The Alloa Athletic Thread

Yeah, was a bit worried about today, but hopefully that's more the standard of performance we'll be seeing. Could even see a bit of potential for Kris Renton.

Sill had to rely on wee Kev for the goal, mind, but early days.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:54, LeodhasXD said:

Another manager interview. zzz

Coverage is excellent but I'm missing the dance music from last season as Jim's intro.

Hopefully the manager is talking about a win tomorrow night. The team seems to have bounced back well from the Montrose defeat with two fine performances, but we're still without a win after 5 games and we don't want that going on much longer. Expecting tomorrow to be tough but a game we can certainly win.

I've pulled together some of the programme stuff from last season together here; http://waspshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/the-brown-brothers-of-clackmannan-and.html?spref=tw&m=1 If nothing else it might help you get to sleep.

7 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Coverage is excellent but I'm missing the dance music from last season as Jim's intro.

Hopefully the manager is talking about a win tomorrow night. The team seems to have bounced back well from the Montrose defeat with two fine performances, but we're still without a win after 5 games and we don't want that going on much longer. Expecting tomorrow to be tough but a game we can certainly win.

I've pulled together some of the programme stuff from last season together here; http://waspshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/the-brown-brothers-of-clackmannan-and.html?spref=tw&m=1 If nothing else it might help you get to sleep.

Got to accredit that dance music. Got lazy copy pasting :lol:

I read that earlier. Did you post that on twitter? I'll retweet on the club account

1 hour ago, Tamhain said:

Plays too much football for Jim's liking. 

Surprised at some of the guys he has let go and his signings have not really hit the ground running .....its safe to say Alloa at moment are not on my weekend football coupon at moment as results are all over the shot 

22 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Easy, tiger. This side's still light years better than the one Danny Lennon put together. The manager probably is too.

Was just thinking that there is a comparison to be made between the game tomorrow night and the Elgin match we lost under Lennon at a similar point that season. Getting knocked out of the Challenge Cup at that stage wasn't a disaster, but after an underwhelming League Cup exit and not much optimism from the opening 2 league games it was a game I hoped we could win and try and build some kind of confidence. Instead it was a dispiriting defeat against limited opposition and the sign of what was to come in the months ahead.

We go into this one with 0 wins from 6 competitive games so far (albeit 2 against top flight opposition). Again, it wouldn't define our season if we lost to the Dundee Colts, but a good win and improved performance could well boost the confidence and set us up for Saturday. 2 wins in the next few days and we are very much up and running. If we were to lose then fail to beat QP at the weekend then it starts to get slightly worrying. As such, I'd hope for a pretty strong team at Dens (in other circumstances might have rung the changes a bit here) and the boys going all out for the victory.

Braw post and some great points Waspie- we should have never lost that game to Elgin, had enough chances to kill the game in normal time but in the end only had themselves to blame.

I dont mind shaking it up a bit tomorrow night and give the likes of McD, McKeown and Adam Martin starting slots. But all 3 strikers need a goal- I'd be starting with Malcolm and Fleming as per. Nothing against Dundee under 20s, but surely we will come out on top.

47 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

Braw post and some great points Waspie- we should have never lost that game to Elgin, had enough chances to kill the game in normal time but in the end only had themselves to blame.

I dont mind shaking it up a bit tomorrow night and give the likes of McD, McKeown and Adam Martin starting slots. But all 3 strikers need a goal- I'd be starting with Malcolm and Fleming as per. Nothing against Dundee under 20s, but surely we will come out on top.

Celebrating the demise of all but a few of the under 20 sides tonight. Most notable Celtic who beat us in a closed door game are getting beat by Annan and Calum Waters in the Kilmarnock U20's is getting beat 2-0 by Berwick.

Dundee finished bottom of the league so I feel like a defeat would be embarrassing for us but getting drawn to Ross County away in the next round would be worse than a defeat.

My favourite result though is probably EK think there's a bit of magic in that game unlike in any U20 game. I jinxed them :lol:

Edited by LeodhasXD

I saw this on twitter; http://perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/club-statement-joe-mcgurn

I remember when he signed, right when I started following Alloa. Don't recall him playing too often though and I see in the obit that he was troubled by injuries after leaving St Johnstone. Older fans will remember more. Condolences to his family.

I feel like there was a bit of Bala Town '16 in that game tonight. 3 - 0 up and comfortable then a goal put of the blue and not being able to get into gear second half. Again a joke that the colts teams are in the competition. If we are drawn away to any of them I'm going to be disappointed. Want to avoid the trip to Buckie though I'm partial to a trip to Ireland or Wales.

I feel like there was a bit of Bala Town '16 in that game tonight. 3 - 0 up and comfortable then a goal put of the blue and not being able to get into gear second half. Again a joke that the colts teams are in the competition. If we are drawn away to any of them I'm going to be disappointed. Want to avoid the trip to Buckie though I'm partial to a trip to Ireland or Wales.

I agree with you in that I disagree with the colts teams being allowed. Feel it's a little bit disrespectful and further diminishes this competition.

Aside from that though, how did we do? Any youngsters catch the eye from us?

12 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Yeah I get the comparison, except we were about 100 times better against Bala against stronger opposition. Looked like shooty in early on after going 3 up, but started coasting second half. I didnt think there was too much danger of a comeback even at 3 2, but still was an unnecessary situation to put ourselves in when we really should have been trying to build confidence for the league campaign.

If the manager puts up his team on Saturday with the same starting 11 as last week, with the possible exception of Adam Martin not one player can have any complaint.

Plus points- a good turn and drive forward by Cook to create the opener, good work from Martin to cross in for the fourth- and a bonus for the recipient of both chances Craig Malcolm to get off the mark with a double.

Some nice bits of play from Cawley and Flannigan in the opening half, and Scott Taggart has undoubtedly been our best player so far this season.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I agree with you in that I disagree with the colts teams being allowed. Feel it's a little bit disrespectful and further diminishes this competition.

Aside from that though, how did we do? Any youngsters catch the eye from us?

I thought they were okay, looked a bit intimidated early on but got great belief from the goal. In the end gave us a game. Their first (by number 9) was a beauty.