The New Stadiums Thread

jamamafegan

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Nah I don’t believe it. This guy here looks to have come up with a viable plan for remaining at Goodison Park. Looks amazing and way better than the shitty waterfront plans.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/club/goodison/tom-hughes-redevelopment-ideas.pdf

IMG_3564.jpg

I scrolled down until I got to the costs, and that's when I realised this guy may have nice software but doesn't know much about construction. He also doesn't seem to cover the issue of the impact on neighbouring residents of whacking additional tiers on top of the stands. 

I think the quote from Simon Inglis at the end is total bollocks. The proximity of the two clubs in Liverpool doesn't mean anything at all - Celtic and Rangers are at opposite ends of the city but is anyone going to suggest their rivalry would somehow be greater if they were closer together? Besides, they're not that close, not like in Dundee or Nottingham.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I don't think it was quite as Dickensian as that, but yeah. Everton would need to demolish a lot of houses to expand though.

I think Spurs took over an industrial estate and one or two of those businesses weren't happy about it.

And Villa - they wanted to expand the stand opposite the main stand, but there are allotments behind it and it's easier to move actual mountains than allotments.

Think a fire happened just before Spurs were due to but the industrial estate funnily enough.

18 hours ago, Stu said:

I was absolutely freezing when I was at a CFL game at BMO Field a few weeks back. It was in October, which didn't help, and there was sod all atmosphere was the team was pish and the stadium was about 2/3rds full at best. The highlight was near the end when a squirrel ran onto the pitch and the crowd cheered it as it made for the end zone.

Somehow the Argonauts improved dramatically the following season to win the championship.

For whatever reason, people just don't care about the CFL in Toronto, NFL is much more popular. Ideally the Argos would move to a smaller stadium but since MLSE own all the teams in the city apart from the Blue Jays and Toronto Rock, they are more than happy to just have two of their teams sharing a stadium. Hopefully when York United (Formally known as York 9 FC) manage to build their own stadium it will a proper football stadium, for now they seem to be making one of York University's stadium more "soccer friendly"

17 hours ago, thekorean said:

Yea it looks pretty hideous now.

It truly does, as much as I love the CNE Food building, I don't need to see it while watching the game. It did at least provide the Inebriatti ultras a place to stand for the closed door game against Vancouver 

I thought they left Anfield because the landlord hiked the rent?
Yep, the president owned Anfield and he hiked the rent up, the rest of the directors moved the club to Goodison in protest, leaving the president with an empty ground. So he founded Liverpool instead.

On 25/01/2021 at 09:04, Torpar said:

Most of the new "Soccer-specific" stadiums in the MLS are great. Toronto's BMO Field was pretty decent after it was expanded ,until they let the CFL team move in and wrecked the North End of the stadium. 

Yea, but they all pretty much look alike. Whether its Austin, Columbus or Cincinnati.

But theres only so many ways to build a football ground with obstructed seats.

Edited by thekorean

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

The new stadium at Murrayfield is laughably bad. Looks like every single vantage point will have a pillar blocking the view.

Hopefully Edinburgh City don't end up here. Ainslie Park is far superior. Nicer pies too.

IMG_20210213_164045.jpeg

Why have you posted a photo from a phone strapped to a drone, when they had a video up of it a few months ago?