The Alloa Athletic Thread

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

The thread could do with more memorabilia :).

Aw don't tempt me I've got half a room full of stuff.

The most esteemed and prestigious prized possession of course is my 2012 8-1 Elgin programme signed by the Kaiser himself Ryan Harding after I mobbed him in the ensuing pitch invasion.

I'll try and post up a few old items of interest tomorrow, but some cracking stuff posted already.

3 hours ago, Sixtyten said:

1989/90 was my second season following Alloa. I remember we made a promising start to that campaign playing some great football, but that Clydebank game was a 4-1 drubbing which got us on a slippery slope to relegation. I think the picture's from a 3-3 draw at Forfar.

Yeah we started not too bad at all for the first half dozen games, the culmination a 3 1 win at Meadowbank with the late great Mungo McCallum netting a hat trick. Also had an all ticket match at home to Falkirk, a proper rarity for a league game until recent seasons and games against Hibs Hearts and Rangers. Remember getting the ticket from George Ormistons paper shop at the bottom of High St.

Seeing as jim has been busy and just about (waters) signed up a good squad for next season its a good opportunity to do stuff like this ,

it is not a bad time to be an alloa supporter just now . We have seen some really good days in the last few years and may we continue being the envy of similar clubs to ourselves .

Oooh Ah Alloa say Oooh Ah Alloa................:lol:

1 minute ago, whereismillar said:

Seeing as jim has been busy and just about (waters) signed up a good squad for next season its a good opportunity to do stuff like this ,

it is not a bad time to be an alloa supporter just now . We have seen some really good days in the last few years and may we continue being the envy of similar clubs to ourselves .

Oooh Ah Alloa say Oooh Ah Alloa................:lol:

The last 6 years have seen some crazy highs with some terrific Alloa teams and players.

Mungo McCallum was a great player. He got a horrible injury about 7 or 8 games in which was a disaster for us as he was on fire up til then, and I don't think he was quite the same player when he came back. Injuries in general seemed to screw that season up, but I think Mungo was most missed of all.

1 hour ago, whereismillar said:

Some nice stuff coming up here, this is my scarf, it was given to me by the same man that gave me the programmes, this was his old one and he had a new one so i got this from him, I can honestly say the day i received this scarf was the day i became an alloa supporter. I reckon it is about 50 years old at least but i may be wrong, it is one of my prized possessions and goes to every game...........

DSCF4146.JPG

Excellent! And another Alloa badge that's better than the current one.

Don't want to interrupt the memorabilia-fest, but has there been any news on season ticket prices yet? Maybe getting ahead of myself, but I think there's normally an announcement by now.

I presume the Stirlingshire Cup's on hiatus for another season  :(

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Don't want to interrupt the memorabilia-fest, but has there been any news on season ticket prices yet? Maybe getting ahead of myself, but I think there's normally an announcement by now.

I presume the Stirlingshire Cup's on hiatus for another season  :(

Last year they were announced the Tuesday after the league cup draw. Which would have been yesterday. 

Mungo McCallum sadly passed away following a heart attack aged just 39. A tremendous talent and one of the cleverest front men I ever seen playing for alloa. Brilliant awareness especially with his back to goal. A player that was a workhorse beside a main striker. Never forgotten

Drew paterson , there was a player , Witnessed his career ending game at cliftonhill can't remember the name of the so called player who broke his leg , but someone might enlighten me , he ended up in monklands hospital where the wife was a student nurse and went to visit him, wonder where he is now ?

Sammy Conn was the c*nt. Thug.

Drew Paterson running at defenders with the ball was a truly magnificent sight.

11 minutes ago, Oweny said:

Mungo McCallum sadly passed away following a heart attack aged just 39. A tremendous talent and one of the cleverest front men I ever seen playing for alloa. Brilliant awareness especially with his back to goal. A player that was a workhorse beside a main striker. Never forgotten

Absolutely Oweny, I remember Mungo as being strong as an ox and having a thunderous shot, but sadly struggled with injuries and should have played many more games for us than he did. 

3 minutes ago, printer said:

Sammy Conn was the c*nt. Thug.

Drew Paterson running at defenders with the ball was a truly magnificent sight.

Totally agree Printer, Paterson would always be in my favourite Alloa eleven, i seem to remember he had quite a unique running style which was very deceiving, he was so much faster than he looked with plenty of skill mixed in, until of course Conn took him out.  

11 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Yeah we started not too bad at all for the first half dozen games, the culmination a 3 1 win at Meadowbank with the late great Mungo McCallum netting a hat trick. Also had an all ticket match at home to Falkirk, a proper rarity for a league game until recent seasons and games against Hibs Hearts and Rangers. Remember getting the ticket from George Ormistons paper shop at the bottom of High St.

My memories of Meadowbank are soured by the 3 hour bus journey back. We all got on the bus celebrating and got off looking like we'd stood on a dog turd. 

I have a few old programmes and a few bits and pieces. I found this badge when I was clearing out my late grandads stuff

ed7034584b70065627f8451acbafdb3d.jpg

I also have a Willie Irvine top trumps card.

5a241879d4ce6cb95cec8a20bb34ab0d.jpg

I'm bored, we've signed nobody, and only appear to be linked very vaugely with players. Anyway, one of these players is apparently a 'big striker'. With you guys signing Fleming, Renton and Malcolm I assume that you won't be having Dylan Mackin back permanently. He's big, and a striker, and is the sort of guy we normally go for, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him continue our strong record of sharing players.

Could he do a job?

I'm bored, we've signed nobody, and only appear to be linked very vaugely with players. Anyway, one of these players is apparently a 'big striker'. With you guys signing Fleming, Renton and Malcolm I assume that you won't be having Dylan Mackin back permanently. He's big, and a striker, and is the sort of guy we normally go for, so I wouldn't be shocked to see him continue our strong record of sharing players.
Could he do a job?

If he's not looking for full time which I think he would be then he probably would do a job. He came to us half way through the season & did take him a while to settle in. However, as the season went on he definitely did improve. Still a bit raw & would definitely benefit with someone with a more experienced head alongside him. Last game of the season him & Spence did look very good together but unfortunately it wasn't like that all the time.

I was a fan of Mackin and would've taken him back unlike some other fans. But with us signing those guys like you said, he definitely won't be coming back to us. Goodwin did say he was going to speak to him which makes me think he's holding off for FT or of course, yourselves in the Championship. Brechin also linked.

Just now, KierenAAFC said:

If he's not looking for full time which I think he would be then he probably would do a job. He came to us half way through the season & did take him a while to settle in. However, as the season went on he definitely did improve. Still a bit raw & would definitely benefit with someone with a more experienced head alongside him. Last game of the season him & Spence did look very good together but unfortunately it wasn't like that all the time.

I was a fan of Mackin and would've taken him back unlike some other fans. But with us signing those guys like you said, he definitely won't be coming back to us. Goodwin did say he was going to speak to him which makes me think he's holding off for FT or of course, yourselves in the Championship. Brechin also linked.

I've no idea what we'll be playing next season, though it's likely to be a 4-2-3-1 like last season. We normally played a big targetman (Fleming, Nade, R.Thomson) with some more creative types behind, so if he can do the simple stuff - win headers, hold play up etc - then he'd probably do a job for us.

I'm just desperate for some sort of news to be honest, as my Twitter shows :lol:

I've no idea what we'll be playing next season, though it's likely to be a 4-2-3-1 like last season. We normally played a big targetman (Fleming, Nade, R.Thomson) with some more creative types behind, so if he can do the simple stuff - win headers, hold play up etc - then he'd probably do a job for us.
I'm just desperate for some sort of news to be honest, as my Twitter shows :lol:

Aye he'll do that. Couldn't rely on him being your No.1 striker & definitely wouldn't get you 10/15+ a season. Still got a learning to do.

Your summer is definitely similar to ours under Lennon. Hope not for your sake. Sure you'll get a flurry soon - just hope Big Ben isn't one!