C'mon England

heedthebaa

Not sure why Sterling was sent off, yellow imo. Valencia's reaction was terrible, had to be a red for that. Watched quite a few friendlies in the lead up to the world cup, there's been horrible challenges, plenty of red cards, tempers boiling over. Not the way to behave when the biggest international tournament is right around the corner.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name="Zetterlund" post="8486895" timestamp="1401914395

Sterling probably didn't deserve a red unless we missed something in the aftermath.

Sterling deserves it for that shit Fresh Prince haircut IMO

Tbf to Valencia I think he's well within his right to be pissed off as a tackle like that could put you out the world cup and its a friendly ffs, no need for that. Obviously could have gone about it in a better way though.

Anytime Wiltshire goes down I'm expecting a tournament-scuppering injury.

I hope he's plays. He's brutal at this level, and a complete bottler.

Even in a Champions League match which is notorious for harsh referee's Sterling would have been given a yellow card. And yet, in a friendly game its a red? Madness. Either something happened in the aftermath or the ref completely bottled it and sent both off.

Anyhoo, I thought a second string England side did very well against a team who finished ahead of Uruguay in the qualifiers. The defenders were awful it has to be said but the midfield display was obviously very encouraging.

All in all an entertaining match. Some positives, some negatives, but thats the usual for an England game.

Was impressed by Chamberlain and Barkley. I still think that our strongest attack would be one that doesn't have Rooney in it, but at least we look like we can do something going forward. the defending was absolutely laughable. Smalling and Jones looked like they'd never met, let alone been teammates for two years. We're going to be in big trouble if Cahill or Jagielka get an injury. I'd imagine that come the tournament our midfield will be Gerrard and Henderson, which I'm pretty happy with. Lampard is just too slow these days, and while Wilshere is capable of being brilliant, he's far more likely to be either completely anonymous, or start a mass brawl.

Still, an England team that can attack but can't defend should be a novelty, and might make our games actually entertaining for once.

I'm excited. :)

ETA: Oh, and I can't understand why Sterling was sent off. Bizarre from the ref.

Not sure about that. Stirling Castle was the home to the oldest fitba discovered. Was good enough for FIFA's museum in the German WC a few years ago. Unless the English have any hard evidence that predates the 1540s? In fact, maybe football is another 'Gaelic game' given the nature of Stirling at the time?!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-18119054

The Chinese played something resembling football 3000 years ago. The first people to write a rule book were the English, therefore football was invented there.

England getting a dose of reality here.

They will be extremely fortunate to get out their group.

Reality being your second string team isn't that good? :lol:

You're looking into the game far too much.

Archived