Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

Quite obviously not.

No, I'm right now. Salmond doesn't want devo. They.only want independance so he's right to have only 1 question on the ballot paper. Also people who are into devo may have more leanings towards yes than a staunch no voter. They don't have a that choice anymore. Independance or the chance of nothing at all is what is being offered.

Now, how on earth is having 1 question a positive for the no campaign ?

Oh, I don't know... because they are going to win easily?

So let me get this right. It's a triumph for the SNP to have a Yes/No question they are certain to lose?

No, it was TNS-BMRB.

I have the figures here, Yes were at 27%, a full 14 points behind.

Better Together poll was YouGov. In September 13 the No vote was 51%. Latest poll has them at 29% albeit with other options in poll. Still, quite a drop and shows how soft the No vote is ...

Better Together poll was YouGov. In September 13 the No vote was 51%. Latest poll has them at 29% albeit with other options in poll. Still, quite a drop and shows how soft the No vote is ...

Eh, what?

Please tell me you aren't comparing a 2 option poll with a 3 option poll.

The last Yes/No poll had Yes at a paltry 27%.

No, I'm right now. Salmond doesn't want devo. They.only want independance so he's right to have only 1 question on the ballot paper. Also people who are into devo may have more leanings towards yes than a staunch no voter. They don't have a that choice anymore. Independance or the chance of nothing at all is what is being offered.

He doesn't seem to want "independence" either.

Because yes cant win that.

Oh, I don't know... because they are going to win easily?

So let me get this right. It's a triumph for the SNP to have a Yes/No question they are certain to lose?

Aye. Whether they win or not has no bearing on this discussion. You are trying to say that having 1 question benefits the no campaign which is rubbish.

But we want independance not devo. Having 2 questions hinders the prospect of a yes vote for independance obviously.

Wheras two questions removes the bonus prize of devo max for the nationalists and kills you stone dead. There is absolutely no doubt that devo max would win hands down, this was always known. This is why Cameron made sure it was a straight yes/no, especially as the SNP had absolutely no mandate to bring this forward, they stood ona manifesto pledge to bring forth a referendum on independence, which is happening now. Burn the nationalists and allow the unionist parties to define and deliver whatever it is that devo max is liable to be if thats what they feel compelled to do.

Wheras two questions removes the bonus prize of devo max for the nationalists and kills you stone dead. There is absolutely no doubt that devo max would win hands down, this was always known. This is why Cameron made sure it was a straight yes/no, especially as the SNP had absolutely no mandate to bring this forward, they stood ona manifesto pledge to bring forth a referendum on independence, which is happening now. Burn the nationalists and allow the unionist parties to define and deliver whatever it is that devo max is liable to be if thats what they feel compelled to do.

Except that devo max was never properly scoped, it's a nebulous concept at best. How can you properly campaing for that unless you work out in advance with the Unionist parties and British government what it means? Seocndly, the second question would've left yes in the position of campaigning for two positions - as far as political movements go, it would've robbed any dynamism from the campaign. LIkely, Cameron didn't want it becuase he thought it could win easily and he didn't want any more devolution. yes didn't want it becuase it would likely split the vote in favour.

I can't see any advantages to either side having Devo max on the ticket.

Except that devo max was never properly scoped, it's a nebulous concept at best. How can you properly campaing for that unless you work out in advance with the Unionist parties and British government what it means? Seocndly, the second question would've left yes in the position of campaigning for two positions - as far as political movements go, it would've robbed any dynamism from the campaign. LIkely, Cameron didn't want it becuase he thought it could win easily and he didn't want any more devolution. yes didn't want it becuase it would likely split the vote in favour.

I can't see any advantages to either side having Devo max on the ticket.

If there is a No vote, which we know there will be, who has got what they wanted?

If there is a No vote, which we know there will be, who has got what they wanted?

Well, we don't know that there will be. Arguably a 1 question referendum is Salmond's best chance of getting the win, as I said a two question refernedum has huge disadvantages to those seeking independence, and would arguably rob both indy supporters and the Devo-maxers of any kind of victory by splitting the vote.

Well, we don't know that there will be. Arguably a 1 question referendum is Salmond's best chance of getting the win

Depends what you call a win doesn't it?

He's made a catastrophic blunder here. When No wins handsomely, all momentum built up is lost. There will be no way to spin it other than the Scottish people have comprehensively rejected Independence. We don't want it.

Where is there for the SNP to go after that?