The Alloa Athletic Thread

Where is the news of hetherington Signing ?

good swap for Adam king as i think he will go 

Church and stanger too not so much of a surprise if they do 

Great news on Sammon Scougall Cawley Donnelly , 

Strange look to the L1 next season  4 new teams (bar cove not so long ago)

but if we can find a good keeper and a new defence  ( Gulp ) we aught to do ok .

12 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Where is the news of hetherington Signing ?

Just a rumour doing the rounds from several sources at the moment which suggests it has traction. May well be that it's either agreed in principle or club are holding off on announcing if its happened (could be until his contract at Falkirk runs down but I'm totally speculating). 

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Just a rumour doing the rounds from several sources at the moment which suggests it has traction. May well be that it's either agreed in principle or club are holding off on announcing if its happened (could be until his contract at Falkirk runs down but I'm totally speculating). 

Whether it's true or not, he'll not be able to sign until 9th June (well he could sign a fortnight before, but he can't be registered until then). He'll definitely still be under contract to his previous club.

Happy we've kept Rodden, he offers us something different up top. Would like to see him have some gametime with MacIver (if he stays on), think they'd work well off each other

58 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Must admit wouldn't have given Rodden a new contract, think we need enhanced striking options from last season, not the same four. 

maybe a loan striker is an option for us

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

maybe a loan striker is an option for us

Maybe. I think that depends on who we can get signed.

It's a balancing act/judgement call from the manager - clearly better to get a player signed up asap, but if we can't get the required quality that way, then wait and see what's available via the loan market.

Re Rodden, he's going to be a squad player, but if his goals return rate is anything like last season (before his injury) then it's good to have him in the squad IMO. 

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, printer said:

Re Rodden, he's going to be a squad player, but if his goals return rate is anything like last season (before his injury) then it's good to have him in the squad IMO. 

Good news that he's been retained.  He's intelligent, quick and gives everything when he gets his chance. Could BR be rethinking his attacking options; maybe that why he's kept him.  His season was ended by a horrific tackle from Sean Mackie of Falkirk (how do you qualify for a yellow card by breaking somebody's bones??);  maybe the boy's due a bit of good fortune.

Edited by Willie Gut
misspelling

Great news on Taggart signing again. A superb Alloa player. 

I actually think Rodden was good for us last season especially coming off the Bench and seemed to have more of an influence than when he started games.  I wouldn't bother with MacIver next season though. He offered very lately. We need better if we are going to try to go to the next level.

Just my opinion 

I thought Rodden did well when he came off the bench at the start of the season, especially in the Kelty game with his double to win us it.

He will have my full support, but still think we need better options up front than last season.

If MacIver resigns then we will be looking at the same front four.

I would rather gamble and go for someone different, whether that is an experienced forward like Kevin O'Hara, a young player released from an SPL club, something Paul Hartley did very effectively, or a loan striker.

Edited by Magic Hat

Several strands to this one, but I can see where folk are coming from. I certainly agree we need something extra up top to what we had last season.

Rodden had become a slightly forgotten man due to being out for a huge chunk of the season through injury. On that basis, I also thought he may have been first to go to make room for others. However, he probably exceeded expectations for me and didn't do a lot wrong before being injured. Probably deserves another crack at it on a personal level. But you would like to think the manager will explore the market for another option up top and I'm sure he will.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Still think there’s space for another striker as I see LD as more of an attacking midfielder than a forward - an O’Hara type would be interesting. 

I’m glad Rodden got another year, would have been easy to use the injury as an excuse not to bother. Showed flashes of being able to impact a game from the bench and is certainly different to the other two. 

Taggs staying is massive, was worried he might move on this summer. 

Have to say I like the way the announcements are getting drip fed out - builds a lot more excitement than just a one off squad update!

Very good news so far. Scougall, Donnelly and Cawley is a great trio of playmakers for League 1 and the challenge is to find a way to get them all in the team in a way that best uses their talent. Sammo earned his deal with his goals and Taggart is just class. As he gets older you could see him maybe moving more to CB on a permanent basis but not yet and I'd certainly hope to see a lot more of him at RB next season. 

I'm a fan of MacIver and would like to see him back. All he lacks is goals but his positional and link up play - and aerial ability - are excellent. Also has a cracking shot from distance on him which he could maybe unleash a bit more often! He'd probably have got a few more goals had he been the main striker too. Worth persisting with IMO. 

On balance I'd probably have moved Rodden on. Brought loads of running and enthusiasm off the bench but not convinced he will be more than an impact sub, and being an impact sub all the time is hard to maintain. But he did start the season well and can argue that injury didn't allow him to really build on that. Hopefully he can come in fit and ready to start the season like he did last year. We will certainly need another goalscorer from somewhere though. 

Edited by Waspie

2 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Still think there’s space for another striker as I see LD as more of an attacking midfielder than a forward - an O’Hara type would be interesting. 

I’m glad Rodden got another year, would have been easy to use the injury as an excuse not to bother. Showed flashes of being able to impact a game from the bench and is certainly different to the other two. 

Taggs staying is massive, was worried he might move on this summer. 

Have to say I like the way the announcements are getting drip fed out - builds a lot more excitement than just a one off squad update!

I believe Taggs is very happy at the club (as most seem to be,  heard the same about Scougs). 

The players are treated well and several are good friends; helps massively, of course, when you have the likes of Andy, Taggs, Kev, Robbo etc there for several years.

Don't think any of these guys will move on unless they are forced to.