The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

I thought they left Anfield because the landlord hiked the rent?
Yep, the president owned Anfield and he hiked the rent up, the rest of the directors moved the club to Goodison in protest, leaving the president with an empty ground. So he founded Liverpool instead.

On 25/01/2021 at 09:04, Torpar said:

Most of the new "Soccer-specific" stadiums in the MLS are great. Toronto's BMO Field was pretty decent after it was expanded ,until they let the CFL team move in and wrecked the North End of the stadium. 

Yea, but they all pretty much look alike. Whether its Austin, Columbus or Cincinnati.

But theres only so many ways to build a football ground with obstructed seats.

Edited by thekorean

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The new stadium at Murrayfield is laughably bad. Looks like every single vantage point will have a pillar blocking the view.

Hopefully Edinburgh City don't end up here. Ainslie Park is far superior. Nicer pies too.

IMG_20210213_164045.jpeg

Why have you posted a photo from a phone strapped to a drone, when they had a video up of it a few months ago?

20 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Rotten, minds me or the temporary stands we had at the Falkirk stadium.

That's exactly what it is - four Highland Games stands round a pitch. It doesn't have changing rooms, offices or any indoor space other than the wee cabin for commentators - all of that is over in the main stadium and the players will walk across the car park from there. The catering is just vans round the outside, as is normal at Murrayfield, but at least you have cover to stand and eat.

Edinburgh Rugby fans are very defensive about it, but it really is shite. As that picture shows, if you're at one end of a long stand looking at action at the opposite end and on the nearside touchline, you're looking through a forest of poles. The poles are thicker front-to-back than side-to-side too, so it's even worse. I'm a Glasgow-Edinburgh half-and-half scarf douchebag and I watch most of my club rugby at Murrayfield because it's near work, and I'd rather they were continuing to play in front of 60,000 empty seats than this. The only good thing about it is 2,000 covered standing places.

When was the last time a Scottish football club put up a stand with pillars? Celtic in the mid 90s? Certainly none of the new grounds since and including McDiarmid Park have any pillars.

I'm not a fan of Scotstoun either, the main stand is good but the stands behind the goals are temporary stands with pillars and the north stand is about 300 miles from the pitch.

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's exactly what it is - four Highland Games stands round a pitch. It doesn't have changing rooms, offices or any indoor space other than the wee cabin for commentators - all of that is over in the main stadium and the players will walk across the car park from there. The catering is just vans round the outside, as is normal at Murrayfield, but at least you have cover to stand and eat.

Edinburgh Rugby fans are very defensive about it, but it really is shite. As that picture shows, if you're at one end of a long stand looking at action at the opposite end and on the nearside touchline, you're looking through a forest of poles. The poles are thicker front-to-back than side-to-side too, so it's even worse. I'm a Glasgow-Edinburgh half-and-half scarf douchebag and I watch most of my club rugby at Murrayfield because it's near work, and I'd rather they were continuing to play in front of 60,000 empty seats than this. The only good thing about it is 2,000 covered standing places.

When was the last time a Scottish football club put up a stand with pillars? Celtic in the mid 90s? Certainly none of the new grounds since and including McDiarmid Park have any pillars.

I'm not a fan of Scotstoun either, the main stand is good but the stands behind the goals are temporary stands with pillars and the north stand is about 300 miles from the pitch.

I take it the pillars are a reflection of the budget, ie cantilever style cost too much?

Like watching rugby through a fork was the most apt reply I read on twitter @BurgessHillRFC.

The Edinburgh rugby punters are quite easily taken in. One guy claiming the East Stand at Murrayfield (which dates from 80s) was built deliberately low to give the other three 90s stands a nicer view to the Castle.

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I take it the pillars are a reflection of the budget, ie cantilever style cost too much?

As TC says above, you need to anchor cantilevers into the ground and this is literally four pop-up stands. Some people aren't bothered by them but I'd rather not have a roof if it means pillars.

Had a look at when I first moaned about the pillars on Twitter - June 2018. I called it the worst ground in Scotland of its size.

My theory on why they want a smaller ground is so that they can charge higher ticket prices. As soon as Glasgow started filling their ground they hugely hiked the prices, because they could, and they're now more than a third higher than Edinburgh's prices.. There's only so much you can charge when there's 15 seats to every customer.