Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how opposition fans suddenly care so much about our former creditors.

Amazing how little Dunfermline fans care about former creditors, including registered charities.

The spiv mentality lives on at EEP, running at a loss despite having a credit rating simliar to that of your average Jeremy Kyle guest.

You are doomed I tell thee......

ETA - Since this is a Morton thread, had wee Dougie shown his hand yet? Assuming you remain full time, will he take a Dunfy style gamble on getting out the league?

Amazing how little Dunfermline fans care about former creditors, including registered charities.

The spiv mentality lives on at EEP, running at a loss despite having a credit rating simliar to that of your average Jeremy Kyle guest.

You are doomed I tell thee......

ETA - Since this is a Morton thread, had wee Dougie shown his hand yet? Assuming you remain full time, will he take a Dunfy style gamble on getting out the league?

Not if the names that are being talked of is anything to go by. We're here to stay.

Rae hasn't got a clue and has more than likely chucked it in any meaningful way. Which is still the only rational explanation for appointing 'shoestring' ""success"" Duffy to bring in no-marks for a mid-table campaign. Particularly given he applied and was rightly deemed too crap (even by our standards) for the same post back in 2008.

Much like last summer's disastrous restructuring vision, this plan will backfire spectacularly, as fans will simply not show up in any meaningful number to watch a Rae/Duffy trollathon slug it out against, say, Forfar at home come November.

Rae hasn't got a clue and has more than likely chucked it in any meaningful way. Which is still the only rational explanation for appointing 'shoestring' ""success"" Duffy to bring in no-marks for a mid-table campaign. Particularly given he applied and was rightly deemed too crap (even by our standards) for the same post back in 2008.

Much like last summer's disastrous restructuring vision, this plan will backfire spectacularly, as fans will simply not show up in any meaningful number to watch a Rae/Duffy trollathon slug it out against, say, Forfar at home come November.

This will be bookmarked .

I have a sneaking suspicion that Duffy will prove you all wrong . If so we will await your grovelling apology.

I would be content if he does but between the piss-poor, joke signing targets (indicative of the chairman's ridiculous offer of part-time wages for full-time football, as was the managerial appointment in the first place) and Duffy's inevitable crap management, there is no basis for optimism.

Unless this level has descended into spectacular, hernia-inducing levels of utter shit.

Nope, we've heard that contracts have been offered to Gaston, O'Ware (who've now signed), Taggart, Imrie and Campbell plus several youngsters, but nothing to say the others have definitely been released. The Greenock Telegraph said it was 'unlikely' the rest would be offered deals but nothing official there.

We're taking it as a given that the rest are away as the club would never think to announce it, being an incompetent shambles. All we know for sure, as he said it himself, is that Mark Fitzpatrick is definitely leaving because he wants to go part-time. Good riddance.

Craig McPherson has finally been announced as Assistant Manager.

http://morton.nsdesign4.net/News/&action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=1202?

Happy to get things tied up with Hagi, as the longer it dragged out, the more it looked likely that it wasn't going to happen.

Management team is now in place, how about signing some players now?

Happy to get things tied up with Hagi, as the longer it dragged out, the more it looked likely that it wasn't going to happen.

Management team is now in place, how about signing some players now?

At this stage last year we had 10 players signed and dates for pre-season games with Rotherham, Sheffield Utd, St Johnstone and the Renfrewshire Cup semi and final. It's worrying the lack of urgency around the club just now.

As I've said on the Morton forum, the feeling I have is we want to build a squad to challenge in the Championship instead of getting a squad together to get out of League 1. That may backfire big time imo.

At this stage last year we had 10 players signed and dates for pre-season games with Rotherham, Sheffield Utd, St Johnstone and the Renfrewshire Cup semi and final. It's worrying the lack of urgency around the club just now.

As I've said on the Morton forum, the feeling I have is we want to build a squad to challenge in the Championship instead of getting a squad together to get out of League 1. That may backfire big time imo.

Ah, the Jim McInally excuse. 'This squad isn't just to get us out this league, it'll compete in the First Division too.' Yeah, okay. Kind of useless having a squad capable of challenging in a league above when you're incapable of winning promotion from the one you're in. Then when he did get us promoted at the third attempt, the majority of players were found to be woefully inadequate.

I don't see any reason so far to believe that's Duffy's intention though, he'll just put together the best squad he can. Now the dust has settled somewhat from the reaction to his appointment, we have to judge him on what he does now. I've little confidence in us having a squad capable of competing with Dunfermline but keeping Gaston and O'Ware is a good start. While it would be nice to hear about new signings soon, at the same time we don't want to see any unnecessary Jonathan Page style panic buys.

I'm not in a huge rush for players, in the past we've had to wait on the signings of the likes of imrie and MacDonald. You often have to wait a while for the good players to not get other offers. Sometimes clubs get panicked into making early signings and you end up settling for players like Page. Signing players for the sake of it won't get us very far.

Ah, the Jim McInally excuse. 'This squad isn't just to get us out this league, it'll compete in the First Division too.' Yeah, okay. Kind of useless having a squad capable of challenging in a league above when you're incapable of winning promotion from the one you're in. Then when he did get us promoted at the third attempt, the majority of players were found to be woefully inadequate.

I don't see any reason so far to believe that's Duffy's intention though, he'll just put together the best squad he can. Now the dust has settled somewhat from the reaction to his appointment, we have to judge him on what he does now. I've little confidence in us having a squad capable of competing with Dunfermline but keeping Gaston and O'Ware is a good start. While it would be nice to hear about new signings soon, at the same time we don't want to see any unnecessary Jonathan Page style panic buys.

I think you've picked me up wrong there. I'm not for building a team to compete in the Championship, far from it.

Obviously Duffy would like to sign players that are Championship level, that goes without saying. I've no idea who the 5 players are he has targeted that are waiting to hear from Champonship teams, the problem I have is how long is he prepared to wait on an answer from them. Meanwhile the other League 1 teams have targeted more realistic options and have acted quickly to secure them.

I'm not full of confidence either for the squad Duffy will sign, but the longer he waits on players will probably increase the chances of Page style panic buys.

I'm not in a huge rush for players, in the past we've had to wait on the signings of the likes of imrie and MacDonald. You often have to wait a while for the good players to not get other offers. Sometimes clubs get panicked into making early signings and you end up settling for players like Page. Signing players for the sake of it won't get us very far.

I'd agree with that if we were still a Championship team. I think it's now different being in a part-time league. Matching players salaries with those on offer at Raith and Livi might work when we're in the Championship, but while we're in League 1 it probably won't.

I think you've picked me up wrong there. I'm not for building a team to compete in the Championship, far from it.

Obviously Duffy would like to sign players that are Championship level, that goes without saying. I've no idea who the 5 players are he has targeted that are waiting to hear from Champonship teams, the problem I have is how long is he prepared to wait on an answer from them. Meanwhile the other League 1 teams have targeted more realistic options and have acted quickly to secure them.

I'm not full of confidence either for the squad Duffy will sign, but the longer he waits on players will probably increase the chances of Page style panic buys.

Ahh I've got you now, sorry. Fair point.

I'd agree with that if we were still a Championship team. I think it's now different being in a part-time league. Matching players salaries with those on offer at Raith and Livi might work when we're in the Championship, but while we're in League 1 it probably won't.

In recent seasons players like MacDonald, Reid, Imrie, Rutkiewicz, and Hardie were all July signings. I don't think it matters that we've dropped down a league - the same still applies, you have to be patient for most of the best signings. Of course you also have to be realistic, the season we waited around too long for players like Sutton and Mensing cost us, but it's the same game every year - you have to find the right balance between being patient and being realistic. Duffy probably has an idea of who might sign for us right now, but he might also know that such players won't take us very far. TBH I'm not seeing players signing for other clubs and thinking that we've missed the boat on that one. There's a long list of players who will want to continue a full-time career or take the chance to go full-time, in the end many of them will see us as their best (or only) option.

It's always the same down at this level. Players hang fire until about end of June/start of July to decide what they are doing. What's different this year is the incentive of Hearts, Hibs and Them in the Championship which may result in players taking a bit longer to decide as they hope for a contract with a Championship team!

Archived