Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that Margaret Curran has said that a No vote will guarantee more powers for Hollyrood.

Would that sway anyone's opinion?

Personally it makes no difference to me. At best the new powers are polishing a turd that will make no difference, and at worse and most probable it's a lie that won't be honoured.

I see that Margaret Curran has said that a No vote will guarantee more powers for Hollyrood.

Personally it makes no difference to me. At best the new powers are polishing a turd that will make no difference, and at worse and most probable it's a lie that won't be honoured.

A Yes vote will guarantee more powers for Holyrood. In fact it will guarantee all powers for Holyrood.

It's funny how having some powers means we're secure but having all powers sees us slide into oblivion.

Just ask No voters which government has done the better job with the powers at their disposal. Holyrood, or Westminster. When they sheepishly return their answer as the former, then ask them that surely this means that Holyrood would do a better job of controlling matters currently reserved to Westminster, such as Welfare, which they are making a complete mess of.

Guarantee eh? I'd like to see proof of that.

The only guarantee for more powers is a Yes vote. Fact.

Heartening to see our medalists get emotional when the National Anthem strikes up.

How long till Mr Bairn chips in with a sarcy comment about the anthem?

Those in here drawing a conclusion about independence or trying to score a point in the indy debate based on the colour of the Red Arrows smoke, the innocent mistakes of commentators or the tears of a medal winner are showing themselves as a bit obsessed.

Enjoy the games. They have been spectacular so far.

It's not all about politics all the time.

Yip the no mob are scrambling for anything,especially the pettiness of changing the smoke in the red arrows,which doesnt put me up or down

Yes is coming,live with it :)

But, but, they're 20 points ahead...They can't lose....But lets change the smoke anyway just in case...And whilst we're at it don't let them sing their national anthem...And get some Union flags into the crowd - put a Saltire on one side so we get away with it!

But, but, they're 20 points ahead...They can't lose....But lets change the smoke anyway just in case...And whilst we're at it don't let them sing their national anthem...And get some Union flags into the crowd - put a Saltire on one side so we get away with it!

Must think of the Empire!

On the assumption that the report is accurate, I can't imagine that the colours of the smoke would have influenced anyone's vote come 18/9/14.

Then some people make a big deal about it and all of a sudden what I consider a minor issue has become a grievance in the independence debate.

The RAF is a UK institution. Whilst we remain in the UK, having some signs and symbols of the UK are part of the multi-layered identity many of us refer to (I concede some don't).

I can see why the UK Sec of Defence might want red, white and blue but I'm not personally that fussed what colours they spray.

I certainly didn't think there was any shortage of Saltires or Scottish symbolism last night (could have done without Barrowman, though).

Unlike some of the reaction I've read in here, I'm not going to perceive the smoke thing as a deliberate insult to Scotland or as part of some "evil Unionist conspiracy" to sway the Indy vote and I'll get on with enjoying the games.

Unlike some of the reaction I've read in here, I'm not going to perceive the smoke thing as a deliberate insult to Scotland or as part of some "evil Unionist conspiracy" to sway the Indy vote and I'll get on with enjoying the games.

I think the fact that the Commonwealth committee wanted blue and white smoke and the Defence Sec stepped in to overrule is a sign that the UK government wanted to make a statement about unionism.

Salmond said that the Scottish government would not politicise the games. This is the right thing to do.

The UK government, by over-ruling the committee, have politicised the games.

More to the point, should the Defence Sec really be getting involved with this? Surely there's more important shit for him to be concerning himself with?

I think the fact that the Commonwealth committee wanted blue and white smoke and the Defence Sec stepped in to overrule is a sign that the UK government wanted to make a statement about unionism.

Salmond said that the Scottish government would not politicise the games. This is the right thing to do.

The UK government, by over-ruling the committee, have politicised the games.

More to the point, should the Defence Sec really be getting involved with this? Surely there's more important shit for him to be concerning himself with?

Bbc say that hammond said no because they are the british red arrows.

Did the SG ask for blue and white or the commonwealth organisers?

On the assumption that the report is accurate, I can't imagine that the colours of the smoke would have influenced anyone's vote come 18/9/14.

Then some people make a big deal about it and all of a sudden what I consider a minor issue has become a grievance in the independence debate.

The RAF is a UK institution. Whilst we remain in the UK, having some signs and symbols of the UK are part of the multi-layered identity many of us refer to (I concede some don't).

I can see why the UK Sec of Defence might want red, white and blue but I'm not personally that fussed what colours they spray.

I certainly didn't think there was any shortage of Saltires or Scottish symbolism last night (could have done without Barrowman, though).

Unlike some of the reaction I've read in here, I'm not going to perceive the smoke thing as a deliberate insult to Scotland or as part of some "evil Unionist conspiracy" to sway the Indy vote and I'll get on with enjoying the

games.

We have been getting told for months how much the rUK care about Scotland, how they don't want to break up the family etc... Even going as far as Davie Cameron flying the saltire above Downing Street on St.Andrews day.

Yet we've not allowed to have our national colours flown over the opening ceremony by the red arrows even though we do pay a fair wack towards the military budget, and the red arrows not having a problem doing it

I highly doubt it will make people vote no, but it is just a childish stunt from the UK government

mmmh

The Ministry of Defence insisted it would never allow that the world-famous RAF aerobatic display team to perform in anything other than its celebrated red, white and blue of the Union Flag saying it was a “UK military asset that was there to welcome the Queen”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/commonwealth-games-2014-mod-refuses-request-to-let-red-arrows-use-scottish-colours-9626937.html

but wait....

Squadron Leader Dicky Patounas, Red Arrows Team Leader, said: "As the only home nation representing the UK in the tournament, The Red Arrows are proud to fly the flag for England. Lots of us would love to have had the skill to play football for our country, and being a member of The Red Arrows is our version of that honour. Hopefully red and white will prove as good for the England team as they are for us.

http://www.modoracle.com/news_articles/mod_news/Flying_The_Flag%20_Red_Arrows_Show_Their_Support_For_England_11004.htm

Red%20Arrows%20Flag.jpg

No surprise that the cybernats are all over this like a few utter simpleton's that will shortly be getting removed from my Facebook friends.

Seriously go read a book or run a 5k or have a w*** or something mildly productive rather than sitting on here crying your heart out that the RAF doesn't care all that much about the top third of the island. Did the red arrows fly a green and yellow pattern over Melbourne in 2006?

Bbc say that hammond said no because they are the british red arrows.

Did the SG ask for blue and white or the commonwealth organisers?

The red arrows have used blue and white smoke before, why force them to use red white and blue now?

No surprise that the cybernats are all over this like a few utter simpleton's that will shortly be getting removed from my Facebook friends.

Seriously go read a book or run a 5k or have a w*** or something mildly productive rather than sitting on here crying your heart out that the RAF doesn't care all that much about the top third of the island. Did the red arrows fly a green and yellow pattern over Melbourne in 2006?

Jesus Christ, you're a moron.

Archived