The Alloa Athletic Thread

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm hoping to get it dusted off so I can have a holiday 🫠

Before you go on a well deserved holiday, I would like to thank you for the absolutely brilliant job you have done again this season with wasp TV and social media and all the numerous other jobs you do at the club. I honestly think we have one of the best TV and highlight packages in the lower leagues. You are a credit to us as a club and your work doesn't go unnoticed. 

Also thank you @KierenAAFC another great year on commentary and I hope the new job in Southampton doesn't stop a few appearances on wasp TV next season. 

You and @Kevchenko have had another fantastic season of the podcast, great listening on a weekly basis from you both, topped off by a brilliant interview with Bobby Wales the past week. It must take a fair bit of commitment from you both on a weekly basis and it certainly is appreciated from myself and I'm sure the majority of the Alloa support.

i dont think we will be any more fancied than we were this time around,  pretty difficult when we have QOTS (surely ) looking to make the playoffs at least , Arbroath, ICT , cove , Montrose and Alloa all looking for top 4 as well , Stenny Dumbarton kelty who knows ? With Annan it all depends on who they get in , no team like  Edinburgh city cemented to the bottom either ,

It will be tough and will most likely fall to fine margins and who can recruit the best 

tighter than a gnat's chuff springs to mind .

5 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

i dont think we will be any more fancied than we were this time around,  pretty difficult when we have QOTS (surely ) looking to make the playoffs at least , Arbroath, ICT , cove , Montrose and Alloa all looking for top 4 as well , Stenny Dumbarton kelty who knows ? With Annan it all depends on who they get in , no team like  Edinburgh city cemented to the bottom either ,

It will be tough and will most likely fall to fine margins and who can recruit the best 

I'm almost of a different opinion that Annan barely avoided the drop and they'll no doubt get a few picked up by Murphy at QoS to weaken them more. 

I'd fancy us more than last year because we almost had a whole new team - there was no set formation, no set playing style, and we've ironed that out over the year.

Do think it's another 5 way fight between Cove, Arbroath, QoS ourselves... and the inevitable surprise package whichever one will step up. Although Arbroath are my gut pick because Callum Gallagher scores goals - I'd have loved him at Alloa.

I'm going to boldly write off Montrose. They're another year older and I felt were very threadbare by the end of the season. Although they've bucked my predictions before they're too reliant on Blair Lyons. I'm not sure Kelty will be stronger, and unsure about Dumbarton and Stenny because I don't think League 2 form translates at all.

ICT is next season's basket case. Unless someone foreign comes in to buy them I can't see how they will succeed while off the field is so wild.

51 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

Yep, I can't see a runaway winner this time, nor can I see anyone getting stranded at the bottom.  Going to be tight as hell this one.  Very early days, but I'd be leaning towards Arbroath for top spot - but I just haven't a scooby what sort of side ICT will be.  Alloa will definitely be in the promotion playoff mix.

We have put up a season review episode of the podcast to round up season 2023/24 - its a bit of a beefy one at 1 hour 45, but looks back month by month on the story of the season. There's also a look back on the shockingly bad predictions we made at the start of the season!

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

We are planning to do an episode once the retained/released players are confirmed looking at some potential transfer targets probably next week which should hopefully tie everyone over until the League Cup draw next Wednesday!

On 17/05/2024 at 17:15, Kevchenko said:

That's the bonus episode now up! 

Bobby Goals joins us to chat through his loan spell at the club. He talks through how the loan came about, Andy's training, his favourite moments with the Wasps, Big Sammo...and watching Wasp TV while away on Scotland duty.

https://waspsnest.buzzsprout.com

Terrific listen. Bobby comes across well.

On 20/05/2024 at 17:13, Vegetableman said:

Especially with the likes of Stirling and Edinburgh out of the division..weak outfits and struggling 

On 19/05/2024 at 12:59, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

We obviously had better options than Flannigan like Mark Millar and the young guys coming through eg Sibbald, McGrandles, Fulton, Alston etc but I thought he looked a decent player any time he made an appearance. Certainly head and shoulders above some of the absolute dross we had to endure under Hartley, McKinnon, Miller & McCracken, Holt, Sheerin & Rennie. 

The most technically gifted player I have ever seen at Alloa . Absolutely superb for us once he got himself fit.  Flannigan I am talking about.. great player 

All the Alloa squad news here, Cawley, Virtanen and Donnelly amongst those signed on again for next season, Coulson and Ogayi still discussing new deals, Robertson amongst those released.....................................Neil Parry returns as Goalkeeper coach. 

Squad Update - Alloa Athletic FC

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Craigy said:

All the Alloa squad news here, Cawley, Virtanen and Donnelly amongst those signed on again for next season, Coulson and Ogayi still discussing new deals, Robertson amongst those released.....................................Neil Parry returns as Goalkeeper coach. 

Squad Update - Alloa Athletic FC

Great to see Neil back home ater the ferguson debacle/ insult/  welcome back Neil . 

Sad to see Robbo go but kinda inevitable . we are well covered in midfield 

Deveney away too so Andy must have another left back lined up ?

Good to see cawley back , Surprised at luke donnelly i thought he might be away .

Edited by Vegetableman

Bit surprised to see LD back, I don't think all the running without the ball that Andy will suit him but he's a great player with the ball at his feet. 

Happy to see Miko and Devine back for next season, hopefully Devine can stay injury free and get a full season under his belt. Same for Cammy. Will be interesting if Andy keeps Cammy as a LB or if he gives him a go in his preferred position.

Hopefully be able to reach a deal with Big Phil. Will Parry still be registered as a player/coach or purely a coach? Would like to see Coulson again too.

Probably looking at left back, attacking midfield and striker to strengthen the squad.

Echo others about LD staying. Didnt expect him to stay on but Andy sees something different. We see quality at times just the fitness lacking. 

Great to see Neil Parry returning. A legend really and good to see him back at the club after his unhealthy departure by Ferguson. 

Sad to see Deveney leaving as I thought he was good when he was in the squad but injury halted that. Expected Andy to keep him in the first team so exciting to see a LB replacement. Also sad to see Robbo but half expected, a great squad player that we could of kept but when called upon this season gave his best and played well. 

Posted (edited)

I also thought LD might be away. Very talented footballer and potentially an excellent candidate for the number 10 role, just a few questions when he appeared there last season did his rather idiosyncratic style fit into what Andy was trying to do. If they can make it work then well worth holding onto. 

Happy with the other ones too. Miko really improved with games last season and can hopefully continue to develop as a player. Devine is similar, a good player who can still get better. Thought he was terrific off the bench against Accies in the 2nd leg of the play-offs. An injury free season could be the making of him and still capable of getting back full-time. 

I did wonder if Cammy might move on for a regular game in his best position but I'm happy he is staying. Challenge for him has to be trying to get into the midfield two or the three behind the striker. He has the talent. And he can cover LB when required. 

Always looked likely that some of the stalwarts would go. It's great Kev is staying, a terrific pro and influence and still capable of doing a job when required. Robbo showed this season when called upon that he could do that too. End of an era for a brilliant Alloa servant. Someone is going to get a really good signing there and hopefully he can stay fit and get a load of games in during the autumn of his career. All the best Robbo ♥️

Didn't comment on Sammo last week but that was good news. He also fits that description of great pro and very handy option. Killie fans always said he was best with tricky playmakers behind him rather than shelling high balls towards him and that was the case after Andy came in (think Taylor setting him at Motherwell and Bobby at Hamilton). He wouldn't start every week but a good man to have around. And that's the case with Neil Parry as well - fantastic to have him back at the club. 

Good luck to the others that are leaving too, hope they can kick on elsewhere. 

Really solid base there already. Just need a few more permanent additions and strong loans in the right areas and we'll be flying. Easy 😁

Edited by Waspie

Happy enough overall with the squad update.

The two I'd have question marks about are Devine and LD; both too injury-prone to retain IMO (but I said the same thing about Flanny when Jack Ross came and we all know how that worked out). Maybe Andy has plans to address those fitness issues and we will get full seasons out of them. Or maybe their deals include elements of play for pay.

I believe there was a contract there for Robbo if he wanted it, but it's clear his game time would be very limited barring a disastrous injury situation in midfield. At thirty-five I'm sure he'd much rather be playing regularly for the few years he has left. As others have said, he would be a very good signing for someone and he won't be short of offers. Good luck, Robbo - a class act and a great professional.

Kev is the same age, but I expect to see him start a reasonable amount and regularly contribute from the bench given his more attacking role.

Again, as others have said, left back and attack (even if Quinn signs) are the gaps. 

There are a few there I wouldn't have given new contracts to Donnelly, O'Donnell and Devine especially.

Don't care if Coulson or Phil leave to be honest, neither would be a particularly big loss.

Realise this will be unpopular there are a couple of players who Rice gave two year contracts to Neil and Hetherington, I wouldn't have bothered if they had stayed or gone  either.

That said I will get behind who ever is in the team next season and hopefully they can turn in performances to change my mind like Connor and Kurtis ❤️.

As for the players freed can't really complain. Sad to see John Robertson go a really good and steady player for us over the years.