The Alloa Athletic Thread

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure how accurate/fair this is?

Traffic light system - Red = Poor for level, orange = average/below average for level, yellow = average/above average for level, green = Great for level

roberts.png.2cfb41432d105801f8e3b4bd3a8661b5.png

Hard working defensively but no use in the. Struggles to get chances or finish them. Brilliant at running with the ball. Better as a CM who pushes forward than one sitting deep picking passes.

Sounds about right to me! Thanks for sharing. Interesting to see it presented like that - something we don’t see all that often at this level.

25 minutes ago, Dink said:

If Roberts is mobile and reasonably good/disciplined defensively then he would fill a gap in our midfield. We have a lot of midfielders who are good on the ball but sometimes we struggle to give them the platform to play.

Indeed. We now just need to sign a good aeriel disruptor and we're sorted.

6 minutes ago, printer said:

Indeed. We now just need to sign a good aeriel disruptor and we're sorted.

Dean McMaster seems the best fit, but I don't know if theres much chance he returns to this level next season really 😅

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dean McMaster seems the best fit, but I don't know if theres much chance he returns to this level next season really 😅

Out of interest how did MacIver compare to the rest of the league last season?

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Out of interest how did MacIver compare to the rest of the league last season?

maciver.png.6526bc5d10c5cf5839eec98928fc11da.png

Decent as a target man, but would need to play beside someone who can score, and who he can link with, otherwise he'll look like a big huddy.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

maciver.png.6526bc5d10c5cf5839eec98928fc11da.png

Decent as a target man, but would need to play beside someone who can score, and who he can link with, otherwise he'll look like a big huddy.

Exactly how it looked last season, he was always a nuisance but never had that killer edge in him. Handy big bugger to have right enough but if I was Alloa I wouldn't be having him & Sammon in the same starting line up doing the same job.

Edited by FFC 1876

6 hours ago, Dink said:

Cammy O'Donnell also signs on. A slight surprise, I rate him but Rice seemed to have lost faith with him after the Edinburgh City collapse.

I heard he was on a 2 year deal signed last season. He offered very little last term and was a disappointment in my opinion. He needs to really step up this season . 

2 hours ago, Dink said:

If Roberts is mobile and reasonably good/disciplined defensively then he would fill a gap in our midfield. We have a lot of midfielders who are good on the ball but sometimes we struggle to give them the platform to play.

I thought we were often lightweight in the middle of the pitch last term especially when Robbo was out . We missed a bit of toughness in there . 

16 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Bob McHugh leaving East Kilbride. Let's finally get the Alloa hero in Alloa colours next season 🙂

Failing that, wonder if that makes him free and eligible for Alloa Legends team at the testimonial? 😅

Edited by KierenAAFC

35 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

hearing that Durnan is leaving , Not on holiday but permenently

Will we miss him  ?

The Fire Service work patterns mean he'll miss a lot of games; training & tactics sessions so I'd be inclined to say "No, we'll not miss him".....it'll free up a wage for someone who's available all the time.

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Will we miss him  ?

Certainly not

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Happening with Hetherington then? I reckon he will go to you like he’s obviously got a huge affinity with guys there but would be happy to see him return to Gayf. Good versatile solid player

Still under contract to Falkirk for another couple of weeks. Wherever he goes, can't do much in an official capacity til then.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Happening with Hetherington then? I reckon he will go to you like he’s obviously got a huge affinity with guys there but would be happy to see him return to Gayf. Good versatile solid player

Hetherington is an alloa player nxt season, all sorted 

3 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Will we miss him  ?

He was really good last season but wasn't as impressive this season but missed a lot of time with injury and his fire training.

If he and Stanger move on, it'll be more likely we'll have Taggs at CB next season unless we can get a couple of decent replacements in.

Churchy QoS bound. Had a great season with us so can’t complain having another crack at full-time. Shame the second half of the season has been curtailed with injuries as if he’d continued first half, could see him in the Championship. 

Really improved over the last year or so with some great numbers too. For me, I’m the bracket with the great LB’s we have had over the years, at least in that discussion. Let’s see who we bring in now.

Edited by KierenAAFC

6 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Churchy QoS bound. Had a great season with us so can’t complain having another crack at full-time. Shame the second half of the season has been curtailed with injuries as if he’d continued first half, could see him in the Championship. 

Really improved over the last year or so with some great numbers too. For me, I’m the bracket with the great LB’s we have had over the years, at least in that discussion. Let’s see who we bring in now.

Best of luck to him.

No surprise he's been given another opportunity at full-time. Hope he does well at QotS. 

Durnan based on his first season would be a loss. Obviously didn't regain that form when he returned from his absence this season. Was an interesting ommission on a few occasions when he was benched and also being subbed at ht. The fact he wasn't then around for the play-offs - when we ended up so short defensively - was a real blow. Perhaps for the best that he moves on. 

As for Church, I did feel he was perhaps slightly overrated at times this season. You could see under Ferguson he had a lot of attributes but for whatever reason struggled to put it all together. He also had that wobble early this season when he was dropped for a while (harshly) but he bounced back and did extremely well with his deliveries into the box in particular. Still questions defensively, particularly in stopping crosses. Was a bit unfortunate for me that he was shifted to LCB after his first really positive run of games at Alloa at LB. I would have liked to see him really kick on there in his best position. In fairness he did fine at LCB.

Still a work in progress but he showed this season that he is capable of improving and full-time training should be of benefit. Confidence would seem to be key (a manager who believes in him) and some of those deliveries were fantastic. Good luck to him, great to see a player whose career seemed to be on a downward trajectory turning it around. 

Edited by Waspie