The Alloa Athletic Thread

7 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Aye he'll do that. Couldn't rely on him being your No.1 striker & definitely wouldn't get you 10/15+ a season. Still got a learning to do.

Your summer is definitely similar to ours under Lennon. Hope not for your sake. Sure you'll get a flurry soon - just hope Big Ben isn't one!

Geoff Mitchell to the rescue!

We've still got Nade, but he's only really good for about 65 minutes, so if he could come off the bench and do his job he'd probably be decent enough. Last season most of our goals came from Thommo playing out wide, so if we could add another guy to get 10 goals or so from midfield then that would do me. Dale Hilson would fit that mold I reckon, if we could keep him fit.

I'd love us to bring Ben back, he'd be ideal. I've no idea how likely it is to happen mind you. In fact, given our silence on everything, I'm starting to wonder how many players we'll start the season with!

Some superb old stuff on here.

99% of my programme collection is from 1996 onwards, but I do have a few older programmes too - the front covers were tremendous.

26b5190717f5ea4599df5e9bd9fedac9.jpg

More recently, some of the more unusual bits and pieces I have include autographed pages from the turn of the millennium (a misspelt youth) and some ambitious ground redevelopment proposals from around the same time (these look like a feasibility stage proposal - and obviously didn't get further than that!)

b7f4706b08e0b5ce1dc302393ad14bb7.jpg

a7ca6dd1e95345a638f702cce61b64b2.jpg

877315c357a279ad10aad9cc245cd479.jpg

01a107cd3e0ed1b6fd6e2e9d61cf1d21.jpg

bca99711c71d49d7cdd10d6fe834a133.jpg

5 minutes ago, jpm said:

Some superb old stuff on here.

99% of my programme collection is from 1996 onwards, but I do have a few older programmes too - the front covers were tremendous.

26b5190717f5ea4599df5e9bd9fedac9.jpg

More recently, some of the more unusual bits and pieces I have include autographed pages from the turn of the millennium (a misspelt youth) and some ambitious ground redevelopment proposals from around the same time (these look like a feasibility stage proposal - and obviously didn't get further than that!)

b7f4706b08e0b5ce1dc302393ad14bb7.jpg

a7ca6dd1e95345a638f702cce61b64b2.jpg

877315c357a279ad10aad9cc245cd479.jpg

01a107cd3e0ed1b6fd6e2e9d61cf1d21.jpg

bca99711c71d49d7cdd10d6fe834a133.jpg

Some great stuff there jpm 8)

Spence is in the paper saying he wants full time football. It would be a real shame to lose him but all the best if he does move on.

It does make you wonder why he doesn't commit more than one season (Celtic Youth aside) to any of the clubs he plays for though. I know one year contracts are the norm but you don't usually see a player change clubs every season. Last time we heard it was because he doesn't like Lennon and towards the end of this season their was a murmur that he didn't like Goodwin so was off regardless.

His goals will be missed if he moves on but the abuse Goodwin used to receive when subbing him off at times won't be missed. I'm still embarrassed about that day at East Fife.

Spence is in the paper saying he wants full time football. It would be a real shame to lose him but all the best if he does move on.

It does make you wonder why he doesn't commit more than one season (Celtic Youth aside) to any of the clubs he plays for though. I know one year contracts are the norm but you don't usually see a player change clubs every season. Last time we heard it was because he doesn't like Lennon and towards the end of this season their was a murmur that he didn't like Goodwin so was off regardless.

His goals will be missed if he moves on but the abuse Goodwin used to receive when subbing him off at times won't be missed. I'm still embarrassed about that day at East Fife.

Not seen that interview but can't say I'm too surprised. Thought maybe with a good job outside football he'd be looking for higher end PT but obviously he's still young & believes he's better. With it being his dads business as well it's an easy job to walk back into.

Extremely disappointing as he will inevitably leave. No way 26 goals goes unnoticed especially by likes of Raith Rovers. Not sure anyone we brought in will get anywhere near that. Also, not sure if he did have a problem with Goodwin, I know there was rumours like you said but I think Goody was a big fan. He'll be just as disappointed as us.

All the best to him though... He'll no doubt be back in a few years as the cycle continues! [emoji38]

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

Not seen that interview but can't say I'm too surprised. Thought maybe with a good job outside football he'd be looking for higher end PT but obviously he's still young & believes he's better. With it being his dads business as well it's an easy job to walk back into.

Extremely disappointing as he will inevitably leave. No way 26 goals goes unnoticed especially by likes of Raith Rovers. Not sure anyone we brought in will get anywhere near that. Also, not sure if he did have a problem with Goodwin, I know there was rumours like you said but I think Goody was a big fan. He'll be just as disappointed as us.

All the best to him though... He'll no doubt be back in a few years as the cycle continues! emoji38.png

Not surprised he's looking for full time football, but if no full time club wants him I think he'll stay. Can't see him moving to another part time club, and think rumours of a rift with Goody are greatly exaggerated. Goody had his reasons for not playing him 90 minutes every week and I think communication between the two was good. 

Spence is probably the hardest player to replace. Not only was his haul last year fantastic but pretty consistent over the full season. I spoke to a source close to Grieg at the Peterhead cup-tie who was massively complementary about Goody's man management. Obviously that can change and I doubt he will be short of offers. If it pans out that he stays then our squad which looks really promising will be very strong.

Pretty sure he will end up at raith, good luck to him !
we can spread the goals around our new strike force hopefully.

Possibly but I remember an Alloa mid week game a few seasons back when he was booed on as a sub by the Kirkcaldy faithful!

Some great memories on here . I have box of programmes in my folks loft 1976 - 1992 and I have a soggy box in my garage from 1992 to 2003. Stopped buying programs f**k Knows why. A lot of great games and memories. I was at Arbroath in 1985 on the pitch at the end . Joy was short lived on the way home after learning about the Bradford fire that afternoon. 

I'm bored, we've signed nobody, and only appear to be linked very vaugely with players. Anyway, one of these players is apparently a 'big striker'. With you guys signing Fleming, Renton and Malcolm I assume that you won't be having Dylan Mackin back permanently. He's big, and a striker, and is the sort of guy we normally go for, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him continue our strong record of sharing players.
Could he do a job?

Mackin has been linked with brechin already, i do think he could do a job for you though.

I didnt think thommo could and i was proved very wrong.

I'm sure stevie will have players in mind he wants to sign, i do think he has his work cut out though, everybody always has you as favourites to go down and have been proved wrong.

Would be a massive loss, the pull of barry smith and being closer to home means greig could sign for raith, cant see him signing for any other part time team.

Wasnt even at tht east fife game but i feel the same, shocking.

Player top from mid 90s and the glorious promotion winning 89 top which gets an outing on very special occasions
rsz_imag1064.thumb.jpg.1cdb2f47742b82c665c613c780cfea83.jpg
rsz_imag1065_1.thumb.jpg.fa6b41f7cd8344edddf9085776f7dfda.jpg

That matchwinner top [emoji7]