People who have changed from undecided/no to yes

conboyhibs

Ha! At least it's nice to get a bite however ignorant the content may be.

The context of my post was simple. Some wee fanny said something like, "In new Scotland it will be all different. We will have shaken off the Westminster yoke and it will all be fine.". Forgetting, of course, that Westminster has been Scotland'a sandbox since 1707.

Your phrase, "ethnic & civic nationalism" makes me worriy I despise ethnic nationalism and I despise folk for whom ethnicity is grist to their mill. My big worry here is that Team Aye are making capital of this.

I'm with you there Kincardine. Ethnic nationalism is a vile concept and should be countered at every turn. However, the Yes campaign isn't the one that bangs on and on about being a "PROUD SCOT" with every soundbite. Indeed, it's Better Together who seems to equate pride in a nation with the way you should vote.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you there Kincardine. Ethnic nationalism is a vile concept and should be countered at every turn. However, the Yes campaign isn't the one that bangs on and on about being a "PROUD SCOT"

Hallo! Where in The Black Isle are you? My uncle was the postman in Kessok hunners of years before the bridge was built (well maybe 30 years before the bridge). Whit's a buddy doing in Invernesshire?

I take your point and I agree that the campaign hasn't been anything to do with being,a, "PROUD SCOT" in terms of the debate. It has, though, in the context of the forum. I was told that I had turned my back on Scotland because I live down south. This worries me.

My take is that we Scots have always been at our best when we look outwards.

Its a funny one, why do No campaign politicians feel such a need to shout their 'proud Scot' credentials from the rafters. I'd have far more respect if they just said they had no pride in where they came from or whatever. Galloway is the only guy I've heard not banging on about his Scottish pride and it's pretty evident he has none. It just sounds so forced and unnatural when they do their my father played the bagpipes and I won a Burns recital at school talk.

Hallo! Where in The Black Isle are you? My uncle was the postman in Kessok hunners of years before the bridge was built (well maybe 30 years before the bridge). Whit's a buddy doing in Invernesshire?

I take your point and I agree that the campaign hasn't been anything to do with being,a, "PROUD SCOT" in terms of the debate. It has, though, in the context of the forum. I was told that I had turned my back on Scotland because I live down south. This worries me.

My take is that we Scots have always been at our best when we look outwards.

Indeed my friend. I think we are at our best when we look outwards. And that's why I am an ardent campaigner for Yes. I have relocated to a small village called Fortrose after many years in England and in various overseas locations with the British Army. I am probably the first person that Better Together would be looking to recruit in their campaign. Initially from a staunch Labour, Central belt upbringing, serving queen and country for over half my adult life. However, experience has shown that the British government from Tory to (new) Labour to LibDem/Con all pursue policies that are very alien to my values.

International, non-fucking nuclear, and above all: Respect for our fellow human beings on this planet. That's what I see Scotland as. We have a chance to be better. It may not work. But it might work. I'm gonna give it a go. There's feck all to lose.

And as for people who say you turned your back on Scotland? f**k 'em. Bunch of parochial pr1cks.

All the best in Bucks. Ya posh git. :D

Ha! At least it's nice to get a bite however ignorant the content may be.

The context of my post was simple. Some wee fanny said something like, "In new Scotland it will be all different. We will have shaken off the Westminster yoke and it will all be fine.". Forgetting, of course, that Westminster has been Scotland'a sandbox since 1707.

Your phrase, "ethnic & civic nationalism" makes me worriy I despise ethnic nationalism and I despise folk for whom ethnicity is grist to their mill. My big worry here is that Team Aye are making capital of this.

I hope you didnt take from my post that I was supporting ethnic nationalism, pretty much the whole campaign is based on civic nationalism! That is why guys like you in Tory Bucks arent entitled to vote in this referendum & immigrant Poles etc. are.

There are very few Yes supporting folk who are anti English (except maybe in the context of sport in general & football in particular).

I hope you didnt take from my post that I was supporting ethnic nationalism, pretty much the whole campaign is based on civic nationalism! That is why guys like you in Tory Bucks arent entitled to vote in this referendum & immigrant Poles etc. are.

There are very few Yes supporting folk who are anti English (except maybe in the context of sport in general & football in particular).

For me it isn't even that. It's the 24/7 coverage of How great England are when they win something in the sporting world, which is then turned into Britannia rules the waves. It is rammed down your throat constantly. If I didn't have to put up with the garbage of how great we are all supposed to feel when another country wins a major trophy then I would probably wish England well. I'm all for people taking pride in their country's sporting excellence. But not when I am expected to join in. If we had our own dedicated broadcaster I would probably wish England all the best in the sporting world

I originally was yes for a very brief time due to the rise in the min wage however after all the uncertainty and non plausible aspects to it I changed to a solid no and have remained a no voter ever since.

I originally was yes for a very brief time due to the rise in the min wage however after all the uncertainty and non plausible aspects to it I changed to a solid no and have remained a no voter ever since.

Are you? Why thats very intresting.

I respect you for making the distinction and have no doubt that you are sincere. The irony is that the post after yours said this:

For me it isn't even that. It's the 24/7 coverage of How great England are when they win something in the sporting world, which is then turned into Britannia rules the waves. It is rammed down your throat constantly. If I didn't have to put up with the garbage of how great we are all supposed to feel when another country wins a major trophy then I would probably wish England well. I'm all for people taking pride in their country's sporting excellence. But not when I am expected to join in. If we had our own dedicated broadcaster I would probably wish England all the best in the sporting world

Oh deary me.

What non plausible aspects? Please expand.

And that I really really dislike the SNP (as bad as that may sound)

It sounds really really bad. You do know a Yes vote ISN'T a vote for the SNP, right? Right?

Archived