Scottish Independence

xbl

Darling on radio Scotland this morning asking a caller " do you want to pay higher taxes? Well that's what will happen if you want to pay for it".

What are these new powers you are promising Scotland?

The power to raise taxes.

So instead of getting taxed slightly higher in an independent Scotland once, we should stay part of the UK and get taxed slightly higher twice.

Na, yer awe right.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are probably right though and Scotland is better off in the long run away from westminster. But It will be a hard decade before it emerges, and it will get worse before it gets better.

Didn't read further than this because I've heard this from quite a number of No voters and it's such a fucking stupid argument. Would you rather 10 years of shite or a lifetime of shite? You say you think things will get better under a Yes vote but you don't want that. What a c**t.

It's almost as ridiculous as the one No voters come out with on nuclear weapons. "Aye but even if it's a Yes vote you'll still have the weapons for 5-10 years". :1eye

We don't vote for Prime Ministers.

Part of the problem, surely. Becuase of our monarchical system, but having the need to function as a democracy, the head of the legislature takes on near executive powers. So that while you are technically correct in that we don't vote for a PM, the public perception and indeed, the parties own PR strategy does turn it into a personality contest between the leaders as to who's bes tto run the country.

It's the usual disconnection between how are system is set up and how it runs in real life.

It's things like this that now make me firmly believe that Yes will win. People on the ground are listening, and what they are hearing is the only way to create a better Scotland is by voting Yes.

Despite the scaremongering, despite the wall to wall bias of the self interested MSM, despite poll after poll showing that we couldn't win this our resolve has not been broken, even now when it appears that the vote is closer than ever we do not relax, we double our efforts to get our positive message across.

I have to admit I've wavered a couple of times, doubted that there were enough like minded people in Scotland to get this over the line or that it would all end in glorious failure as is the Scottish way, but I'm now convinced that the working majority will get the job done.

Every day I see more support for Yes in Aberdeen and the Shire, every day on my commute there are more massive Yes banners on trees, houses, businesses and even f'n horses (seen this in Stonehaven yesterday). I know we don't count sings or banners next Thursday but the sheer increase in public displays of affection for Yes in this last 10 days has been quite overwhelming.

I have no idea who you are but I fucking love you x

The above is pretty much my thought process.

Trident subs currently carry 8 missiles, so that's about 64 potential "Hiroshima's" per sub.

Good point. With only one Sub on patrol at any given time, you are talking a very limited response to agression. Mutually Assured Destruction only works when destruction is, well, mutually assured. With our limited counter strike capability, the other side would be willing to chance it, if it thought it could obliterate the UK but still be damaged but functional itself. So what's the point in it?

The last couple of days truly have been quite unbelievable. They really have shown how out of touch Westminster is with the public opinion in Scotland. As its probably been noted, their love-bombing and discusssions have been incredibly counter-productive.

You've got Cameron, banging on about a special alchemy despite claiming before that he wouldn't get involved, and how Scotland couldn't have a devo max option and there would be no negotiation on taxation. You have Milliband telling us Labour will win the next election with us and all will be perfect. Then you've got Nick Clegg, who frankly, is a complete political irrelevance.

Meanwhile, Gordon Brown is telling us that we've been through so much, and how Scotland deserves more powers. This despite having the chance to change it when he was in power.

Finally, you've got the blast from the past in the form of John Major. He was on the radio this morning telling us how important it was to keep trident, and be a leading part of NATO and the G8 and maintaining defence. How out of touch are these fuckers? Does anyone realistically think having a nuclear defence system costing billions is something which the ordinary people actually want?

Gestures like putting up saltires down south and discussion potential increases in devolved powers with no one strong outline from the parties are absolutely pointless. Far too little, far too late. The debate has been seen as an irrelevance in London up until the start of the week. They've shat it and now they're combining these and an increase in scare stories to hope people fall in line. The problem is that a lot of people are calling them on their bullshit.

Despite the scare stories, I think the Yes campaign will pull through for victory. The last few weeks really have given me far more insight than before.

Dear God, did I really just see John Prestcott on Sky News telling an assembled crowd of No supporters in Glasgow, 'I've got a revolutionary thought for you, perhaps if England and Scotland had one (football) team, we could at last beat the Germans'? That one went down well. He managed to stun even this hand-picked, hitherto noisy group into nervous, contemplative introspection. Good job they got the Westminster politicos on the case, BT clearly hadn't been doing quite enough damage on their own.

Dear God, did I really just see John Prestcott on Sky News telling an assembled crowd of No supporters in Glasgow, 'I've got a revolutionary thought for you, perhaps if England and Scotland had one (football) team, we could at last beat the Germans'? That one went down well. He managed to stun even this hand-picked, hitherto noisy group into nervous, contemplative introspection. Good job they got the Westminster politicos on the case, BT clearly hadn't been doing quite enough damage on their own.

Fucking hell lol

Brilliant :lol:

Good point. With only one Sub on patrol at any given time, you are talking a very limited response to agression. Mutually Assured Destruction only works when destruction is, well, mutually assured. With our limited counter strike capability, the other side would be willing to chance it, if it thought it could obliterate the UK but still be damaged but functional itself. So what's the point in it?

Does anyone actually like the concept of both being incinerated ( or incinerating another innocent population elsewhere in the world) for the concept of our Great British empire. Westminster keeps trying to feed us tales of how we're the envy of the world and how we've our legacy from the empire. Has nobody broken it to them that we're bit part players? I'd far rather we focused on developing our own economic infrastructure as opposed to wasting money on a nuclear system that we hope we never have to use.

In fairness he'll convince a lot of don't knows when that is repeated, as it will be. :)

I know. We could totally fucking have Germany at Hampden without any help thank you very much.

Archived