Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-season game at home to Rotherham, 12th of July, confirmed on the Rotherham website.

I'll definitely pop along to that, chance to see newly promoted Championship team who looked pretty useful in play off final. I see they've signed Matt Derbyshire, who played in Premier League with Blackburn

Just hope Duffy has signed up close to a full squad by then, should be good test.

Fully expect him to do a Scott McLaughlin and play a blinder against you ;) what position does he play?

Left back. But he's really shite.

Fully expect him now to play a blinder against us scoring a hat trick in each game.

Fully expect him to do a Scott McLaughlin and play a blinder against you ;) what position does he play?

Left back. He improved a bit in the season went on, but very limited in ability and incredibly slow.

Duffy is refusing to rule out (or rule in) a move for Stefan McCluskey, who played under him at Clyde. From what I can find out, he played either wide right or behind the striker, and scored 13 goals last season. Sounds decent enough to me.

I'm not sure why someone who scored 13 goals in a complete pub league should be upgraded to a decent signing target - the dross we are being linked with is now seriously disturbing.

I'm not sure why someone who scored 13 goals in a complete pub league should be upgraded to a decent signing target - the dross we are being linked with is now seriously disturbing.

McCluskey's a pretty handy wee player and I'm sure that both he and Kieron MacDonald (who also left Clyde a couple of weeks ago) would be good signings for Morton. I appreciate your concern but just because a player has been recruited from the division below doesn't automatically make him a poor recruit.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that we sign every single player from League 2, but I don't see why we can't sign the decent ones up. He scored 13 goals from midfield, a good record by anyone's standards, he's fairly young at 23 so could potentially go further in the game, or he'll turn out to be a diddy and we won't have lost out on much by signing him.

Not that the above will mean anything to you, who sees only the negativity in life it seems. Lighten up man :)

Edit - yon Stenny fan above kens the score.

Feel free to compare and contrast our signing targets with those Dunfermline have already snapped up - only one club is taking next season's title push seriously, the other has pretty much settled for complete and utter mediocrity.

Which is to be expected when bringing in a manager and potentially the players of a club that finished mid-table in the bottom tier.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that we sign every single player from League 2, but I don't see why we can't sign the decent ones up.

Because we have a clown of a manger identifying signing targets, because we're now offering effectively part-time wages for a full-time contract. Both of which make the idea that our current efforts involve bringing in talent rather than cheap options untested at this level entirely unconvincing.

And in case you weren't paying attention, bringing in untested cheap options has worked a real treat over the past twelve months.

Feel free to compare and contrast our signing targets with those Dunfermline have already snapped up - only one club is taking next season's title push seriously, the other has pretty much settled for complete and utter mediocrity.

Which is to be expected when bringing in a manager and potentially the players of a club that finished mid-table in the bottom tier.

In that context, you're pretty bang on - if I was a Morton supporter, I'd be looking on at dismay at the quality of Dunfermline's business and the briskness in which it's been done (although something does stick in the craw about the fact the club will be running at a loss this season). Couple that to an underwhelming managerial appointment and you're probably right to a be wary.

I still believe that McCluskey and MacDonald will be good signings for most teams in the division though.

I still believe that McCluskey and MacDonald will be good signings for most teams in the division though.

That's quite a telling statement. When you're one of the two full-time teams in the division and looking to push for top spot, you're not going to be happy with a player that would be a good signing for most teams - you want the players that would stand out for most teams and be a good signing for any team.

The way I see it he'd be a Morton player by now if Duffy saw him as a first choice signing, but if other targets turn us down he'll probably join us at a later point.

Archived