The Alloa Athletic Thread

Surely to f**k Alloa — a club who usually make sound decisions — have more sense than to appoint Barry Ferguson. He’s an abrasive scrote with the man management skills of Donald Trump. 

If he hadn’t played for Rangers and you judged him purely on his managerial record, there’s no way he’d be getting considered. 

Ferguson was on Go Radio last night and when asked for comment about STV reporting he was going to Alloa he was pretty insistent that he had not spoken to any clubs and anyone saying he had was lying, so it may just be a load of crap.

The rumour does not inspire me at all. If the comments of Clyde fans and general rumour and assumption about him are correct it looks like the team spirit will evaporate, his mates will all be signed and any young player that we have will be as well moving on now! Surely to f##@ the chairmans not that daft!

46 minutes ago, McCulloch No.5 said:

If the comments of Clyde fans ........about him are correct 

That would be a first. 😉

I can understand the antipathy towards Barry Ferguson (both re his history and apparent management abilities), but if we are genuinely after him then I'm happy to back Mulraney's judgement.

The Rangers thing doesn't bother me, even although I detest that club and what it stands for. Any Alloa manager or player starts with a clean sheet for me.

His high profile nature is a big positive IMO, both in terms of attracting players and general coverage of our club. I appreciate that may all back fire. ☺

Loads of fans from other clubs in the past have said loads of times " he's shite and won't do anything for you" about quite a few players we have signed over the years and the majority have turned out to be very good for us. The most recent example was ayr fans about Innes Cameron in January and he was unreal for us.  Ferguson might not be everyone or anyone's first choice but If that is who Mike thinks is the best option to take us forward then I'm 100% behind him and willing to give him a chance to prove himself. He might have learnt alot from his spells at clyde and Kelty and be a better manager as a result and prove the majority of the opinions on this forum about him wrong. 

Edited by liammcintosh01

That would be a first. [emoji6]
I can understand the antipathy towards Barry Ferguson (both re his history and apparent management abilities), but if we are genuinely after him then I'm happy to back Mulraney's judgement.
The Rangers thing doesn't bother me, even although I detest that club and what it stands for. Any Alloa manager or player starts with a clean sheet for me.
His high profile nature is a big positive IMO, both in terms of attracting players and general coverage of our club. I appreciate that may all back fire. [emoji5]
There is no denying that Ferguson tried his best at Clyde. He did attract a number of decent players to the club and certainly put in the hours.

If things are going well then you'll be alright but when things start to go wrong is when he will struggle. Falling out with players and having no idea how to change games. His plan B was always to stick the tallest defender up front and lump high balls up the field in the hope of getting something.

He was unlucky with injuries in his final season at Clyde. Dylan Easton was brought in as our main player and he got crocked 5 games into the season. Things really did snowball after that and we went from 2nd in the table at Xmas to bottom in April and just avoided the relegation play off.

He might have learned some lessons from his time at Clyde. He could really do with an experienced assistant but seems to take Bob Malcolm with him instead, who offers nothing.

12 hours ago, whereismillar said:

Killie job up for grabs now too most likely 

so  that is 

dundee Utd

Ross County

Dunfermline 

Inverness

Alloa

Dumbarton

Falkirk

Queens park

Kelty

All managerless ? 

Queen's Park appointed Laurie Ellis. 

11 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Imo Barry would be a good call but am told Falkirk are in talks with him 

First we need confirmation, then we can see what's what.

If it's true, we'll have a manager in place to hopefully get some signings in early doors.

He might have been want to keep the fanbase updated.😱

People get better and improve so harsh to judge him off Clyde too much he’s still a young guy. Maybe he’ll do well. He’lol certainly have the respect of the players straight away. Fans can be too quick to judge and too quick to write people off I think. If you manage to pick up a few of the better players at Kelty you will already have a decent squad for League 1.

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

People get better and improve so harsh to judge him off Clyde too much he’s still a young guy. Maybe he’ll do well. He’lol certainly have the respect of the players straight away. Fans can be too quick to judge and too quick to write people off I think. If you manage to pick up a few of the better players at Kelty you will already have a decent squad for League 1.

He’s also a complete arsehole that will berate players he doesn’t like and burn through 80 players in 3 seasons as after every defeat he bins half a team. The only reason he was successful at Kelty is the money they were throwing around. If alloa give him a blank cheque book to sign players too good for league one then he may appear to do well. But against Brechin it was obvious kelty are a collection of talented individuals rather than a good team. 

3 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

He’s also a complete arsehole that will berate players he doesn’t like and burn through 80 players in 3 seasons as after every defeat he bins half a team. The only reason he was successful at Kelty is the money they were throwing around. If alloa give him a blank cheque book to sign players too good for league one then he may appear to do well. But against Brechin it was obvious kelty are a collection of talented individuals rather than a good team. 

Depending on experiences and preferences people’s opinions on certain events can be wildly skewed. Obviously have to take Clyde into account it’s on his CV but that was a long time ago now and he’s a young manager. Players at Kelty seem to love him and any time I’ve heard him talk I’ve really liked him.

Kelty players probably like him because they are winning. The issue is when defeats come, that’s when the overreaction comes and the players feel it! If any are sensitive in any way that will be it.. never play again. 

6 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Kelty players probably like him because they are winning. The issue is when defeats come, that’s when the overreaction comes and the players feel it! If any are sensitive in any way that will be it.. never play again. 

But that’s just life though isn’t it. All rosey and everyone’s amazing when things are going good and then when things are going bad they’re awful and the worst guys ever. Gerrard at Rangers.... look at now and think back to the opinion of him after they got beat 1-0 by Hamilton at Ibrox. Complete opposite. Only time will tell but he deserves a chance first, if he fucks this up badly he will know he will struggle for a bigger gig so he will certainly be up for the challenge.

7 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Kelty players probably like him because they are winning. The issue is when defeats come, that’s when the overreaction comes an. The issue is when defeats come, that’s when the overreaction comes and the players feel it! If any are sensitive in any way that will be d the players feel it! If any are sensitive in any way that will be it.. never play again. 

Something that Paul Hartley showed when we were up against it in the Championship a fee seasons ago