The Alloa Athletic Thread

9 points from the first quarter is a poor return from what isn't a bad squad. I did have concerns pre-season that the squad was a bit light and that we could struggle if key men like Flannigan were to be injured. Worryingly Flanny and Kev Cawley have been injury free and we have still struggled. 

You could argue that but for late goals from Raith and Ayr that we would be higher up the league. However, we could also easily have lost the two games we won, against the weakest two sides in the league. I don't find Jim very convincing either. He tried to claim our dodgy start was down to new players bedding in, but that was hardly an issue last season when there were even more changes. Our form has gone off again since he said it too. He said after today's game that we need one win to get going but surely he knows there is more to our poor start than that. He wasn't able to get the best out of an excellent squad last season, ultimately losing out on promotion to a much weaker team. We were always going to have a weaker squad this season (because of our failure in the play-offs), but he is again getting less than the sum of their parts from the group. I don't think his signings were necessarily all that bad but he doesn't seem to know where they all fit in and how to get the best out of them. He showed early in his managerial career that he wasn't afraid of making big calls and changing things around, but invariably those big calls have been poor ones (and unnecessary at times). 

It's still early and he isn't doing so badly that there is great pressure on him, and you could make a case that he is still learning this role and will improve. I think the chairman will give him plenty of time. The problem is that I don't see evidence from his year as a manager that he is going to get better. How long do you give someone when there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that they are up to it? 

I don't think his signings were necessarily all that bad but he doesn't seem to know where they all fit in and how to get the best out of them

I agree with both of these points. On paper signings like Malcom, Cook and, in particular, Fleming looked good enough to have us challenging at the top end of the table, but all three have been very disappointing and at least part of that must be down to the manager.

Renton was unproven at our level, but he is the attacking signing who has done best even if he hasn't set the heather on fire.

Jim's worst signing decision by a long way remains releasing Holmer. Never be able to get my head around that one.

people are now saying they could see it coming after last season but after the end of the season people were saying he should be kept on, IMO Jim got lucky last season with the points Jack Ross amassed and the team Jack put together, Some of the team selections decisions he made last season were baffling and his signings this season have been poor and we just haven't hit the  ground running hopefully the board don't wait till we get cut adrift from the top half before making a decision.

I have missed a lot of games this season due to work commitments so not in a great place to comment on  comparison with the guys that go every week. However for what it's worth my comment and points are  as follows -

1. We have lost great players to full time clubs however they players we have should have amassed more that 8 points for the first quarter. 

2. The players the manager has signed have really not been to the standard required at this level. Signing players from relegated clubs is never a great move. 

3. We have disposed of class players for alloa such as marr and particularly Holmes and their steading influence is badly missed. 

4. I saw the team in pre-season against arbroath and was convinced that we would struggle to escape the relegation play offs when I seen the standard we had recruited.  The onus was always going to be on the existing core of Cawley, flannigan, Graham taggart etc who are undoubted class at this level. It's proven too tough an ask for them and drastic surgery is required quickly. 

Hope things improve but really I don't see light at the end of the tunnel. I fear a cowdenbeath situation emerging. Forfar have secured a decent manager and I really don't see two weaker team's in this division than us. 

We should have been promoted last season and it may be that we are suffering an almighty hangover from this . 

Edited by Oweny

I've got to be honest, my patience with Jim Goodwin is wearing thin.

Losing the likes of Spence and Kirkpatrick to bigger clubs is completely understandable, but his replacement signings have been a real let down. On top of this there's the situation with Adam Martin, who has probably been our most dynamic impact player of this season. However he's been stubbornly and repeatedly placed beneath the ineffective Alan Cook in the pecking order; that to me is Goodwin's own ego coming before the good of the team.

I've generally liked Goodwin as a player for us - his performance at Celtic Park last season, for the first hour at least, was brilliant - but as a manager he just irritates me.

Edited by Sixtyten

Adam Martin, who has probably been our most dynamic impact player of this season. However he's been stubbornly and repeatedly placed beneath the ineffective Alan Cook in the pecking order; that to me is Goodwin's own ego coming before the good of the team.

I don't agree that the reason Cook is starting (some weeks) ahead of Martin is down to Jim Goodwin's ego and I don't believe there is any evidence for that view. Cook certainly hasn't been as bad as some fans seem to think he has IMO, although I have only seen him a handful of times.

I think the manager is actually handling Adam Martin quite well.

There were obviously concerns in summer over recruitment of players and although we expected a reduction in quality and output, I thought we would doing better than we have so far.

I'm not sure if we need major surgery to see an improvement. The same problems are there- midfield doesn't seem to have enough structure- we don't seem to be able to be able to interchange from defence to attack and retain any kind of shape. Flannigan is having to do too much and it all seems way too forced and desperate sometimes. Our attacking play is often a bit predictable too. But these aspects can be improved on based on the squad we have there. Certain players have to give more though.

Agree with printer on the Adam Martin thing. When we are pushing on its the right time to throw him in. The defensive aspects of his game still need work and that was apparent on Saturday. He's done really well, but starting Adam Martin is not going to turn our season around. The manager is handling him well and it's nothing to do with ego.

I think the manager is under a bit of pressure now. And his interview with the advertiser certainly seems to nod to that.

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Don't agree with Martin being the messiah and agree that he shouldn't be starting yet, but cook has been absolutely gash

Don,t think anyone is suggesting young Adam is the messiah but whats the point of developing youngsters if you don,t give them a chance.You can,t say he needs careful nurturing because he is young and play a kid from Celtics development squad who is the same age.I totally agree with the posters who point out that its easier for him in the later stages when the game is more open but he has made a positive impact everytime he has come on.He is also an asset for us as nobody can get him until he is 23 without paying for him.

21 hours ago, Kobe2010 said:

Don,t think anyone is suggesting young Adam is the messiah but whats the point of developing youngsters if you don,t give them a chance.You can,t say he needs careful nurturing because he is young and play a kid from Celtics development squad who is the same age.I totally agree with the posters who point out that its easier for him in the later stages when the game is more open but he has made a positive impact everytime he has come on.He is also an asset for us as nobody can get him until he is 23 without paying for him.

He's getting far more game time than last season and is certainly getting a chance. With injuries and switching things to be more effective it isn't a case of just slotting him into a settled midfield. 

Crossan plays in a different position, with his remit to get more experience so as its mutually beneficial for both parties. Crossan is a bit ahead at the moment and deserves his place in the starting lineup.

Adam has gone from being bit part to a valuable member of the squad. It's still early in the season. He's been used correctly (IMO) and is progressing.

On Saturday the supporters team play Queens Park Supporters at Lesser Hampden at 12.15. The team has a bus running and some spaces are available. Bus will be leaving Alloa at 10.40am and coming back at 5pm from Hampden. The Social Club at Lesser Hampden will be open from 11am.

If interested then send me a message.