Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

What's Archie Campbell like? Rumoured on dot net to be in talks with us

He's great if he's played off a striker that can hold the ball up. In our title pushing season he scored something like 14 goals in half a season before he got injured and missed the rest of the season. He's useless as a lone striker. He's very quick and plays on the shoulder of the last defender. He isn't great in front of goal that's something he has to work on.

I'd definitely like to keep him. I think he'll do great in this League if played alongside a tall/strong striker. He could easily get 20+ goals in this league if kept fit.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Campbell is from Dunfermline so if he signed for them it wouldn't be a huge surprise. As said above, if he's played as part of a front 2 with a big striker he is decent, if he's up top on his own he's not very good.

Archie scored 11 goals in an 8 match spell in the league last season. He's only scored 6 goals in his other 34 league starts, and 4 goals in his 43 sub appearances. Terrible first touch, dodgy second touch, inconsistent finishing, but very quick and feeds well off a target man.

I'm really not sure how he'll get on next season, whoever he's with. Maybe he'll spark back into life at a lower level, or maybe he simply isn't good enough to ever be consistent.

Derek Gaston has confirmed on twitter that he has signed a new 1 year deal, which is excellent news. He will surely be one of the better keepers in League 1 next season.

So we now have 5 players signed up, 2 of which are keepers!

I was on a goalkeeping course recently with Gaston. Seemed like a really down to earth guy who enjoyed being at Morton despite results not going your way last season.

I'd be delighted if McKay signed for us. Scoring goals was a huge problem for us last season and I'd be hopeful that he could address that. Also rumoured that we are signing Sean Crichton. From Elgin.

MacKay got offers from clubs in this division and championship. He would be better suited at Morton rather than a relegation fight in the championship.

Very very quick. Strong and can score goals. Will be a good signing for anyone who gets him

We've offered Andy Barrowman a contract. I've never been massively impressed with him in the Championship but I'd be happy to see us sign him now, if his record the last time he was at this level is anything to go by.

We've offered Andy Barrowman a contract. I've never been massively impressed with him in the Championship but I'd be happy to see us sign him now, if his record the last time he was at this level is anything to go by.

Barrowman would be a great signing. At this level, he would be a certainty to score a good few.

Just finished reading in the League 2 forum that you're hoping to sign Stefan McCluskey, who left Clyde at the end of the season. Playing the 'number ten' role in behind the striker is his best position and he scored and created plenty for us last year. Definitely one of our better players, but I'm not convinced that he'll do a job in League 1 if I'm being completely honest. He's quite a mercurial player and can make things happen on his day, but has a poor first touch and lacks composure in front of goal more often than not.

We've offered Andy Barrowman a contract.

League One probably his level. Never showed any sign of replicating his Ross County scoring exploits in his time at East End. I'm sure he'd get you a decent haul of goals.

Was talking to Stevie Mastetons dad earlier and he said Morton have been in touch regarding coming back from Juniors. Wouldn't read too much into it at the moment as he's concentrating on Junior Cup Final with Hurlford and they pay pretty well!!!

Was talking to Stevie Mastetons dad earlier and he said Morton have been in touch regarding coming back from Juniors. Wouldn't read too much into it at the moment as he's concentrating on Junior Cup Final with Hurlford and they pay pretty well!!!

:lol:

If Masterton came back then I think we'd all finally know for sure that Dougie Rae has just been trolling us all along.

Right, I have been somewhat hyperbolic in my reaction to Duffy so far, but if he genuinely signs Stevie fucking Masterton I'm going down to protest at training with effigies of Duffy, Rae and Masterton to burn.

What next, Dean Keenan and Adam Coakley? :lol:

Right, I have been somewhat hyperbolic in my reaction to Duffy so far, but if he genuinely signs Stevie fucking Masterton I'm going down to protest at training with effigies of Duffy, Rae and Masterton to burn.

What next, Dean Keenan and Adam Coakley? :lol:

I watched Hurlford recently and no way is Stevie Masterton a League 1 player these days.

Duffy is in talk with 6 new signings, one of which was named as Annan's Kenny McKay. Nothing to report yet, he's saying once again that players are not willing to commit quite yet as most wants championship gigs to play against Hearts, Hibs and Rangers.

Unless they get offered the big money at EEP.

If true duffy trying to sign mckay and barrowman .then really dont see where mccluskey would fit in ,he really isn't the type to sit on bench , and would spit the dummy , just as he did at start of season at clyde.the boy believes he is better than his ability suggests ,decent but not ready to step up another season at clyde would have been beneficial to him and clyde

Archived