The Alloa Athletic Thread

35 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Mark Burchill will be in for it. Didn't do too badly with Livi.

Oh, you.

Glad to see you're back, Terry. I'm sure they've missed you on the Politics board.

Disappointed jack didn't see out a full season with us, but hey ho. I don't think his record was anything special in the championship, he did improve us but that wasn't hard imo. I expect the St MIrren groundsman is bringing in the pitch already.

We all feel the same fella but Manager always look after their own interests first 

When the full time offers come in they have to go simple 

If am honest I think jack will go further than Hartley in the game 

Am sure the Chairman and Board are gutted at losing him after 8 months 

He has assembled a good Squad to which we can be thankful 

And I hope we can go on to get promotion 

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

Bit disappointed in Jack who was given a chance by Alloa and well backed, I think he should have given us a full season. Certainly gave us some great days in his short time in charge though, and I believe he would have led us to the title had he stayed. Still early days for him, but I think he has the attributes to do very very well.

Don't think you can ever blame a manager for leaving a part-time job for full-time in these circumstances. A manager's shelf life is so short these day, if Alloa had slipped down and finished 3rd or 4th like I think you'd have done he would have been yesterday's news by the end of the season. Even if he'd finished 1st or 2nd St Mirren is about as good a job as he could hope to get, don't really see what he'd have gained by staying.

If you're a manager you've got to cash in when you can because one poor run of form and you'll be punted never to be heard of again.

3 hours ago, Afro said:

Hence why I said highly unlikely.

That'd be a laugh. Some of his signings, in retrospect, were total pants.

In fairness due to the transfer embargo at the start of his first full season he only had a short period of time to build an entire squad to compete.

When he came in the previous year he really turned us around and got us playing some good stuff. 

His hands where basically tied behind his back and done the best he could with what players he had left available to sign.

Deserves another go at it, he's the type of appointment Alloa have been making and fwiw I think he'd do a decent job with them.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't think you can ever blame a manager for leaving a part-time job for full-time in these circumstances. A manager's shelf life is so short these day, if Alloa had slipped down and finished 3rd or 4th like I think you'd have done he would have been yesterday's news by the end of the season. Even if he'd finished 1st or 2nd St Mirren is about as good a job as he could hope to get, don't really see what he'd have gained by staying.

If you're a manager you've got to cash in when you can because one poor run of form and you'll be punted never to be heard of again.

I understand that argument and the lure of a full-time club. I don't agree however that a manager needs to "cash in" at the first offer, and there are plenty of managers who did just that and made moves which ended up trashing their reputation. Ross has built his own team at Alloa and was very confident of winning the league, something that would have further enhanced his reputation. Working with somebody else's (struggling) squad at St Mirren is a far tougher task. Ross is a clever guy though, and I don't think he would necessarily jumped at the first full-time offer if he didn't think it was right for him. He clearly feels St Mirren is a good move and worth the risk. 

Will be interesting to see who comes in at Alloa next. Tough job for Mike to get somebody as good as JR, but his track record of managerial appointments is pretty good. 

Fowler has been training with the Binos for a while, perhaps a player-manager role for him there to succeed McLaren.

Young to stay put at Albion Rovers.

I'd like MM to take a bit of time and find another eager player-turned-coach doing his badges. Worked well for us in recent times and I don't think either of the above two would take us up. No guarantees with anyone else obviously but this group of players don't deserve to stagnate after being so impressive so far this season. As Waspie says, I too reckon JR would've won the league this season had he stayed.

BigMartyn to take the team in a caretaker role in the meantime.

In fairness due to the transfer embargo at the start of his first full season he only had a short period of time to build an entire squad to compete.

When he came in the previous year he really turned us around and got us playing some good stuff. 

His hands where basically tied behind his back and done the best he could with what players he had left available to sign.

Deserves another go at it, he's the type of appointment Alloa have been making and fwiw I think he'd do a decent job with them.

By all means, he isn't a bad manager. He didn't do too badly with us all things considered, but he definitely needs some advice from a more experienced hand when it comes to transfers. If I could give him some advice, it would definitely be to stop giving jobs to his pals/folk he will know through a mutual connection (Faria, Mampuya, Cole). I know it's commonplace in football but his connections are just plain honking.

Yeah, I'm sure that was key in Jack's decision.

Clearly very disappointed Jack's away. He's been very impressive for us. He's left us with a good squad; a bit over reliant on Greg up front, but otherwise strong and balanced.

Mike has a good track record of managerial appointments IMO, so I think we can rely on him to get a decent replacement in. I suspect he'll go down the young hungry manager route, an ex-high profile player a la Hartley and Ross given the success of those two.

Waters is the player I can see him taking, but not until the end of the season.

I was sad to see this appointment. For Jack Ross himself I understand the lure, but still think in the long run if he could have got a promotion with Alloa on his CV he might do better than a relegation fight with St Mirren. 

Hope Alloa choose well again this time.