Aberdeen v Motherwell - 11th May

Look Aberdeen fans - that was a sore one to take - but you all and your Manager have short memories. The foul by Russell Anderson earlier this season cost us 2 points. Iain Brines phantom penalty v St Mirren cost us 3 points.

What comes around goes around. It WAS a foul on Langfield. Even then Vernon had a grab of Hutchisons collar before Langfield was fouled.

There was not much between the Dons, United and ourselves. Well United had our measure, but it was our doggidness that saw us over the line.

I expect the same 3 teams to be competing for top 4/5 next year.

Regarding the decision that went in our favor, two wrongs don't make a right and had Anderson's goal not stood we would have been going into today's game needing a win rather than a draw - it all changes. There is also Pawlett's one-on-one which was incorrectly ruled offside.

Not that I take anything away from Motherwell, their points tally is incredible all things considered.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the decision that went in our favor, two wrongs don't make a right and had Anderson's goal not stood we would have been going into today's game needing a win rather than a draw - it all changes. There is also Pawlett's one-on-one which was incorrectly ruled offside.

Not that I take anything away from Motherwell, their points tally is incredible all things considered.

I've seen folk chatting about pawlett's one on one, but Lasley getting flagged off when ainsworth was in during the worst half? I thought Lionel was on. Reynolds getting a foul when McFadden breathed on him looked a bit soft too..

In short, a poor refereeing performance.

Ainsworth was off too, I thought he'd managed to stay onside but the replays have him off.

That's me told then. Looking forward to actually seeing our goal in the highlights, after losing my shit altogether today.

Well I am delighted I went up to pittodrie today.

The fact it was a foul makes it even better, glorious SCENES!

That and Gary Mac was out side and delighted anaw

post-19064-0-99617000-1399843503_thumb.j

In all the games we've lost this season, we've been bullied by the other team. It was the same today and in the SC semi, the opposition put in a few hard tackles and the 'flair players' start to hide.

Someone who can counter this is desperately needed for next season, as well as a winger so that we never see Barry Robson playing out wide ever again.

Sounds like Aberdeen need a Goodwin

Considering the budget Aberdeen have got, I think it's fair to say finishing 3rd in the league is nothing short than a failure of a season for them

Considering the budget Aberdeen have got, I think it's fair to say finishing 3rd in the league is nothing short than a failure of a season for them

And holding out for another 30 seconds would have made the season a rousing success, right?

Being reasonable (just for a minute, I'll be back to a gloating tosser shortly) but Aberdeen and Dundee Utd at their best would beat us at our best every time. The only reason we came 2nd is because we turned our best on more often over the season. We only lost to teams in the bottom six twice and one was because of a divot in injury time and the other was because Iain Brines gave a penalty against us for a defender heading it clear. This Motherwell team this year is a gutsy, stubborn bunch. Not in anyway eye-catching but very functional. Aberdeen's 8 points dropped to Hearts, 3 lost to Ross County as well as a plethora of draws against teams they are better than plus losing our head to head 7-4 is why they struggled.

This in spades, but I think it's not generous enough to Well.

I saw Aberdeen dominate Well twice at home this season, but come away with feck-all! Dominating play is ultimately not what is important. Getting wins is, and Well have shown Aberdeen how to do a job. We may bitch and moan, but over the course of the season Well were worthy of second place. You can call it doughty or streetwise if you wish, but they didn't get 70 points by accident. They earnt them!

I am gutted, but looking back, would I have taken 3rd and a cup? You bet your ass I would. Good luck to Well, and I only hope we have an even better season than this one next year.

Yours

aDONis

And holding out for another 30 seconds would have made the season a rousing success, right?

Nope, but finishing 2nd should have been the minimum expected of Aberdeen this season.

Losing in the semi final against St.Johnston is another failure.

Essentially McInness won manager of the year for scraping past a poor ICT team with a poor manager on penalties

I like how Billy Dodds claimed that Langfield had an easy catch if he "hadn't been fouled", did he not watch the league cup final where he completely misjudged a high ball with no player within 5 yards of him? Not as if it's not a regular occurrence with "Clangers".

Jeez

Considering where Aberdeen have come from, their performances over the previous FOUR SEASONS and the longest run without a trophy since WW2 being ended and although I appreciate the disappointment today they really should be thanking the Fitba Gods for the season just ended. The fans of all the non-OF fans would sell their souls for a cup win and 3rd and the fact is that there is nothing to suggest that next season won't be closer to more of the same rather than the dross of the previous 4 years...is there? Plus Europe!

The suggestion that it is acceptable and no more than that stinks of horrible OFness...

Exactly. The seasons success or failure was not dictated by a last minute smash and grab. We have had a terrific year with improved attendances and a new pride brought back to the club.

As a Don that saw us through the Fergie years, I had never been so proud as when we turned Glasgow red for the LC final. The memories of that weekend will last forever, and I doubt I'll e ever see anything like it again.

Oh and a final word for the Well fans that travelled up today. TERRIFIC! Result may have left a bitter taste for me, but it must have been great for those that made such an effort. I would love to see such numbers and enthusiasm more often at Pittodrie, so well done.

Yours

aDONis

Look Aberdeen fans - that was a sore one to take - but you all and your Manager have short memories. The foul by Russell Anderson earlier this season cost us 2 points. Iain Brines phantom penalty v St Mirren cost us 3 points.

What comes around goes around. It WAS a foul on Langfield. Even then Vernon had a grab of Hutchisons collar before Langfield was fouled.

There was not much between the Dons, United and ourselves. Well United had our measure, but it was our doggidness that saw us over the line.

I expect the same 3 teams to be competing for top 4/5 next year.

What comes around goes around indeed!

Well done Motherwell, good result.

Can't wait to see how Pawlett gets on at Dens Park next season.

Oh and a final word for the Well fans that travelled up today. TERRIFIC! Result may have left a bitter taste for me, but it must have been great for those that made such an effort. I would love to see such numbers and enthusiasm more often at Pittodrie, so well done.

Yours

aDONis

Cheers. The drummer gets a bit of abuse but he does well.

Never seen our fans go so daft in a long time (and you watch it on TV, you'll see some fans were playing today, that's (part of) our secret)

We would come up in numbers more often. But what puts me off is getting soaked in May in a gale. Aberdeen in May :thumbsdown

You can console yourselves in that you will get to pump a Euro diddy in Round 1 and if you get over 10,000 you will not have lost out financially on 2nd place.

No booking for Reynolds clearing the ball off the line with his arm a week after Saint's Anderson gets booked for trying to do exactly the same thing v Motherwell. Refereeing consistency. Who needs it.

From an Aberdeen perspective - it would be crazy to continue the (normal football supporter) overreaction to today and let it sour a good season. Right now if someone offered me a league cup win and europe from next season, I'd offer them a sook job. The league is going to be the same or weaker next season and Aberdeen will have a static budget and so will be favourites to get 2nd next season as they were this year. Both Aberdeen and 'Well will have something that every club would love which is stability from a position of strength - so once today is out of the system, I think more folk will be happy.

After seeing the highlights, it reminded me of how mental Faddy went at full time today. He's cut a frustrated figure a lot of the time this season as he's physically not been up to the rigours of a full campaign - but it was brilliant to see a flashback to the young boy that was here first time round. I hope (whether he's with us or not) that he gets a good pre-season and has a better year next time...

Archived