The Alloa Athletic Thread

3 hours ago, RolandPie said:

Always seems a bit unfair on Sammon -Im not his biggest fan - but being brought on for last 10  minutes when a couple of goals down isnt ideal - and he does frighten defenders - he could be used in a better way

Whilst Sammon hasn't set the heather on fire he's currently doing as much as he realistically can, with his fleeting appearances from the bench, usually when things are going against us.

Alan Trouten has been a big miss this season. He is getting on in age, but I still expected him to be a big player for us this season. He's only started 4 games- one of those he went off early injured (vs Falkirk at home) and another hooked at half time (Peterhead away). He hasn't featured since November and has had plenty injury problems- he's barely got going at all and that's been a massive blow.

I know it's been a miserable year and everyone's a bit down on our chances for the rest of the season, but I'd just like to point out that the Falkirk thread is currently awash with talk about them signing David Goodwillie.

Things could be so much worse.

The Falkirk thread is utter moon howling stuff in places. But the bizarre behaviour of a select few- not just on here but on other social media outlets- is pretty level pegging with the Falkirk boys.

The fact that we are actually faring worse than the Falkirk shambles means I can't enjoy it as much as I want to.

I'm sure lots will say that a point away to the 2nd top team is a good result but it astounds me how far we have dropped as an attacking, football playing, team in 18 months. The midfield is non existent as an attacking force, going sideways and backwards when options are available to go forward.
We sit deep and let teams come onto us, always looks like a matter of time before we concede. I just wish we would go on the front foot and press teams higher up the pitch.
We are now looking at picking up points, here and there, to stay away from relegation and 70 days since our last victory.

It’s definitely been a pretty brutal watch for a number of weeks now, although I will say yesterday (more so in the first half) was the first time for a long time that I thought we looked like we had an actual structure to our set up. 

The goal yesterday was Alloa at our best - quick counter, 1 or 2 touch flowing football - and it definitely suits us more than trying to play on the front foot and take the game to an opposition. Time and again this season we have been unable to unlock a team that doesn’t come at us. I think looking at where our points have came from this season would back that up. 

As said though, what’s missing is the press. Henderson has been great goals wise and we would be in a much worse position without him, but he is very lazy and doesn’t press at all - contrast that with how O’Hara played, constantly putting pressure on defenders and forcing them to get rid of the ball quickly. When O’Hara played we seemed to gain possession back much higher up the pitch rather than being forced deep, winning the ball back and having no option but to lump it long up the park. 

I agree our midfield is being bypassed most weeks just now, but that press starts with the front man. 

Unbelievable that Montrose were 4/7 on the coupon yesterday pretty much sums up where we are . A good point against the odds but in truth , it's 5 wins out of 20 now in the third tier . A negative goal difference also just demonstrates how poor we have been  . Would take 8th right now . 

1 hour ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Craig Howie Guys. Noticed he didnt play again on Sat. Injured or yet another BF fall out....

While im here and its Jan night aswell ask about Trouten aswell

We never get told these things , taggart was out yesterday too,  might be covid might be injury,   only the grapevine will inform us 

the club don't like to keep us informed 

53 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

We never get told these things , taggart was out yesterday too,  might be covid might be injury,   only the grapevine will inform us 

Also like to keep the opposition teams on their toes. No use saying we have x player struggling with injury for them to target them all game.

Also it's a major faux pas to comment on private medical information.

3 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Craig Howie Guys. Noticed he didnt play again on Sat. Injured or yet another BF fall out....

While im here and its Jan night aswell ask about Trouten aswell

He played a few games as a defensive midfielder early in the season but then fell out of favour after he got sent off. Came back in at centre half due to Durnan being suspended but then got himself sent off again and hasn’t been seen since - with Mendy then getting suspended and then selected for African Nations, he probably would have been in line for a run of games at centre half but Andy Graham has came back in and not put a foot wrong. 

The little we have seen of him I would say he has looked ok, although prefer him at the back as opposed to midfield. 

Trouts has hardly kicked a ball all season, which has been a big disappointment to most supporters. Think he has struggled with injuries and there has been rumours of discontent with Ferguson, but he was on the bench yesterday. Unfortunately Ferguson doesn’t really use subs so he didn’t get on. 

Obviously he is getting on in years, but think he definitely still has something to offer, and he knows where the back of the net is. 

12 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

The silence this season has been deafening. 

Probably due to BF caring more about the Tax Dodgers FC than the club he's supposedly managing.

Or simply mismanaging 🥺

Edited by laughing gravie

16 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Also like to keep the opposition teams on their toes. No use saying we have x player struggling with injury for them to target them all game.

Also it's a major faux pas to comment on private medical information.

We still don't know post match what is going on either   , Taggart and howie were not playing !

hard to target a player who isn't on the park  !!! ?

i get that we don't want to give the opposition an extra advantage but the club already appointed BF  and gave them all the advantage they need  .

Edited by Vegetableman

https://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/2022/01/12/scottish-cup-tickets/
Adult STH can buy an additional ticket
General sale if there's any left on the 18th.

Just everyone be aware you need to be fully vaccinated or provide a negative lateral flow before the game.

What counts as fully these days?