The Alloa Athletic Thread

Just now, Waspie said:

Motherwell is a great shout. Terrific Alloa support and atmosphere and a great moment when Sammo tucked away the equaliser, an absolutely brilliant goal. Bit more luck with injuries and wee things at key times and the upset might have been on. 

Yeah I agree with that. After losing the early goal I feared the worse.....for about five minutes, when we settled and matched them all over the pitch.

Sammo's goal definitely a top moment, made even better as he and the rest of the team ran to the Alloa support to milk the celebration. Great stuff!

Terrific performance and a cracking game. Despite us losing I walked out of the stadium with my head held high.

On 03/06/2024 at 15:59, Waspie said:

Didn't have to dig too far in the end @Vegetablemanas David Allan's excellent wee book about Clackmannan FC has some good stuff on the Clackmannanshire Charity Cup. There were 15 senior clubs in the inaugural tournament in 1887/88 (including newly formed Alva FC and Alva Athletic) and a  "handsome trophy" was purchased. By 1889/90 there were only four senior sides left: Alloa, Clackmannan, Alva and Tillicoultry.

Alva's success came in 1893 when they beat the Wasps 5-0 in the final at the Recs (which wasn't Alloa's home at that point). Alva's last match was the 1895 final where Alloa beat them 2-1 at Chapelhill in Clackmannan. The book reports that their Glebe Park home was subsequently taken over by the new junior side Alva Albion Rangers, who would go on to dominate the local junior scene. 

The book also mentions older Alva sides called Vale of Devon and Alva Ochil Rangers - and that rugby had been the local sport of choice until 1883 when the players had changed to football under the banner of Alva Ochil Rangers. 

With only Alloa and Clackmannan left at senior level the trophy was handed over to the junior Clackmannanshire Charity Cup. Seems that the last winners were Coalsnaughton Utd in 1913. So we just need to get the trophy back from them and sort out an annual fixture against Sauchie..... 

My copy arrived today on your recommendation @Waspie. 👍

Also bought Bob Crampsey's history of the Scottish League (first 100 years) - have just started it and hooked already.

For top four games I'll go, in no order:

Falkirk 2 Alloa 2

Hamilton 3 Alloa 2

Cove 2 Alloa 3

Motherwell 3 Alloa 1

The reasons have already been articulated.

(I missed the Stirling 5-1 game.)

I'd go:

Motherwell 3-1 Alloa. Was a good atmosphere and one of the few away games I had a Saturday off for

Stirling 1-5 Alloa. For obvious reasons

Stirling 0-2 Alloa. Team hadn't been playing well for a few weeks before hand, was a nice game for Brian Rice to sign off with

Alloa 4-1 Cove

2 hours ago, Rory said:

Any update on Coulson or Super Phils contract talks?

...or any new signings for that matter?

Just seen the prices for the new season - £20 entry and £160 for a senior citizen season ticket in the third tier of Scottish Football is absolutely laughable.

Some people might think this is okay but for me the board need to take a look at themselves, that is not value for money.

Realise other clubs will have done exactly the same but that doesn't make it right. 

Had we been promoted to the Championship I could have seen the reason for an increase but this is just greed.  

I will probably get my season ticket this year, but getting to the stage if it gets anymore expensive I will seriously consider not going or picking and choosing my games. 

12 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Just seen the prices for the new season - £20 entry and £160 for a senior citizen season ticket in the third tier of Scottish Football is absolutely laughable ...

Senior citizen season ticket at £160 is the same at Palmerston for the coming season ...

default_file-1716556082.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Senior citizen season ticket at £160 is the same at Palmerston for the coming season ...

default_file-1716556082.jpeg

And it's been £160 for several seasons.

27 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Just seen the prices for the new season - £20 entry and £160 for a senior citizen season ticket in the third tier of Scottish Football is absolutely laughable.

Some people might think this is okay but for me the board need to take a look at themselves, that is not value for money.

Realise other clubs will have done exactly the same but that doesn't make it right. 

Had we been promoted to the Championship I could have seen the reason for an increase but this is just greed.  

I will probably get my season ticket this year, but getting to the stage if it gets anymore expensive I will seriously consider not going or picking and choosing my games. 

Less than £9 a game doesn't seem excessive to me for an OAP

52 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

What's seriously pissed me off is the qualifying age for a concession is sixty-six years of age (pretty sure it was sixty-five before) as I turn sixty-five in August. I was looking forward to paying the concessionary rate (was £10).

Appears the club have linked the change to bring it into line with the qualifying age for state pensions.

I've attended games at Alloa for over forty-eight years and I will be writing to the chairman about this. I won't be shelling out for a season ticket and will likely go to fewer games at £20 a pop. Very disappointed.

Edited by printer

1 hour ago, Magic Hat said:

season ticket is the way then , feel for anyone who can't afford that though £20 ! is a lot for some to just turn up , cue the moans from away fans too , if it means a league winning side i am all for it personally .

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Less than £9 a game doesn't seem excessive to me for an OAP

Agree, it isn't, taken in isolation and the gate price at £12 is still a decent discount from £20, but the hikes over last season are steep percentage wise across the board.

Adult and "senior citizen" season tickets are up 6.7% and 10.3% respectively (not accounting for the qualifying age change per my previous post). Admission prices increasing by 11.1% and 20% for the two categories.

ETA While the bee is in my bonnet, what is the PAP qualifying age at Palmerston for next season?

Edited by printer

Just now, LoganAAFC said:

I remember after Bobby's double at Cove , @C4mmy31mentioning the name of Zander Craik as a good youngster. Signing a new contract like Bobby did before joining us, could it be similar? 

could be , i am sure killie hold us in high regard for bringing on youngsters .

2 minutes ago, LoganAAFC said:

I remember after Bobby's double at Cove , @C4mmy31mentioning the name of Zander Craik as a good youngster. Signing a new contract like Bobby did before joining us, could it be similar? 

Not anywhere near the same level as Bobby Wales, watched him a couple of times last season and wasn't really impressed. Definitely think he would struggle at league 1 level.