The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Really? If you'd accepted he was off then you'd have netted your £250k and been in a position to replace him. Now as it is, you're getting around £50k more, he's by far your best CM and he's leaving you when you have literally no chance to replace him whilst stuck in a mire of a relegation battle.

It's hardly the greatest of deals for the club, is it?

We weren't expecting him to sign on in the summer. We got an extra 6 months out of him and he's single handedly gave us a fighting chance of staying up and we have got a decent fee for him.

Would rather keep him but it's out of our hands.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aberdeen gearing up for their title challenge with another solid reinforcement.

St Mirren abandoning their yearly great escape act, and gifting 10th place to a terrible Motherwell side. With whats left of season even Ross could overtake the Buddies now.

If St Mirren want to maximise the money they get for McLean today, the best thing they can do is bet it all on St Mirren finishing in the bottom two in May.

Totally gutted by this.

Somehow it feels worse it being Aberdeen than, say, Rotherham.

Noticed Strachan and McGhee were at Firhill on Friday, and thought "wonder if they'll at last call McLean in to a squad".

Looks like he'll be getting his first cap soon if he moves to Aberdeen.

Not happy!!!

Disappointing to lose him especially at this stage in the window. Here's hoping he had 5 pints whilst watching the superbowl and fails the medical!

Need to use that money to get some quality in but knowing St Mirren....

Great deal from Aberdeen any chance you can loan him back to May!

Oh and if there is no clause and we have let him go on the cheap in January, then it sums up why our board must go.

I'm hearing that it was £315k with a 7.5% sell on clasue, and I have about the same level of credibility.

Was just about to ask what AgentScotland's track record's like. He strikes me as a fantasist. And a moron.

The only way this makes sense is if there's a release clause, although would imagine that will mean no sell ons. Doesn't make it any easier to take but I suppose we've got an extra six months out of a player we all assumed was off in the summer. We've also avoided Craig being responsible for his replacement and Teale having to mutually consent that replacement's contract this month.

Sod all chance of any of the money being used to strengthen the squad today.

Perhaps it's case of banking in now because they have realised how piss-poor Motherwell are?

Nah if he keeps up this form till the summer we should be looking at double. Well most other Prem teams would be.

Doesn't sit right if there is no release clause.

Freeing up Kennys wages and 300k could get us 2-3 good players in.Knowing our luck we'd spunk it on a couple of Djemba-Djemba's

On a serious note, what's the financial situation at Saints like with regard to this takeover? Are the club still debt free and stable, or have things deteriorated in recent years? Are you likely to be able to use the money to replace McLean, or will it be going straight to the bank? You're still fairly strong in midfield (by bottom three standards), but this could be a big blow in terms of staying up.

We are solvent and debt free. We have a strict policy of living within our means - none of this speculate to accumulate shit. The problem is the BoD want out so are not prepared to put any kind of money into the Club. I am hoping the logic behind this deal is that we desperately require a larger squad. Our first eleven is pretty decent but we have absolutely nothing on the bench. With Thommo out we went Aug to Jan with no strikers. Hopefully this cash will get us a few bodies in today.

But I am absolutely gutted at the fee. McLean is in my opinion as good at Armstrong and the difference in fees is sickening.

Archived