The Alloa Athletic Thread

A great delivery very valuable and big Sammon in particular will be gutted to see Church go. Definitely has come on leaps and bounds since the Bold Barry was screaming at him from the touchline. Andy Robertson would even have struggled in those circumstances. Wasn't at the level of Callum Waters and Daryl Meggatt obviously but still has enough attributes to at least give full time a right go again. Agree with Waspie good to see someone take a step back to ultimately take a step forward and that will also assist in future recruitment's.

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Happening with Hetherington then? I reckon he will go to you like he’s obviously got a huge affinity with guys there but would be happy to see him return to Gayf. Good versatile solid player

I was under the impression when he joined Arbroath on loan there was a contract waiting for him at the end of it, or at least that was what McGlynn alluded to. Maybe the goalposts have moved since then. One thing is for sure he won't be back at us he was on the initial release list. 

Church did improve from his first season and had a good cross on him. In addition to Waters and Meggat, for me Ross, Seaton, Crane, Dick, Lee, Haddow, McHattie, Docherty all much better left backs. Along with Durnan, no big loss IMO.

11 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Church did improve from his first season and had a good cross on him. In addition to Waters and Meggat, for me Ross, Seaton, Crane, Dick, Lee, Haddow, McHattie, Docherty all much better left backs. Along with Durnan, no big loss IMO.

We get it m8, you don't rate him. 😅

Surprised you've not got Billy Wilkinson and Jim Wallace in there. 😉

3 hours ago, printer said:

We get it m8, you don't rate him. 😅

Surprised you've not got Billy Wilkinson and Jim Wallace in there. 😉

Bit before my time or I probably would have.

I don't hate Daniel Church, felt sorry for him when playing under Ferguson and thought he was better last season. Enjoyed his goal against Kelty away and he did have a decent delivery.

Just trying to add a bit of balance to a discussion on a player IMO, is bang average. 

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I was waiting for Marc McCafferty and Derek Fleming to be referenced before I became sceptical 🙂

That would have been pushing it, like trying to claim that Kyle McAusland was the best right back we ever had..

18 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

That was a bad signing 😆. Seem to recall he ventured up the pitch and scored an absolute stunner at Cappielow (we lost heavily still) but not much else. 

He was absolutely terrible, quite well thought of when coming through as a youngster at Rangers.

One of my brothers friends who is a St Johnstone fan used to come along to our games just for the McAusland comedy factor.

34 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Bit before my time or I probably would have.

I don't hate Daniel Church, felt sorry for him when playing under Ferguson and thought he was better last season. Enjoyed his goal against Kelty away and he did have a decent delivery.

Just trying to add a bit of balance to a discussion on a player IMO, is bang average. 

I'm sure you would! 😉

You missed yourself not seeing Jim "Mex" Wallace playing. What a left foot!

15 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've signed MacIver on a two year deal, not a surprise given the way McGlynn likes to play. Really hope he can improve on his finishing and get more goals.

https://twitter.com/falkirkfc/status/1661719822302846976?s=46&t=QQ5MiZ-j5wpkHq0oncrRaA

Really surprised at that. Playing with a striker that can't score can be a man down at times. If you were to give me the choice of Kevin O'Hara or MacIver I'd have O'Hara in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Really surprised at that. Playing with a striker that can't score can be a man down at times. If you were to give me the choice of Kevin O'Hara or MacIver I'd have O'Hara in a heartbeat.

He fits McGlynn's style of play like a glove, so I'm not surprised at all.

A big target man who can bring others into play. I don't mind him coming in as a different option but the lack of goals is a concern as he definitely missed a few sitters against us last year. 

Ross works hard and does a job. That job is often thankless, like you've said winning headers, flick-on's and holding it up. Thought he epitomised the character of the team when he played both centre mid and centre back in the play-offs, a guy who never complains and gives you 100%. Highlight of his Alloa career would be the couple of worldie goals and the 4 assists in one game.

Unfortunately didn't see that enough at Alloa. The goalscoring never really seen much improvement with only 2 goals this side of the year. For Sammo to hit 18 goas and Donnelly 10 goals, he is a bit behind. For Falkirk, I would be worried if Agyeman, MacIver, and Allan are a strike force to try win the league. All the best to him though, fair play for getting back into full-time football. Will open up a wage for a striker of a different ilk, something mentioned a lot in this thread.

3 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Prefer him to Sammon and Donnelly?

To give a overview of our strikers:

Donnelly has a goal threat and wonderful intelligence but I always describe him like Dimitar Berbatov - you won't have him working flat out all game. 

Hitting the ball to Sammon at times is like kicking a ball at a corrugated sheet - it could go anywhere - but to be fair to him he's the only player all season who has put the ball in the back of the net consistently for us.

MacIver is a tireless worker and a tidy player and chipped in with a few vital goals - mostly against QoS - but he's lacking that cutting edge danger I personally want out of a striker. Got goal of the season for his effort against Airdrie (I think I heard correctly).

Brad Rodden was a fairy tale story stepping up from so far down the pyramid and looking like a very tidy finisher but very raw. Unfortunately he hit a bit of a wall half way through but there was always a chance or two for him to score a game before Mackie ended his season early. His goal per minutes was the highest of our strikers.

I had the highest hopes of young Offord. Absolutely lightning but could be outmuscled and with all youths I don't think he always knew when to play to his strengths which let experienced defenders manage him through games but I think due to the naivety and competition he didn't get an awful lot of minutes and didn't show his full potential.