The Alloa Athletic Thread

I assume it's going to be a quiet deadline day at alloa, don't see us doing much.

Big thing for us is PJ not being out for long! Was the only positive on Saturday & would be a real gutter if he's out for 6 weeks without getting a good run at it. We'd be back to square one if that was the case!

We were very unlucky today.Played pretty well but didn't take the good chances we created.Utd didn't really create anything up to the really soft penalty award.Not a big fan of MOM stats as the same players tend to get them regardless of performance but I thought Stevie Hetherington was really good

Cawley was by far the best performer yesterday. Provided the best interplay out of anyone on the park. Martin had another exciting cameo. Cook had moments of good and bad. Renton was only useful in aerial challenges(being positive) and got more and more frustrated as the game went on. I'm not a big fan of him but I disagree with fans shouting "he's shite get him subbed Jim." IMO criticism is a poor motivator. You could see from the bench that we didn't really have anyone to bring on up front which makes me wonder where McDonald is because I think he would have got a good run out against them and more exciting for everyone to watch a young boy with potential.

Overall you could see that Dundee Utd team was weak though and I'm scratching my head how we got beat 3-1. Yet to look back at the penalty will probably do most of the highlights today.

But what stuck in my mind more than the game is Dundee is a scary place. Parked my car in the street and walked round to the ground and 3 junkies are shooting up on heroin virtually outside in full view of folk walking past.

Renton was only useful in aerial challenges(being positive) and got more and more frustrated as the game went on. I'm not a big fan of him but I disagree with fans shouting "he's shite get him subbed Jim." IMO criticism is a poor motivator.

Renton is utterly useless can't get daily record under his feet when he jumps. His positional play is shit his second touch is a tackle. Cook has been poor as has Fleming. Grant can't buy a game at present very scary when you see how poor we are. These are all reasons before we talk about tactics fans are frustrated three of Jims signings that could not fill the boots of homes or marr. The squad lacks quality pace and vision. There is no leaders on or off the park. The fans can see that and are either chosen to stay away or go spend good money to watch utter dross and then vent there frustrations. Saturday now becomes a very important game lose and pressure is on Jim as I can't see him turning it around.

Obviously if you look at the majority of the summer signings they haven't filled the boots of last seasons players but can't hoof all the blame on Jim. I'd like to see his budget compared to Jack's last season. Significantly less I'd imagine.

People keep coming back to the release of Marr & Holmes, which always would be risky because of their status in Alloa. They are good players but if we had both of them starting 11 would it be a different start to the season? I doubt it. We brought Meggatt in defence & kept Andy. In midfield, we still have Stevie & Robbo. The problem lies up front.

We weren't able to replace Spence & Kirkpatrick, who pretty much carried us at times last season. They must have got 40ish goals between them and we are seriously missing that. Fleming, Renton, Malcolm & Cook haven't lived up to those heights yet and Flanny/Kev aren't quite going to you 40 goals. I wouldn't say they were irreplaceable but for us, they probably were.

It's a bad position to be in but I'm struggling to see how any manager could replace these two massive players on a cut budget.

On speaking to board members The budget is the same as last season. Jim has to take responsibility for his signings which are all very poor with exception of meggat. No one expected direct and comparable signings to Spence etc but players who can play and put a shift in. Any team in this league needs to have players willing to dig in unfortunately we have a number who are missing this at present. His tactics are poor they do no match the skill base of the team he constantly argues with linesman to deflect from his in abilities to change tactics.

To think today is the first anniversary of us winning our tenth consecutive game under Jack Ross. Impossible act to follow, but Goodwin's selections, tactics and signings have been poor. A man who spent his career with teams battling relegation, so he'll feel more comfortable this season.

I don't see how the budget can be the same as last season. The squad last season would have been built on the hefty (for our level) prize money we got for finishing 10th in the Championship in 2015/16. The League Cup run then brought in more which almost certainly allowed us to bring in McKeown, McCluskey and Mackin at new year. The prize money for finishing 2nd in League 1 is much smaller so we'd have needed to go straight back up last season to stay on the same budget. The only way we could be on the same money would be Mike and the board subsidising the thing big time. But when you look at the summer signings and the number of youths in the squad I don't see how that can be possibly be the case. 

I haven't seen enough of the team yet this season to offer a valid opinion. But I felt last season that Jim Goodwin inherited an excellent set of players and ultimately didn't make the most of their talents. Team by the end was unrecognisable from the beginning of the season. Jack Ross got more than the sum of their parts from that squad but I felt Goodwin was the opposite. If we were to see the same trend when he has a smaller and less talented squad then we are in bother. Early days still though, can't be panicking at this stage.

New sponsor yesterday? Very low key.

Would be interested to see more of McDonald. Didn't realise he's only 16. How's Scotty Hynd getting on at Sauchie, BTW?

If our playing budget is the same as last season, either we're seriously overpaying or Spence, Kirkpatrick et al were an even bigger bargain than we originally thought. Or Jim's keeping a slush fund for a massive piss-up at the season's end, in which case I won't hear a bad word said about the man.

I thought it was a pretty decent performance yesterday in a low key game. We were unfortunate to go behind to a very soft penalty and did well to battle back into the game.

Renton did better in the air, and is still reasonable in the middle of the opposition half back to goal. Ironically I actually think he might have done us a turn last season with Spence in front of him. But he really needs something in the box as he currently doesn't look likely to score.

Midfield good yesterday and defence solid. I think it's no accident that our 3 best performances so far have come against teams where we have been regarded as the underdog. We've been able to sit back, where the onus isn't so much on us to attack and take the initiative. We obviously need to develop this if we are going to challenge for the title or at the top end in the league. I think we can do this with the players we have (and have a few ideas of my own :rolleyes:) but we do need to make some switches to the current situation for a successful campaign. 

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)