Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

25 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Got me thinking, what other players have we had over the years that people would not shut the f**k up about not getting caps? Obviously Shankland is one. Seem to recall there being similar level of malding over Dorrans and McCormack when they were doing well in the Championship. Kris Boyd. Fletcher and McGregor when Levein fell out with them.

Stephen Dobbie.

I remember Dorrans' first season in the championship. He was genuinely unplayable. I honestly thought he'd go on to play for one of the top teams. Probably the highest hopes I've had for a player outside of Gauld, Robertson and Gilmour. Maybe Bannan would be up there but only as a prospect. Dorrans was actually a consistent performer at 21-22 and it seemed like he was destined for greater things

23 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Here is the official "Why isn't he getting a chance!!!" alumni XI

Bobby Allain
Max Johnston - Liam Lindsay - Harry Souttar - Josh Doig
Graeme Dorrans - Tom Cairney - Lennon Miller
Ryan Gauld
Rhodes - Shankland

Bobby Allan! Forgot about him 😃

Going back a bit, I will say Ally Dick on the wing.

23 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Here is the official "Why isn't he getting a chance!!!" alumni XI

Bobby Allain
Max Johnston - Liam Lindsay - Harry Souttar - Josh Doig
Graeme Dorrans - Tom Cairney - Lennon Miller
Ryan Gauld
Rhodes - Shankland

Bobby Allan! Forgot about him 😃

Going back a bit, I will say Ally Dick on the wing.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

You're just showcasing the inverse of that attitude right now? 🤨

What is it in those posts that you actually disagree with? Besides looking for an argument in an empty room.

I wasn’t part of the Gauld fan club but actively wanting a player who might improve the team to be shit, because there was a lot of clamour for them, is weirdo behaviour. The kind of behaviour you would expect of smarmy know-it-alls who could never admit they might have misjudged something.

27 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Sporting tried to turn him into a 6 which seems absolutely mental looking back.

It maybe says a lot about the technical difference between Portugal and smaller countries like us (but definitely not only us despite what some would say). A player like Gauld is a really creative player by our league's standards, but guys like that are much more common there and so his creative talent doesn't stand out and they might have number 10s better than him. At that point it's his tenacity (one of the things our players are excellent with) which they think might stand him in better stead, and so they hope they can stick him a bit deeper.

It's kind of similar to what I think I've said before when they've been comparing him to Christie or Armstrong. He looks much more technically good compared to them, but how much of that is down to the level the players are at? Would that still apply if he was in a Premier League team rather than in the MLS, and of course the inverse, would Christie and Armstrong look really technically good in MLS (we'll get to find out with the latter). I think the step up to the absolute elite is a lot higher than people expect, especially for someone whose biggest strengths are technical rather than physical.

Got me thinking, what other players have we had over the years that people would not shut the f**k up about not getting caps? Obviously Shankland is one. Seem to recall there being similar level of malding over Dorrans and McCormack when they were doing well in the Championship. Kris Boyd. Fletcher and McGregor when Levein fell out with them.

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jordan Rhodes was the big one.

Must admit to being bemused on why Rhodes wasn't being played for a number of years, at Huddersfield and Blackburn, his goal scoring was phenomenal. However, I wasn't in the "people would not shut the f**k up about not getting caps" bracket. I do tend to look more at those who are selected than those not.

Just for good measure, I'm going to throw in Leigh Griffiths. There were a good few years where he fell into that category. Then he got a run in the team and was anonymous. People will always point to his double against England and go "he was brilliant for Scotland" and although those were absolutely brilliant moments, he was far from brilliant for Scotland.

You're just showcasing the inverse of that attitude right now? 🤨

Not at all, if Gauld never made an appearance it wouldn't have mattered to me. I'm not some sort of fanboy who has campaigned for years to have him in the starting line up. I'm glad there's a player being considered that appears to offer us something maybe a wee bit different to what we already have. That's it. 

13 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Must admit to being bemused on why Rhodes wasn't being played for a number of years, at Huddersfield and Blackburn, his goal scoring was phenomenal. However, I wasn't in the "people would not shut the f**k up about not getting caps" bracket. I do tend to look more at those who are selected than those not.

I think it just came down to the fact that goalscorers are seen as a luxury unless they can contribute in other ways. Stephen Fletcher was seen as a better option because he was a target man who (in theory) could hold the ball up for the midfield to try and score.

Gary Lineker became one of England's all-time top goalscorers by hanging about in the right positions for tap-ins created by more talented players. He'd only be a starter for us against the minnows.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Gary Lineker became one of England's all-time top goalscorers by hanging about in the right positions for tap-ins created by more talented players. He'd only be a starter for us against the minnows.

A player with Lineker's career would have been starting every game for us. The poachers we have are Boyds and Shanklands who play at Scottish Premiership level, which is why they don't always get to play against vastly superior opposition.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A player with Lineker's career would have been starting every game for us. The poachers we have are Boyds and Shanklands who play at Scottish Premiership level, which is why they don't always get to play against vastly superior opposition.

Hopefully we'll find out someday.

It's not that he just never got caps, but I never understood why Scott Booth was always treated like an afterthought while he was playing at the peak of his powers in the Eredivisie. 22 Caps for a player that was good enough to play for Borussia Dortmund and several Dutch sides seems like an aberration. Again, probably not an example of precisely what you are talking about because I don't recall many people clamouring for him at the time, but I certainly thought it was strange. Era of Gallacher, Durie, Jackson, and even late McCoist, and Broon known for favouring players that fit a system and played a certain way, but still, I couldn't really understand why Scotland appeared to have next to no use for a player of obvious quality.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

Any half decent Scottish St.Johnstone player going through a purple patch.

Whereas any bog standard player with a link to Kilmarnock is in the squad no questions asked. Dreadful players like O’Donnell, Findlay, Brophy & Taylor stinking the place up.

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's not that he just never got caps, but I never understood why Scott Booth was always treated like an afterthought while he was playing at the peak of his powers in the Eredivisie. 22 Caps for a player that was good enough to play for Borussia Dortmund and several Dutch sides seems like an aberration. Again, probably not an example of precisely what you are talking about because I don't recall many people clamouring for him at the time, but I certainly thought it was strange. Era of Gallacher, Durie, Jackson, and even late McCoist, and Broon known for favouring players that fit a system and played a certain way, but still, I couldn't really understand why Scotland appeared to have next to no use for a player of obvious quality.

This is the whole "they can't be much good if they aren't at the Old Firm or playing in the (English) Premiership" thing, isn't it.

I don't think that's quite as prevalent now, although you still see it with Scottish Premiership players and anyone playing in foreign leagues that we've decided are still inferior to our own, despite all evidence to the contrary.