Your Old Stadium

Would of meant away fans getting a pint in the centre too. Due to its location it's easy for the Police not to allow Supporters buses anywhere near the pubs.

I'm sure I got told they did look at sites such as that when they were relocating, but the fact we got the land for free and the stadium built for by asda was the deciding factor.

I drove along the dunkeld road last night and I struggle to comprehend that the stadium was there for so long.

I'm sure I got told they did look at sites such as that when they were relocating, but the fact we got the land for free and the stadium built for by asda was the deciding factor.

I drove along the dunkeld road last night and I struggle to comprehend that the stadium was there for so long.

Strange to think that when Muirton was built it would have been on the outer edge of Perth!

It's totally understandable. What are the chances of seeing a deal like both Saints got happening again?

I'm just rather curios/selfish though because i've been able to investigate other towns/cities all over Scotland going with the supporters buses but all I've see of Perth is the stadium and car park and a few roundabouts.

Take a left out of the car park, drive about a mile along that road and you come to a roundabout. Take a left and it's a couple of hundred yards up on your right. A big Asda is built right where it used to be.

Aye I know where you are. Not that far away then!

Was central still "certified" to 30000(another utterly mental figuire, approx 9-10x what it can have now and it hasn't reduced in size by much if at all) or were the 5000isn crowds pushing on the capacity ? You could almost understand if they had crowds of 5000, predicating a population rise and on-field improvements, if a 20000 capacity ground had been proposed, that may been seen as sensible with build and they will come attitude but 80000 is a struggle for anyone to understand.

It was before the silly stock car track appeared, although there was a dog track, so I would imagine the terracing would have been closer to the pitch - which was a lot wider then.

I remember being at a game against Rangers in 1984 with an official attendance on 9925, although I heard from a good source that there was a good few thousand more than that! and there was still plenty of gaps on the terrace.

The 70,-80000 stadium would have been a bit far fetched but it was at a time we got 25586 for a League Cup Quarter Final so the directors of the day may have been a bit fanciful.

Strange to think that when Muirton was built it would have been on the outer edge of Perth!

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than myself will correct me if I'm wrong but for all out of town grounds are bemoaned now, pretty much all of the more traditional grounds were built on the edge of towns when they were built. Quite simple stuff really grounds have always built on cheap land, nearly always out of town.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than myself will correct me if I'm wrong but for all out of town grounds are bemoaned now, pretty much all of the more traditional grounds were built on the edge of towns when they were built. Quite simple stuff really grounds have always built on cheap land, nearly always out of town.

Aye quite a few of the old grounds were built on the edge of their town's or cities. For example Ibrox was built on the edge of the city I'm sure I read in some book that many though it was a risk on Rangers moving so far out of the City!

Think Portsmouth's Fratton Park was also on the edge of the City originally and now its in a built up area.

Numerous examples of what we now call "old" grounds were on the outskirts at the time. Open land, cheap land.

Hampden, Ibrox, Easter Road (granted: it was between Edinburgh and Leith) and Tynecastle all examples. Infact I imagine most would be. Clubs normally started on existing public parks, playing fields, waste ground etc. within towns and cities, and then either side of the turn of the 19th century moved out to the suburbs to build 'proper' stadiums.

A century later, many moved again instead of rebuilding, often to 'all-seater' venues.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Mcdiarmid is already heading that way, a whole new section of houses built in Tulloch and a load of them on the western edge. With a sainsburys planned, a b&q already built I fully expect more houses to be built around that general area.

Oddly enough despite going to Tannadice at that time, I had actually forgotten that the "corner" was ever a place that folk stood - nice to see that...

It's where my old man would take me if we got in early enough. Means as a kid I could get a view and he didn't have to stand down at the front wall. The memories of sitting on the front wall, all so different for kids nowadays!

It's where my old man would take me if we got in early enough. Means as a kid I could get a view and he didn't have to stand down at the front wall. The memories of sitting on the front wall, all so different for kids nowadays!

I remember sitting on the wall at the front of the main stand at Dens for the Hibs v Aberdeen Scottish Cup SF when someone behind me hit Neil Cooper with a pie!

Police waded in & my mate burst out crying shouting for his dad.....pussy!

I remember sitting on the wall at the front of the main stand at Dens for the Hibs v Aberdeen Scottish Cup SF when someone behind me hit Neil Cooper with a pie!

Police waded in & my mate burst out crying shouting for his dad.....pussy!

Didn't know you were mates with Neil Cooper?

lol

There was a kind of "natural progression" to becoming a Shedboy.... Family member would take you to first game, either in the Main Stand or the Sandeman Street Enclosure. Then you would move over towards that corner, with the high wall. Then gradually make your way into the Shed, closer and closer to the middle. Then you suffered your first face plant with one of those mental surges! And that was it, you had qualified.

1978%20segregation%20v%20rangers%2014-10

The old segregation barrier at what is now the corner between the Gorgie Stand and Wheatfield Stand. The away supporters used to get the Gorgie terracing. All the wee dafties gathered at the segregation barrier and fire abuse/coins back and forward at each other.

Another one at Tannadice, the Main Stand (now Jerry Kerr Stand) under construction in the early 1960s. Excellent Health and Safety standards at work here.

rh4c2o.jpg

I'm sure there was a game overseas just recently where I noticed that fans were in a half completed stand, Marseille or St Etienne perhaps? Nothing compared to that photo though!