The Alloa Athletic Thread

You said you hate Livi. I took that as a sign of being annoyed at them.

Usually if I hate something it annoys me as well.

I thought you meant being annoyed at Alloa - Yes you are correct I'm annoyed at Livi, constantly getting away with breaking the rules - I'm sure if say Alloa were doing what Livi have been doing over the last few years then their fans would be annoyed too no?

Or Raith Rovers, Alloa fans have been Livid.

Reckon Rankine did have dual interest in Dumbarton too, between us we've dismantled the Alloa team.

Can see why you might think this but we will see how it pans out. Docherty is overrated in my opinion and Cawley has been anything but prolific and has become less effective as the seasons have passed and a think a move suited both parties.

Obviously sad to lose Ben but he is nearing 30 and was never blessed with searing pace, i dont think there is too much room for improvement there but again 4 years with us maybe a change will do him and Alloa good, as for Buchannan his career wasnt really going anywhere fast until we took a chance on him last season, he has had one good season at this level, no guarantee that he may not slide back into the mediocre career he has had over the last few years.

Really looking forward to the new season as will be watching a new team altogether, a relatively new manager, new players and a new style of play, it may work out and it may not but not losing any sleep over the team being disbanded and as Big Martyn says we just stayed up and no more over the last two seasons, we were never world beaters and as much as they are good signings i think Livingston and Dumbarton maybe shouldnt be getting to excited yet.

Can see why you might think this but we will see how it pans out. Docherty is overrated in my opinion and Cawley has been anything but prolific and has become less effective as the seasons have passed and a think a move suited both parties.

Obviously sad to lose Ben but he is nearing 30 and was never blessed with searing pace, i dont think there is too much room for improvement there but again 4 years with us maybe a change will do him and Alloa good, as for Buchannan his career wasnt really going anywhere fast until we took a chance on him last season, he has had one good season at this level, no guarantee that he may not slide back into the mediocre career he has had over the last few years.

Really looking forward to the new season as will be watching a new team altogether, a relatively new manager, new players and a new style of play, it may work out and it may not but not losing any sleep over the team being disbanded and as Big Martyn says we just stayed up and no more over the last two seasons, we were never world beaters and as much as they are good signings i think Livingston and Dumbarton maybe shouldnt be getting to excited yet.

Docherty overrated? He never came second in POTY for nothing.

Since Docs returned to us he had been excellent, providing some drive in the midfield as well as a good delivery from wide areas. If Dumbarton play him in midfield then he'll be a good player for them. There seems to be a suggestion that he'll be playing as a full-back, however, and if we come up against a Dumbarton team with Docs at left-back I'll be happy. I don't think that he ever seems comfortable there and he really struggles when up against a winger with a bit of pace.

Edited by Dink

There is nothing particular that he did or didnt do, in my opinion i see Docherty as a player that tries hard, gives 100% that is never in question but at Championship level he lacks the pace, skill and technical ability certainly as a midfielder to be a stand out and i thought he was exposed at times last year (as were others), i just dont think he is such a big loss as any of the other players.

Lets not forget when we got promoted to the Championship Hartley punted him as he was obviously of the opinion that he was not good enough at this level and that there was better options out there and reading between the lines in what Docherty has said about joining Dumbarton he talks about how Aitken knows his game etc but purely speculating here it would appear that Lennon maybe couldnt give Docherty the guarantees he was looking for and Lennon doesnt appear to have fought too hard to keep him.

Docherty is overrated by Alloa fans generally. Not saying he didn't do well for us, just not as well as getting voted second in the PotY vote - was he really better than Gordon, Simmons, McCord etc?

Think a lot of people where pleasantly surprised by how well Docherty done last season and that perhaps clouded the vote for POTY. He was nowhere near our 2nd best player though!