Forgotten scottish bands

tongue_tied_danny

Not heard much from this band:

That was the bands first top 40 hit which entered the chart at no. 35 in July 1989.

Their biggest hit was in the summer of 1994 a cover of the Cameo song 'Word Up'

Live vocal performance of that on the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAyXu6sWdOY&hd=1

Gun eh? so apart from the comeback tours they've done in the last few years (saw them in Glasgow last year) and the sponsorship of Forth Wanderers JFC, naw, they're not up to much recently....

These guys seemed to be absolutely massive with people my age in Dundee when I was in doing standard grades at school in around 2008.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHmrBsFTBxc

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtHZCrsKh_M

Just listened to them for the first time in ages and they still sound brilliant to me. Anyone know what happened with them.

They split up after bringing an album out. Lead singer is now down in London trying to get a new band going. Seen them a few times and they were superb live.

The McKenzies had a few hits, and made a few albums, did they not?

They had the classic regionally weighted profile as the industry calls it. They were playing multiple nights at the likes of the Barras up here, then going down to say Leeds and playing in a pub. They never charted as high as they should have either, because a disproportionate number of their sales in chart return shops came from one part of the UK, ie Scotland.

Annie Christian

DeGrassi

Aereogramme

Urusei Yatsura

Kain

After guitar teching for them for years I ended up drumming with Kain at T in The Park.

Wilf is the rhythm guitarist and lead singer in The Tanguerays.

He's still playing the same Strat.

Edited by dave.j

Annie Christian

DeGrassi

Aereogramme

Urusei Yatsura

Kain

The guys from Aereogramme have had a couple of albums out in the last few years as The Unwinding Hours. I still absolutely love My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go, one of my favourite albums.

Spirea X.

Fireblade Skies still remains a great album.

I'd forgotten about them. ;)

The burd in the video dances like her feet are stuck to some pish stained carpet, but she'd still get rattled big time. I've always had a thing for short haired indie chicks. :wub:

And that reminds me...

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The ronelles were tipped for big things back in 2004 never heard much after that! Nice guys aswell. Cinematics were a cracking band, opened for them at strathclyde Uni. The hedrons were an all girl band with tippi something on lead vocals, mild success songs on tv etc but couldn't break through.

Raymond's doing really well, toured as guitarist with Proud Mary and is about to release a solo album, which the famous Bobby Keyes plays on.

I had him do a set at the Firhill Music Collective.

Wee Del still plays with his covers band I think, with Richard who stepped in to play with Kain when Wilf left.

Little known fact Del and Raymond's dad was Albion Rovers chairman.

Kain, Figure 5, The Ronelles, The Owsley Sunshine. Glasgow had some great bands at that time.

These guys seemed to be absolutely massive with people my age in Dundee when I was in doing standard grades at school in around 2008.

Just listened to them for the first time in ages and they still sound brilliant to me. Anyone know what happened with them.

Split up about 3 years ago, Nick Mercer the singer and i think the guitarist and drummer formed a new band called Saint Kilda with a female singer but the stuff they were doing was totally different from Seargent. Shame really watched them support Oasis at the SECC then about 4 times on their own,still got a signed copy of the album in a cupboard somewhere.