The Alloa Athletic Thread

Happy for MacIver moving back to full time football. Like people have said always gave 100% and never looked to moan when he got subbed off.

Think he'd be most effective paired up front with a someone to run on to his flick ones, like he done well in the last game of the 21/22 season with Hendo.

21 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Donnelly has a goal threat and wonderful intelligence but I always describe him like Dimitar Berbatov - you won't have him working flat out all game.

Yes, that's certainly a very obvious comparison! 😂

I know what you mean though. And if Falkirk's aim is to find guys who score regularly against us then that's a very good start. They could do worse than re-sign Connor Sammon too if that's the aim though. Pair of them score half their damned goals against us!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I know what you mean though. And if Falkirk's aim is to find guys who score regularly against us then that's a very good start. They could do worse than re-sign Connor Sammon too if that's the aim though. Pair of them score half their damned goals against us!

I'm waiting to get a line in commentary about Donnelly playing football like prime Federer in tennis.  Effortless grace. 

The moment will no doubt come which I will enjoy all the more for someone who looks like Peter Crouch's cousin

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tried that against dunfermline by signing allan and Wright last season who both scored a brace against dunfermline in the first half of the season. Safe to say it didnt work

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

We've signed MacIver on a two year deal, not a surprise given the way McGlynn likes to play. Really hope he can improve on his finishing and get more goals.

https://twitter.com/falkirkfc/status/1661719822302846976?s=46&t=QQ5MiZ-j5wpkHq0oncrRaA

I'm surprised at Falkirk signing MacIver. There's a chance that he'll pair up well with Agyeman and do the donkey/link up work to allow Agyeman to run in behind but I'm not 100% convinced.

I'm not really sorry to see him go as I don't think that the partnership with Sammon worked that well and given Conor's goal scoring this year if we had to let one go it was going to be MacIver. You couldn't ever fault MacIver's work ethic or his attitude but I think that we'll be a better team with Sammon and Donnelly up front.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I've heard Steve Boyd is coming back to you.

I doubt if that's going to be too popular. He was very much seen as Barry Ferguson's man when he was with us and he really didn't seem to care for the stick that Ferguson got. In the first game after Ferguson was sacked he was subbed off and given a standing ovation by our fans, only for him to walk in front of us and to pointedly ignore the applause.

I liked MacIver for Alloa, his link up and positional play are good and aerial ability excellent. Wins so many flick ons and puts them into good places. The problem for us last season was that we didn't have a player who could feed off that. The day Euan Henderson scored four was really the Ross MacIver show but Sammon was never going to do the same job. Credit to MacIver who stuck at it despite it not being a partnership that suited him. 

He might well be ideal with someone like Jordan Allan. I don't see his finishing improving hugely though just because it's very hard to learn that composure in front of goal. Don't think that's ever going to be his game. He could probably do with a patient fanbase who understand his game and appreciate what he brings rather than getting worked about what he doesn't. I'm sure he'll get that at Falkirk 😉. Hope he does well anyway, he gave his all for the Wasps. 

I'd be happy enough with Boyd coming back actually. Inconsistent but on his day was very good and the kind of striker we lacked this past season. Get him playing to potentially regularly and he could be very good. 

That's an interesting signing for Falkirk. I was just saying to a Falkirk supporting friend of mine this morning that I would rather have Ross McIver up front as my main man than either LD or Big Sammo (not that I don't appreciate what they bring, I do).

It appears John McGlynn shares my view, just like Brian Rice did re Daniel Church. 😜

I hope Ross does really well at TFS (I always hope young players moving on from Alloa succeed), he's a cleverer player than he is given credit for IMO, and works very hard.

I think talk of McGlynn paring him with another striker up front may well prove wide of the mark (although I'm sure that will happen occasionally). I think he's more likely to be a sole front man with three winger/attacking midfielder types playing off him in the 4-2-3-1 formation. 

Clearly his weakness is finishing. He's just not a natural finisher and consequently his goals return ratio is poor. This could certainly count against him with the Falkirk fan base.

FWIW I think that there are technical weaknesses with his finishing that could be improved; e.g. his body angle and ball position when he's having a shot in the box. If those weaknesses are worked on and practised then I can see his scoring rate improving.

I think Fergie only knew three words on the touchline: Boydy, Churchy and Hendo.

Was surprised Boyd moved up a league last summer. You could tell what kind of game he was going to have after his first couple of touches. Sometimes felt he didn't give 100% on the pitch and sulked a bit. Suppose your manager shouting your name constantly is probably draining though.

33 minutes ago, Dink said:

I doubt if that's going to be too popular. He was very much seen as Barry Ferguson's man when he was with us and he really didn't seem to care for the stick that Ferguson got. In the first game after Ferguson was sacked he was subbed off and given a standing ovation by our fans, only for him to walk in front of us and to pointedly ignore the applause.

Was he? I didn't pick that up - what was the reason?

I think Boyd was the least BF man - Mendy and Hutton definitely and to some extent Durnan as the captain.

Boyd's popularity with Barry was likely due to his early season goals which kept us in the running until we signed Henderson. I actually didn't hate Boyd as a striker and I wouldn't mind resigning him. Brian Rice might turn him into a very serviceable player given enough time with him ala Church.

I don’t think Boyd is as bad a signing as made out here. Like mentioned above, his goals were the bright spark in a poor first half of the season. It was a weird one when he left as nobody really noticed it or expected it. Not sure how much he’s played for ICT, think I’ve only seen him in his cameo at Hampden. 

He gives you a different type of attacking threat than we had with the bigger guys last season, and I’d never say no to those sort of players. Also, Boyd can hit a free-kick haha. Simple things but can’t remember any this season going in.

Edited by KierenAAFC

3 hours ago, printer said:

Was he? I didn't pick that up - what was the reason?

I always thought that Boyd didnt take to the fans at all , Maybe it is just his manner ? like some i saw him as BF's boy and i don't think i would like to see him back he was not all that good to me ,  As for McIver going to Falkirk i wish him all the best , Falkirk fans are ruthless and i hope he hits form fast or he could get some stick, Brilliant in the air though that being one of his best assets

So we are down Stanger (surely ) Church ,  McIver, Durnan some signings to be done soon 

45 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

As for McIver going to Falkirk i wish him all the best , Falkirk fans are ruthless and i hope he hits form fast or he could get some stick, Brilliant in the air though that being one of his best assets 

Let's hope Falkirk don't train the talent from him like they did with Stevie H🤔

8 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

I always thought that Boyd didnt take to the fans at all , Maybe it is just his manner ? like some i saw him as BF's boy and i don't think i would like to see him back he was not all that good to me ,  As for McIver going to Falkirk i wish him all the best , Falkirk fans are ruthless and i hope he hits form fast or he could get some stick, Brilliant in the air though that being one of his best assets

So we are down Stanger (surely ) Church ,  McIver, Durnan some signings to be done soon 

Still struggling to see what the evidence is for this opinion.

9 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

I don’t think Boyd is as bad a signing as made out here. Like mentioned above, his goals were the bright spark in a poor first half of the season. It was a weird one when he left as nobody really noticed it or expected it. Not sure how much he’s played for ICT, think I’ve only seen him in his cameo at Hampden. 

He gives you a different type of attacking threat than we had with the bigger guys last season, and I’d never say no to those sort of players. Also, Boyd can hit a free-kick haha. Simple things but can’t remember any this season going in.

Yeah, neither do I. He can be frustrating at times (a bit greedy, loses the ball too often), but if he can get amongst the goals again then he can contribute well enough.