The Alloa Athletic Thread

Just now, laughing gravie said:

I doubt if any player with half a brain would waste his time coming to Alloa to have any skill they may have untapped.

If we were the only club looking during the transfer window there's an outside chance we may get a few loans, but in the harsh light of reality, we'll be lucky to get lower league players.

I think that's nonsense.

BF does kinda  blame the players in a roundabout way if the Falkirk programme notes are anything to go by,   "bad patch " lacking in confidence ect no mention that he has to up his own game though  a one sided view if ever there was one .

20 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

No I genuinely suspected even after the appointment that due to the existing squad still present at the club, that we would challenge in promotion play-off positions with an outside chance of going for the league.

Promotion play-offs still definitely attainable, although not looking likely at all on current form.

Also would have taken a season of transition had they appointed a guy like Andy Graham at the time.

I would certainly have taken a season of transition from Andy or indeed whoever was manager if there were some signs that progress was being made. Given the poor recruitment, extremely patchy results and low morale in the team, added to the manger's dodgy record previously, I don't see any hope here of long term progress that would justify a difficult spell of transition. 

For what it's worth, I'd have been confident that Andy would have done much better. The retained list of players he was involved in keeping in May was very sensible. In Craig Howie he signed a solid centre back. We all know Andy has great leadership qualities and is well respected. He might not ultimately end up being a good manager, but I believe that had he taken on the job in May that we'd be doing better. Indeed, I'd even say that the small core of players we had when Ferguson came in - even without the clear need for reinforcements - could have done better playing every week than his team has managed. 

Try this: Parry, back three of Graham, Howie and Jamieson, Taggart and Williamson wing backs, Robertson and Scougall in CM, then front three of Cawley, O'Donnell and Trouten. Obvious need for a proven striker and DM, but even that 11 would have been capable of wining more than 5 games in half a season in this league. 

17 hours ago, printer said:

I think the club will give Barry F several more weeks at least, in particular I think they will give him the January transfer window to bring in a couple of players and see it that improves things results wise.

I think that is a fairly reasonable thing to do, but I'm well aware that there is a very real danger of finishing ninth or tenth if things don't improve.

Unfortunately I think they will. It would be reasonable if there was hope of long term progress, as outlined above. But even if we were to get a short term boost with better results (and given the recruitment so far, the idea of major surgery this month is a little worrying), the long term problem of Ferguson just not being a good manager will remain. Keeping him on will just compound the error made in appointing him in the first place. 

Anyway, Happy New Year😁

I also think they will give the manager the transfer window to fix things, in order to at least say they gave him a fair crack of the whip. I'm the same though, I don't see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel at this moment if we do. At Airdrie game on Boxing Day the Alloa subs ran by me in groups to warm up and I realised there's guys I barely recognise, which kinda sums up the recruitment has been haphazard. Theres going to have to be a big improvement in January, and I suspect he will also have to put a few out to get bodies in.

We gave Goody the January transfer window to sort it back in 2017/18 after a patchy opening half to the season, which is another reason I think we will do likewise here. But if you look back we weren't doing nearly as bad at that stage as we are this campaign. Goody had won 9 games by this point, and had 12 points more on the board at New Year.

5 hours ago, Waspie said:

Try this: Parry, back three of Graham, Howie and Jamieson, Taggart and Williamson wing backs, Robertson and Scougall in CM, then front three of Cawley, O'Donnell and Trouten

Fair play to that. The squad didn't really need what he has done. Parry jettisoned inexcusably, Graham treated terribly, Jamieson fired out at earliest opportunity, Howie seldom used, Williamson totally frozen out, again for what reason considering the disasters (his signings) he's had at LB. Cawley, O'Donnell and Trouten all treated shabbily for no apparent reason. O"Donnell and Williamson should get out in January, would walk into a Div 2 team and get more respect.

Taggart and Robertson are really the only 2 he has regularly persisted with. Says it all that the absolute pish he has brought in have got us where we are.  Have a look at yourself BF, it's no for you son and you're kidding yourself on. 

Edited by McCulloch No.5

Still six months on I am absolutely perplexed why Ferguson left an easy League Two title to take up the Alloa post.

He's doing a shit job but even so it was a hard ask to go back up when you have four or five teams with far bigger budgets in the league. Once he gets the bullet here he will not get another job in management and Alloa could well be in league two.

Head scratching move.

49 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Still six months on I am absolutely perplexed why Ferguson left an easy League Two title to take up the Alloa post.

He's doing a shit job but even so it was a hard ask to go back up when you have four or five teams with far bigger budgets in the league. Once he gets the bullet here he will not get another job in management and Alloa could well be in league two.

Head scratching move.

He'll have his day job talking pish about his Ayebrokes pals instead of managing or mismanaging Alloa?

15 hours ago, Neilly said:

Head scratching move.

Similar to Gary Holt leaving Livi in one of their most successful seasons to utterly fail as Falkirk's director of football. Haven't heard any explanation but I assume it must have been personal reasons or conflicts behind the scenes, maybe for Ferguson too.

17 hours ago, Neilly said:

Head scratching move.

There aren't 4 or 5 far bigger budgets in the league. Alloa already had a really good part-time budget in the Championship and it was increased for this season. You can see from the number of players signed and where a few of them came from that Ferguson has been very well backed. Ultimately he wouldn't have come to Alloa without that. 

He explained himself when he arrived that other mangers had gone from Alloa to full-time clubs and that was his plan. The major flaw in the plan is that those managers were good at the job and earned their moves. It would certainly have been far more sensible for Ferguson to stay where he was but as we have seen ourselves the last few months, Barry isn't great at the sensible decisions. 

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Similar to Gary Holt leaving Livi in one of their most successful seasons to utterly fail as Falkirk's director of football. Haven't heard any explanation but I assume it must have been personal reasons or conflicts behind the scenes, maybe for Ferguson too.

He left us because he lost the dressing room and went on an utterly shite run. He jumped before he was pushed. I'm fairly sure he was days from being sacked, he had certainly lost the fanbase at the time.

"this season they have lost five of eight games at the Tony Macaroni Arena and their away form - five points from a possible 21 - is the worst in the division." I think because he resigned (to save his reputation) the really bad run he took us on went under the radar. Martindale picked up that season and took us to a cup final and 6th place.

I think there was conversation at the time where he was fed up of management and wanted a more secure job within football

On 01/01/2022 at 20:00, Neilly said:

Head scratching move.

Best move ever for us imo, don’t get me wrong happy he took us up but KT a breathe of fresh air with his tactics and man management compared to BF, far too many signings at Kelty that were given no chance to play for some reason then punted says it all 

3 minutes ago, OldCrabbitWasp said:

It's all very quiet from the Indodrill. I fully expected a raft of players being released or moved on but nothing. Maybe the budget is burst and we are going with what we have???

Still time , can't imagine there is good enough quality out there .. that said BF will ruin them even if we did

I can see Hetherington getting punted at Falkirk but i wouldn't want to see him back till our present management have moved on .