The Alloa Athletic Thread

As the final part of my hopeful absolution, would like to apologise to anyone that took offence to my shouting on Saturday, let my anger and passion spiral out of control.

After contacting Brian Rice yesterday, what a really nice man, took some of my criticism on the chin but at the same time provided sound reasons for the majority of them, whether that was injuries or proposed loans not coming to fruition.

Talked very highly of the club, and especially the players he has worked with over the last 15 months. He was very passionate and sounds as disappointed as I was about Saturday, saying it was the most disappointing result of his career. Certainly convinced me that the club means a lot to him and he is working extremely hard to get success.

He has gone up massively up in my estimations and made me feel 100% like s**t at the same time, but serves me right and I am big enough to take it, a major lesson learned.

10 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Heard from a couple of people that there was a bit of trouble after the game on Saturday, which is a bit disappointing to hear, hope nobody was badly hurt.

Hamilton vs Alloa doesn't scream needle fixture either. Surprising stuff.

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

As the final part of my hopeful absolution, would like to apologise to anyone that took offence to my shouting on Saturday, let my anger and passion spiral out of control.

After contacting Brian Rice yesterday, what a really nice man, took some of my criticism on the chin but at the same time provided sound reasons for the majority of them, whether that was injuries or proposed loans not coming to fruition.

Talked very highly of the club, and especially the players he has worked with over the last 15 months. He was very passionate and sounds as disappointed as I was about Saturday, saying it was the most disappointing result of his career. Certainly convinced me that the club means a lot to him and he is working extremely hard to get success.

He has gone up massively up in my estimations and made me feel 100% like s**t at the same time, but serves me right and I am big enough to take it, a major lesson learned.

Fair play for writing that. 

It’s also great to hear how he talks about the club. 

I was well on the bus by the time it happened, but appears there was a small skirmish outside post match and one guy had a black eye. Generally fans mixed fine after the game. It was quite humane of Accies to kill us off before the break rather than give us hope we might hang on in pretty impossible circumstances. By full time I think most Alloa fans had accepted our fate.

No need to apologise mate in my opinion. I don't think you shouted anything personal from what I heard anyway and it was an emotional time 🙂. Heard a thousand times worse a thousand times at matches over the years.

Segregation was a farce on Saturday - if they are going to offer PATG then they should have ensured there was enough space, especially when there’s a whole stand sitting empty behind the goals. Not buying for a second that cost would have been an acceptable reason for not having us in there instead. 

Putting the alloa fans at the other side of the stand where they have to go past the Accies end to get out kinda 

stoopid when you think about it

there was quite a few watching the proceedings at the holy communion going on in the function suite

which i thought was so funny .

Saturday's game felt surreal at times. Even when 3 up on aggregate I felt we were hanging by a thread.

Looking back, I think that even if we'd somehow held out until the break we'd have eventually been worn down anyway.

I could completely understand fans losing it though when a lead was lost in such a fashion (I was in a daze during half time), but I'm glad I resisted the urge to leave and see it through to the end.

Edited by Sixtyten

3 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

Completely agree, was a surprise to me as well, you wee souls had better watch out on Saturday. 

Haha I will be there with my attack whistle in case Hamilton ragamuffins try to set about me.

In all honesty I doubt they would have to look far amongst the Airdrie support to find some willing dance partners. Pathetic as all of that is.

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

No need to apologise mate in my opinion. I don't think you shouted anything personal from what I heard anyway and it was an emotional time 🙂. Heard a thousand times worse a thousand times at matches over the years.

Appreciate that Brian, no there was no personal abuse at all, just a couple of angry rants. We have both heard much worse over the years but still not particularly proud of it. Anyway got me speaking to the great man, I am a convert. Cheers again and see you at the Recs to witness the all conquering 2023/2024 wasps.

1 hour ago, Sixtyten said:

Saturday's game felt surreal at times. Even when 3 up on aggregate I felt we were hanging by a thread.

Looking back, I think that even if we'd somehow held out until the break we'd have eventually been worn down anyway.

I could completely understand fans losing it though when a lead was lost in such a fashion (I was in a daze during half time), but I'm glad I resisted the urge to leave and see it through to the end.

Yeah it was particularly telling that I was more interested in the colour of card for the Hamilton goalkeeper than scoring the penalty. Taggarts injury and Stangers red card left us with a disaster at the back, of which we had no real alternative. Stanger maybe a bit naive to get the 2 bookings but he was having a really good game. Add a man short to our predicament, and we were always on borrowed time. Our best chance was regrouping at half time and concocting something resembling a defensive shield of our goal for the 2nd half. The atmosphere was getting pretty poisonous at 2 0 and the crowd reaction might have affected the home team. But it was still a major long shot. Once Accies got one you knew the inevitable was coming, although maybe not quite as fast as it transpired.

It was good to see majority stayed back to applaud the team. Not in a happy clapping way, but more of an appreciation for the effort. No one can say they didn't put in a shift, both in the afternoon and over the course of the season.

47 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Haha I will be there with my attack whistle in case Hamilton ragamuffins try to set about me.

In all honesty I doubt they would have to look far amongst the Airdrie support to find some willing dance partners. Pathetic as all of that is.

We ended up before the match coming around the corner behind the Hamilton ragamuffins on the way to the ground  When one of them has his top off you know they are a proper naughty bunch.

22 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

We ended up before the match coming around the corner behind the Hamilton ragamuffins on the way to the ground  When one of them has his top off you know they are a proper naughty bunch.

Danny Dyer docu-series incoming "The Urchins of ML3"

In better news as we try move on from Saturday. We will ramping up the stuff for Kevin Cawley's testimonial on the 24th June. More player announcements, podcast interviews, and a few more things in the pipeline to launch.

For tonight, it will be nice to see Buchs back. As well as an Instagram influencer, he is still banging them in for Berwick too!

25 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

My favourite Alloa goal of all time, we played brilliantly that day and then Lee McCulloch scored a late goal and looked like we were going to lose until Buchs goal sparked bedlam among the away fans, ended up just about in among the Rangers support.

Edited by Magic Hat

The question is which Buchanan goal at Ibrox is best...seeing as he scored twice there in the same season. 🙂

The 1-1 game rounded off one of the most memorable football weekends. Scotland had beaten Rep of Ireland on the Friday at Celtic Park, and it had a proper big game feel to it, the stadium atmosphere was brilliant. Had low expectations for Alloas trip to Ibrox the following day but Buchanans equaliser was some moment.

As much as that trip was great, the midweek 2-2 was even better- Ben Gordon header taking the lead on the night and a really well worked equaliser with brilliant play by McCord and Docherty in the build up. In terms of losing my mind when a goal goes in, the Buchs goal that night is definitely in my top 5.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)