Malaysia Airlines flight MH370

isn't shooting down a unarmed civilian aircraft considered a war crime?

Depends on the circumstances. Both the US and USSR managed it in the 80s and its not unknown for sides to shoot down their own aircraft (Italians killed their best general this way in WW2). If there was a reasonable assumption of an enemy aircraft they could get away with it (Jimmy Stewart the US actor got away with bombing Switzerland in WW2) but if it was deliberately targeted then there would be hell to pay, I don't think it would be a war crime as so far as I know the laws of war are not in operation, but it would be murder: ether first degree or accidental manslaughter depending on circumstances.

Seen a video of the plane crash, and there is no mid-air explosion, which you'd expect had a missile been fired at it. It looks like it might be a legitimate crash from an on board malfunction, or there was some kind of EMP attack on it.

Is there any evidence this was actually the pro-Russian rebels beyond the Ukrainian Government saying so? They're hardly an impartial source. It's obviously a possibility, but I'd wait for some kind of independent confirmation on this.

According to someone on 5live. On of the groups were claiming to have shot down a plane but deleted the claims when they found out it was a passenger jet.

Seen a video of the plane crash, and there is no mid-air explosion, which you'd expect had a missile been fired at it. It looks like it might be a legitimate crash from an on board malfunction, or there was some kind of EMP attack on it.

post-45593-14056443535431_thumb.jpg

I don't think it's considered a war crime, but maybe an act of terrorism. However, in this instance the plane flew over a war zone. So it can't be considered anything more than an act of stupidity from the pilot.

33,000 feet in the air then getting shot isn't a case of being accidently caught in crossfire.

I've was on a commercial flight that flew over the Ukraine on Saturday night (although nowhere near the Russian border)

If I were an American Serviceman they'd have given me a campaign medal !!

Ive used that route loads im looking for a victoria cross

Imagine the last moments of your life if you were in a plane accident. Scary.

Doesn't bare thinking about.........would you not pass out upon the break up of the fuselage though?

Point taken in the case of the Air France plane that fell out of the sky en route from Brazil though!

People in the Lockerbie plane were still alive - after they hit the ground. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Lockerbie+10+Years+On%3A+The+dead+girl+still+had+tufts+of+grass+in+her...-a060628228

still alive or conscious? am sure it was the same with the Challenger crash.

ETA: Just read your link......I always thought you would pass out through lack of oxygen/fear/shock.........pretty horrific way to go :(

Edited by sjc

Sanctions certainly aren't doing anything.

First it was South Ossetia and Abkhazia in Georgia, then it was The Crimea and now they're arming pro Russian separatists in Donetsk. So far the West has done the square root of zero about any of this.

Putin will keep pushing his luck until he's stopped. The West can either continue to let him encroach west into sovereign countries or they can stop him. Neither option is very appealing, but they'll have to pick one.

I'm far from one to defend Putin, but the conflict with Georgia was started with Georgia invading Russia.

From the BBC...

Cheers. When/if air crash investigators confirm they did it as now looks likely, they're fucked.

You can't really compare this with Lockerbie, large sections of the planes fuselage were still intact at Lockerbie where here there is absolutely nothing left except twisted smouldering metal.

^^^ plays too much Call of Duty