The Alloa Athletic Thread

I remember an entertaining 3-2 win over Ayr Utd at the Recs, with the eccentric front pairing of Payo and a somewhat overweight Brian Carrigan causing all kinds of confusion in the Ayr defence.

A brief highlight in the otherwise disappointing Maitland era.

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

Some good memories there! The night of the 4-3 at Stranraer was peak Duffle Forum with folk losing the plot at 0-3 then absolute delight as it turned around. Must have been sensational for the few who made it down to Stair Park. Remember the Forthbank nightmare well too. At 0-3 after 15 minutes and down to 10 men it looked horrible. Binos missed a golden chance for revenge for the magnificent seven that day. 

Does seem strange to be re-signing and signing players when we have no manager but I'm happy to put my faith once more in Mike Mulraney. Perhaps Guido Van de Kamp is overseeing the signings from Holland before he can be officially unveiled as the new supremo. 

The Stranraer game was absolutely glorious. Think the away support was 16 that night. As soon as we got the 2nd there was a feeling we would win. The joy of telling the Stranraer goalie we're gonna score here seconds before the winner will live on in the memory forever. So will then telling him after it, told you mate. 😃

I loved that Stranraer game, the turn around in momentum as the game progressed was just superb. Also a thoroughly enjoyable evening of getting it right up Micheal Moore.

28 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

That is an absolutely bizarre one. I didn't see it coming at all.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Hi,

Can we have Andy Graham back now please?

Thanks

But I basically came on to say this^^^

22 minutes ago, Dink said:
46 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I certainly hope not. His spell at Clyde was very poor, and I don't give him much credit for what he's done at Kelty given the players he was able to recruit.

In BF’s defence, bad injuries to key players in his last two seasons really took the wind out our sails. Ultimately he got us our highest league position in years and to a play off final in 2016.  

That’s not to say there weren’t some pretty inexcusable results and he lost the plot a bit towards the end but I think there’s a decent enough manager in there somewhere. 

58 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

"A 3 year plan" to throw money at players from at least two divisions above the level you need to win.

Only Rangers have over spent to that degree to get out of a division!

Queens Park as well of course...

Then there's Cove Rangers...and Livingston...Gretna, even Brora.

Forget I spoke.

1 hour ago, Ignoramus said:

No man management skills, no interaction with fans, new team every window. Will do little with the cretin that is his sidekick. If you suffer 3 defeats on the trot then that’s it, just looses it. Players were terrified of him

Sorry but that was our experience of him. 

A crazy appointment none of us expected. Think this can go two ways, both are extremes of the other.

Can see the appeal from the club. Big name, lots of media attention. Ability to draw a good calibre of player with an decent budget and a better rep than he did at Clyde. Guys like Nathan Austin seem to love him. Would be delighted with signings like that. 

The risks are obviously huge. If we get the Barry Ferguson at Clyde, then tactically we’ll be all over the shop. I’d hope, and expect, he’s learnt a lot from that and time at Kelty. I also hope he keeps on Paddy to help him too. Can’t underestimate his influence. Although looks like Bob Malcolm is joining too, so be interesting to see what happens to Paddy. 

An exciting new era for the club so I’m not surprised it’s an absolute wild name that will grab the headlines to start it! 

Edited by KierenAAFC