The Alloa Athletic Thread

8 hours ago, bsd said:

Goodwin's league record since and including the Hogmanay game is P18 W10 D5 L3. This is pretty much when he stopped playing and concentrated on managing. I'd say that was on the whole if not very good then at least good. Cut the guy some slack. He's just started managing and had Ross's squad. Livvy were streets ahead of us all season. We were never catching them. If he fucks up next season then fair enough but give him a chance.

I agree- his league record was fine. We were comfortably second. I think there was a stage where we could have pushed Livi further- they had a wee stutter and were dropping points, we didnt take advantage. But credit to them for finishing so strong and were worthy champions. Some decent victories for us along the way to achieving second at an absolute canter.

I did have a wee nagging feeling over the campaign though that our tactics were a bit haphazard. Constantly tinkering with the starting lineup, doing something different seemingly just for the sake of it and at times just having to rely on the quality and spirit of the players to dig it out. There were occasions of course, where the manager definitely got it right in terms of selection and game plan. But we never seemed to really build on what worked well, nor learn from what didn't.

This was never more apparent than in the play-offs. Yes we played well in the home legs both times. But not in the away legs. And there were plenty of indications and blueprints for success in earlier encounters against both teams that we seemingly chose to throw out of the window for an untried (and risky) alternative.

Earlier in the season we played Airdrie at home. They didnt get out of the blocks and Andy Graham scored a double to give us the lead. Then we were out of sorts for the remainder of that half and were fortunate to lead at the break. The manager switched it- introducing Stevie Hetherington- and we were so disciplined and rigid in the middle of the park that we pretty much nullified Airdries midfield and subsequent attacking threat. In the playoff semi at Airdrie we didnt take any notice of this, instead omitting Hetherington, opting for our flair players and hoping to dominate them man for man. Airdrie played well undoubtedly. But we were out of sorts. We didnt even have a bit of composure at the back to slow the game down, as the manager flew in the face of his policy of picking players in form to drop Jason Marr from the team.

Onto Brechin- earlier in the season (Goodwins first game as manager) we pressed the hell out of Brechin in their own half. Kirky, Cawley and Spence smothered them- they were camped in their own half and we didnt allow them to breathe. The pitch was worse that day than it was last week. But that didnt matter because we didnt allow them to play. We were terrific that day. Not pretty. But effective. And as a wee aside, Jason Marr played in that game. And Jason Marr scored in that game.

Also worth noting that the Brechin defence in the play off final first leg was patched up- not their strongest selection. So instead we drop Spence and punt high balls to Dylan Mackin as the lone frontman. Why was Spence dropped? I like to think it wasnt because he missed a sitter in the semi. So it must have been for tactical reasons. Now Dylan Mackin has his merits as a player. But holding up high balls isnt really one of them. It didnt work at all at Airdrie the previous week when he had Spence supporting him. So why did we think it was going to work with him up there on his own? We did better in the game once Spence came on but we couldnt make the breakthrough

Both of these ties overall were there for the taking in my opinion. Both went to shootouts. We've been really strong on the road this season, so we should have been looking to exert control of these ties in the first legs both times.

I like the manager- a decent guy, lots of experience in the game and excellent knowledge of the game. I get the learning curve is a factor but here's the thing- if Im learning on the job, I stick to whats worked for me in the past. I don't think he did that in either playoff game. Im desperate for him to do well, and will back him all the way- but with a fair bit of quality already shipped out, with more to come- its not going to be easy to turn around. Certainly not impossible, but not easy.

I agree- his league record was fine. We were comfortably second. I think there was a stage where we could have pushed Livi further- they had a wee stutter and were dropping points, we didnt take advantage. But credit to them for finishing so strong and were worthy champions. Some decent victories for us along the way to achieving second at an absolute canter.

I did have a wee nagging feeling over the campaign though that our tactics were a bit haphazard. Constantly tinkering with the starting lineup, doing something different seemingly just for the sake of it and at times just having to rely on the quality and spirit of the players to dig it out. There were occasions of course, where the manager definitely got it right in terms of selection and game plan. But we never seemed to really build on what worked well, nor learn from what didn't.

This was never more apparent than in the play-offs. Yes we played well in the home legs both times. But not in the away legs. And there were plenty of indications and blueprints for success in earlier encounters against both teams that we seemingly chose to throw out of the window for an untried (and risky) alternative.

Earlier in the season we played Airdrie at home. They didnt get out of the blocks and Andy Graham scored a double to give us the lead. Then we were out of sorts for the remainder of that half and were fortunate to lead at the break. The manager switched it- introducing Stevie Hetherington- and we were so disciplined and rigid in the middle of the park that we pretty much nullified Airdries midfield and subsequent attacking threat. In the playoff semi at Airdrie we didnt take any notice of this, instead omitting Hetherington, opting for our flair players and hoping to dominate them man for man. Airdrie played well undoubtedly. But we were out of sorts. We didnt even have a bit of composure at the back to slow the game down, as the manager flew in the face of his policy of picking players in form to drop Jason Marr from the team.

Onto Brechin- earlier in the season (Goodwins first game as manager) we pressed the hell out of Brechin in their own half. Kirky, Cawley and Spence smothered them- they were camped in their own half and we didnt allow them to breathe. The pitch was worse that day than it was last week. But that didnt matter because we didnt allow them to play. We were terrific that day. Not pretty. But effective. And as a wee aside, Jason Marr played in that game. And Jason Marr scored in that game.

Also worth noting that the Brechin defence in the play off final first leg was patched up- not their strongest selection. So instead we drop Spence and punt high balls to Dylan Mackin as the lone frontman. Why was Spence dropped? I like to think it wasnt because he missed a sitter in the semi. So it must have been for tactical reasons. Now Dylan Mackin has his merits as a player. But holding up high balls isnt really one of them. It didnt work at all at Airdrie the previous week when he had Spence supporting him. So why did we think it was going to work with him up there on his own? We did better in the game once Spence came on but we couldnt make the breakthrough

Both of these ties overall were there for the taking in my opinion. Both went to shootouts. We've been really strong on the road this season, so we should have been looking to exert control of these ties in the first legs both times.

I like the manager- a decent guy, lots of experience in the game and excellent knowledge of the game. I get the learning curve is a factor but here's the thing- if Im learning on the job, I stick to whats worked for me in the past. I don't think he did that in either playoff game. Im desperate for him to do well, and will back him all the way- but with a fair bit of quality already shipped out, with more to come- its not going to be easy to turn around. Certainly not impossible, but not easy.

Excellent post.

The only thing I would say is the more recent time we played Brechin away we started with just Mackin up front IIRC and we had both Robbo and Stevie H in midfield - so he's gone with that again, which I personally think was reasonable. I think he was also trying to stiffen midfield for the away leg given the performance at Airdrie where we were well beaten.

Personally I think Goodwin has done pretty well so far. FB however makes some valid critical points and it will be interesting to see whether these turn out to be problematical weaknesses or not.

That's a very interesting post, "Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)". The more I think about it, Alloa Athletic might just have had one of the most disappointing seasons in the country - they strolled through the league campaign, and were comfortably better than almost every other team in the division, but when it came to the showdown they were really poor. I was shocked to see them torn apart by a mediocre Airdrieonians side in the first leg of the semi-final, and that they needed penalties to eventually overcome them, and I was also surprised they failed to put Brechin City to bed in the final. It feels like a mathematics problem where all the working is right but the final answer is incorrect.

Alloa went into the play offs with their foot off the gas as we didn't have a competitive game for over a month whilst both Airdrie and Brechin went into the play offs fighting. I know we got results in the last month of the season but it was like testimonial football at times. I think a lot of people took it for granted that we would just need to turn up and we would stroll the play offs which was never going to happen.

As much as I'm annoyed at missing out on promotion on penalties I'm not that bothered that I'll be missing out on sitting in some of the soulless barns in the Championship next season and watching us more than likely getting pumped on the odd occasion.

I think people are giving Goodwin a hard time for no real reason. I know he has moved on two club legends but we just need to bide our time and see how he recruits over the summer. Although I expect if he is successful whilst retaining most of this squad then it'll be the sour grapes brigade like the Christie era who people still say Christie was only successful due to inheriting Hendrie's squad.

Goodwin will now get a chance to build his own team and do it just the way he wants. I would reiterate, though, that the prize money we got for 10th in the Championship was a huge advantage over everyone but Livi. It wasn't a case of battling against the odds to get 2nd, that was exactly where we should have been. Ross and Goodwin were clear, that squad was built to win the league or the play-offs. That makes the poor performances in those crunch games all the more disappointing. I can't see how we can have the same budget for the season ahead.

Having nothing to play for in the closing weeks is no excuse either, Hartley's team was in the same situation yet they went to Brechin for a play-off semi-final and absolutely destroyed them, playing their normal passing game too it should be noted.

Hopefully we'll get some good signing news in the next week or two. Important to avoid seeing key men depart with no positive news to balance it, in case it starts affecting those who might have been minded to stay otherwise.

No idea about Cook to be honest, except falkirkwasp saying he wanted him signed up.

Delighted with Neilly & Andy signed up though. Stevie & Frank will do a job again next season. Good to get some names tied up & hopefully more follow suit in the coming weeks.

Great news about Andy and Parry. Good that Stevie Hetherington is sticking around too.

I read that as 'Alan Cork' for a second and had an Eighties flashback. Can't say I remember any of Stenny's players being a particular standout this year, so fingers crossed.

Cook is a very talented player. Has a bit of a chequered/inconsistent career IIRC, but has the potential to he an important player for us.

Him plus Parry, Graham, Hetherington and McKweon are a good start to the squad.