got a call up?

I think it's a bit of a shame he hasn't made a squad. At least that way they get an up close look at him and can judge it.

I do wonder if it's a case of just not quite worth the effort, if he was potentially going to displace McGinn that's one thing, if he is maybe going to replace our fourth or fifth attacking midfielder or striker that is something else. 

I think it would be worth it but what do I know.

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

Do you think that if Gauld had been playing in the SPFL, let's say for Kilmarnock, for the last two and a bit seasons and turning in the displays and stats that he has at Vancouver, he'd have got a call up?

As far as I can remember, since the return from Covid in 2020 (ie when the real upturn in form under Clarke started), the only attacking midfielders or forwards we've called up from SPFL clubs other than Celtic have been Nisbet, Shankland, Ferguson and McKay. McKay was for a single game at relatively short notice too. So beyond that emergency one, we've got two strikers who were banging in goals for Hibs and Hearts, one of whom was already part of the squad beforehand, and an Aberdeen player who was clearly destined for a big move.

Since the start of last season, Danny Armstrong has 15 goals and 15 assists for Killie, and isn't exactly knocking down the door to the squad.

3 hours ago, The Algebraist said:

I think it's a bit of a shame he hasn't made a squad. At least that way they get an up close look at him and can judge it.

'They' have already judged it and at the moment he is surplus to requirements, that couldn't be clearer. It's fans that want to have a wee look for themselves basically, shiny toy scenario.

Gauld tearing it up in the MLS is nothing new, he's been doing it consistently for a long time now. There's never been anything stopping Steve Clarke calling him up for a look for years now, when we were in the doldrums.

Why hasn't he?

Edited by 2426255

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Gauld tearing it up in the MLS is nothing new, he's been doing it consistently for a long time now.

That's not the case. He has been performing well for a while and I wasn't that bothered about him TBF. It is only since the start of the summer he has been the outstanding performer in that league (if you take Messi out of the equation). My main gripe is that doesn't seem to have changed some people's opinion of him even in the slightest.

I think it is probably right that Clarke isn't picking him (just yet). If he keeps up this form into the new season in Feb/Mar 24 then there could be chance he gets brought in for some friendlies so that he doesn't lose the option of playing for Canada if it doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Since the start of last season, Danny Armstrong has 15 goals and 15 assists for Killie, and isn't exactly knocking down the door to the squad.

Ha! That's me told. I was going to say R*****s, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

15 hours ago, immcinto said:

That's not the case. He has been performing well for a while and I wasn't that bothered about him TBF. It is only since the start of the summer he has been the outstanding performer in that league (if you take Messi out of the equation). My main gripe is that doesn't seem to have changed some people's opinion of him even in the slightest.

I think it is probably right that Clarke isn't picking him (just yet). If he keeps up this form into the new season in Feb/Mar 24 then there could be chance he gets brought in for some friendlies so that he doesn't lose the option of playing for Canada if it doesn't work out.

That's fine, we'll just have to wait and see and pick it back up later.

With respect to citizenship, Gauld will become eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship if he remains with the Whitecaps until the end of 2025.1 His contract ends at some point in 2024.2 He will therefore have to make a choice before he becomes eligible around whether he wants to extend his stay in Canada or perhaps pursue a move back to Europe.

Could be difficult to leave Canada with the promise of eligibility in a year potentially leading to representing Canada at World Cup 2026 and at 28 years old he'll be entering last big contract territory and Vancouver will probably make him a tempting offer.

1. https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/ryan-gauld-cites-rangers-example-as-mls-star-considers-switching-allegience-after-scotland-snub-4095339
  2. https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-acquire-scottish-attacking-midfielder-ryan-gauld
Edited by 2426255

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 06:25, 2426255 said:

That's fine, we'll just have to wait and see and pick it back up later.

With respect to citizenship, Gauld will become eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship if he remains with the Whitecaps until the end of 2025.1 His contract ends at some point in 2024.2 He will therefore have to make a choice before he becomes eligible around whether he wants to extend his stay in Canada or perhaps pursue a move back to Europe.

Could be difficult to leave Canada with the promise of eligibility in a year potentially leading to representing Canada at World Cup 2026 and at 28 years old he'll be entering last big contract territory and Vancouver will probably make him a tempting offer.

1. https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/ryan-gauld-cites-rangers-example-as-mls-star-considers-switching-allegience-after-scotland-snub-4095339
  2. https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-acquire-scottish-attacking-midfielder-ryan-gauld

I didn't realise he had never had a full Scotland cap. Just assumed he would've had one by now.

33 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Missed 2 penalties in one match last night 

Burger king beckons

It must be the hope that kills him.

Could've made assistant manager by now if he'd knuckled down and given up on this football nonsense.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It must be the hope that kills him.

Could've made assistant manager by now if he'd knuckled down and given up on this football nonsense.

I’m pretty sure his Portuguese clubs gave him every possible opportunity to become a deputy shift manager.  His heart wasn’t in it, or he wasn’t up to it. No point in trying to convert the boy.  

Just out of interest, what level is the MLS compared to the European leagues, and in particular what level are Vancouver Whitecaps at, say in comparison to the Scottish Scottish Premiership?

I think Steve Clarke should give the boy a cap. If for no other reason than to give this thread some substance.

20 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Just out of interest, what level is the MLS compared to the European leagues, and in particular what level are Vancouver Whitecaps at, say in comparison to the Scottish Scottish Premiership?

Well the MLS recently signed a $2.5bn TV deal, so if it is worse, I'm guessing not for long.

8 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Well the MLS recently signed a $2.5bn TV deal, so if it is worse, I'm guessing not for long.

I don’t know if it is worse. I just wondered if anyone on here regularly watches the MLS. I’m assuming not, but I thought I’d ask.

If they have a good TV deal now, does that mean we’ll see more European and South American players moving there?