The Alloa Athletic Thread

58 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Still only four points off the top, lads  :whistle

Falkirk next week ,big game,  nae hetherington as he did today what hetherington does ,

augmented by the fact fawkirk have the magic ( shiterry) touch on him .

I had thought this would be a tight game and if only our guys had stuck tight to Henderson we might have scraped a draw. He took those shots very clinically and Alloa simply stopped any creativity from our midfield by working hard and being very solid at the back, Good counter attacks as well and might have got more. We were poor in our passing and although the last 15 minutes was a wee bit of a hopeful situation after Currie's good save and our deflected goal, I never thought we deserved an equaliser. Felt Murray changed the team too much from last week and during the game but it shows how tight L1 is. Now for Peterhead.

3 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I had thought this would be a tight game and if only our guys had stuck tight to Henderson we might have scraped a draw. He took those shots very clinically and Alloa simply stopped any creativity from our midfield by working hard and being very solid at the back, Good counter attacks as well and might have got more. We were poor in our passing and although the last 15 minutes was a wee bit of a hopeful situation after Currie's good save and our deflected goal, I never thought we deserved an equaliser. Felt Murray changed the team too much from last week and during the game but it shows how tight L1 is. Now for Peterhead.

Stick too tight to henderson and free kicks and penalties will be on flow, he is that kind of player, very hard to defend against

we had to defend today more than i would like, bar the f up from trouten we did that mainly . think the result was fair though

and very similar to the last game but with airdrie pushing for the equaliser instead .

13 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

As PG has been given the push at dunfermline

how do you folks on here now view his tenure with us ?

some defended him some didn't

given that he has been an abject failure for them what is your thoughts peeps ?

He wasn't the worst (Pat Macauley) and he wasn't the best (Hartley).

I think he genuinely tried to get our team to play football. Restricted budget, covid, lack of goalscorer and refusal to drop his son probably contributed to his demise. On the plus he kept us up and blooded a couple of youngsters. 

Surprised it hasn't worked for him as I thought that squad and his full time coaching would work well. Perhaps he is destined to always be a number 2!?

He was lucky at Alloa in that he inherited a brilliant dressing room of many of the best part time players in Scotland and also great pros. A group who could manage themselves to a fair extent. But he was also clever enough to not upset things unnecessarily (something the current incumbent didn't manage in his first few months) and also able to make some shrewd signings like O'Hara, Deas and Macdonald. There was also evidence of players getting better under his tutelage. 

At the same time, I always felt that despite the difficulties with Covid that he didn't use the loan market in particular well enough. We never addressed the lack of pace and creativity last season. The form of Connelly for QoS makes you wonder why he didn't get near those heights for us, although I also saw Connelly himself saying he struggled with part time and was lazy. 

All in all I thought Grant was ok and I'd have been happy enough giving him another season in more natural circumstances and with the increased budget Ferguson clearly has. Clearly had a nightmare at Dunfermline though and given that start with a good squad he can't have any complaints. 

Yeah, maybe he's a quality #2, but better as part of a team than heading it.

It would've been a bit disappointing if we'd given him another year, and I think the mess at Dunfermline shows it was the right decision. Surely he'll find it difficult to get another managers job above the seaside leagues now. Sometimes you just have to accept your limitations and concentrate on what you're good at.

There's news that could put Alloa Athletic on the international footballing map if this happens -

Scottish lower-league chairman in running to become Fifa vice-president

Alloa Athletic chairman Mike Mulraney is one of three official candidates to become a vice-president of Fifa.

By Craig Fowler

Thursday, 14th January 2021, 11:37 am

Updated

Thursday, 14th January 2021, 11:37 am

Alloa Athletic chairman Mike Mulraney. Picture: SNS

Alloa Athletic chairman Mike Mulraney. Picture: SNS

comments

HAVE YOUR SAY

There has been a vacant position since November after former FA chairman Greg Clarke resigned following “unacceptable” language used to describe black players.

Mulraney will be going up against Irish FA president David Martin and Wales president Kieran O’Connor for the role, which pays £190,000 a year.

There are eight vice-president positions within Fifa’s structure but one is typically reserved for a member from the home nations. This stopped being an official requirement in 2013 but Uefa has continued the tradition when putting forth candidates.

Edited by laughing gravie

4 minutes ago, laughing gravie said:

There's news that could put Alloa Athletic on the international footballing map if this happens -

We're buying out Real Madrid?