Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make a decent point in your first sentence. Not sure about smaller classes though. TBH if a kid can't cope in a class of 30 they won't cope in a class of 18 either. When they go to Uni they'll be in a class of perhaps 150 so from my perspective this is a non starter.

There's a temptation to assume Chantelle's problems can be solved at school. They can't. She and many like her have deep rooted problems. No idea how you solve those.

Considering school alone, I'm not persuaded that these kids have the same access to good teachers as their middle class counterparts. That is what school's can do to now - improve opportunity for everyone. It's fair to say that the best teachers will avoid the worst schools. Pissing about with class sizes is very much secondary to this problem.

Equal opportunity is the key.

Disagree massively - twice!

Teaching a class of 18 is far better for everyone concerned than a class of 30. The quiet kids who never ask for support get automatically ignored with a large class but with a smaller class you do get time to get round everyone fairly regularly. It costs a fortune to lower class sizes but in my view it would have a big impact on the standard of learning and teaching in this country.

Secondly, some of the best teachers are in the schools with the worst reputations - and there are plenty of bang average teachers that find themselves in good schools and never leave. The NQT scheme has also led to excellent young teachers going to all types of schools and having a big impact. Many of them stay and become permanent.

Anyone got a link to this Better Together cinema advert that has been getting booed?

www.scotsman.com/video

Its under the scottish independence tab, but don't bother - its even cringier than you'd think.

www.scotsman.com/video

Its under the scottish independence tab, but don't bother - its even cringier than you'd think.

It's basically the same as their other videos but with intense smiling.

We don't need to leave the UK to be Scottish

Yeah because the yes campaign have been determined to spread that message so far....

and the opportunity of being part of one of the biggest economies in the world

With plans to remain part of/join (whatever way you want to spin it) the EU is that at all relevant?

The world is changing; it's more connected than other. I live here but my world goes beyond our borders

Oh right yeah because the vote is about isolation and ending cooperation with the other nations of the earth.... When it comes to this border talk the 'Yes' camp is infinitely times more compatible with the ideas of globalisation.

We can do so much more when we work together

Yup that's how politics works. The bigger a nation state is; the better it is for their people.

Came across #footballremembers on Twitter. Seems the Earl of Strathearn has got his FA and EPL mates to join in. Is he forgetting Irish & Scottish soldiers who participated in the December 1914 Christmas truce football?

Came across #footballremembers on Twitter. Seems the Earl of Strathearn has got his FA and EPL mates to join in. Is he forgetting Irish & Scottish soldiers who participated in the December 1914 Christmas truce football?

And?

Once again a reporter on the BBC was implying that the only two outcomes for Scotland in regards to it's constitutional future were further devolution or complete independence.

When are they going to stop spreading this utter lie?

Once again a reporter on the BBC was implying that the only two outcomes for Scotland in regards to it's constitutional future were further devolution or complete independence.

Yes they keep forgetting Ruth Davidsons line in the sand. NO MORE POWERS.

"mock seethe"

It isn't a lie though. Unless the Scotland Act 2012 is repealled, the status quo is the introduction of, admittedly modest, further devolution than is presently enjoyed.

You can doubt whether there will be further powers beyond that. I do, and it's the reason I'm voting Yes. But it's not a lie to say the two possibilities at the moment are further Devolution or Independence.

It isn't a lie though. Unless the Scotland Act 2012 is repealled, the status quo is the introduction of, admittedly modest, further devolution than is presently enjoyed.

You can doubt whether there will be further powers beyond that. I do, and it's the reason I'm voting Yes. But it's not a lie to say the two possibilities at the moment are further Devolution or Independence.

Remember wendy alexander after SNP came to power in their first term wanted to restore some powers to westminster (because they were no longer in control, not because Scotland couldnt cope).

Then wee ruthie drew a line in the sand demanding no more powers.

Scotland can no longer sit back and wait for jam tommorow.

We cant trust any party who's main intrest is westminster. They will sell you out every time.

I Often wonder what title alister darling was promised to run BT.

Not a lie but even worse imo, as you know very well they are trying to convey the idea that a No vote will result in powers beyond those already agreed. Typical lack of impartiality - context is everything.

So you're categorically stating that Westminster will not take powers from Holyrood in the event of a no vote? It will 100% not happen?

So you're categorically stating that Westminster will not take powers from Holyrood in the event of a no vote? It will 100% not happen?

Please dont reply to this with "the Scottish people wont stand for it if they do." or "Scottish labour wont let that happen" for we all know that in the event of a No vote, we will be powerless from preventing this from happening.

With every utterance BT sell this country short and weaken any chance of getting extra powers later.

Scotland has to be granted these powers from westminster, we cant vote for them.

You of all people AD lib should kno that was a silly argument to make.

I think the possibility of that happening is vanishingly small for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, the Sewel Convention applies to any amendment of the Scotland Act, so even if a Westminster Government wanted to remove some of the devolved competences they would, in reality, need Holyrood's consent. Secondly, though, if they were to attempt to alter the list of reserved matters by way of a s30 Order, the Scotland Act makes Holyrood's consent mandatory.

Thirdly, I can't think of a single power that Westminster would consider it necessary or expedient to withdraw from Holyrood's competence. The Scotland Act 2012 already tidied up the loose ends over competence. Can you name me a single power you think it will take back?

Put simply, for Westminster to take away powers from the Scottish Parliament without its consent would be a moment of constitutional crisis from which no Westminster government could conceivably recover. It's not going to happen.

Archived