Aberdeen v Motherwell - 11th May

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen that dons fans have only got to celebrate 20 goals at pittodrie this season, thats woeful

Our home form and your home form has been the real difference between the teams this season. We really can't break down shitfesters at Pittodrie whereas you've broke down those at Fir Park.

We look absolutely done and seem to be running on empty and sadly I just don't think we've got the sort of big performance required to win this left in in us.

Ye have little faith! That one game summed up Motherwell's entire season. We weren't brilliant or flashy but we hung on in there, we fought, kicked, pulled, scratched and forearm smashed our way to grind out yet another victory. Words can't describe the absolute scenes in the away end when we bundled that goal in. Incredible.

McCall got his tactics spot on. To open up would have been suicide as it would have played into Aberdeen's hands with the pace of Pawlett, McGinn, Hayes etc. Aberdeen are like us last season, great on the counter but not so good against packed defences and for all their possession they didn't really force Hollis into doing much at all. McCall knew we only needed one goal and if we were still in it with 20 to go we could then throw caution to the wind and go for it. Didn't really create a great deal mind but we defended well and watching the game I always felt we'd get one chance. When only a 1 minute went up and we got the free kick it was now or never. Was it foul? Aye, but so was Russell Anderson's on Jack Leitch that led to the Dons equalizer before he punched the ball in the net at Fir Park a few months back so swings and roundabouts eh?

Honestly thought we'd blown it when it hit the bar and was certain Kerr's shot was blocked by a hand and time genuinely seemed to stand still before we somehow bundled the ball into the net and then it was utter bedlam. As above I wasn't sure who'd scored until well after full time. Great scenes from the players and fans alike and it was a relief to hear the final whistle go almost instantly after they kicked off. Was a great bounce post match as well in the away end, shame the Aberdeen fans all fucked off after the goal and never stayed to allow their team who delivered their first cup in years and a 3rd place finish a much deserved lap of honour.

Thought we defended well, Hutchinson made two immense last ditch tackles to keep us in it and Reid outside of scoring done an excellent job on Pawlett who hardly had a sniff all afternoon. Don't think anyone else had their best game in a Motherwell shirt but they fought like f**k and got their reward at the end.

What a day and what an unbelievable achievement, 70 fucking points! Motherwell, never thought I'd see us hit that mark. To finish best of the rest three years running and to finish 2nd twice on the trot is some going, to do it by scoring more goals and collating more points than we did last season given the players we lost is incredible.

Well done to McCall and the team, a fantastic end to a fantastic season.

Just in from the game - and that was one of the best jumps in the last 30 odd years of going to games - it was mental as it just didn't look like coming.

The bottom line is that we took 10/15 points post split - we were 4 points behind the dons with 3 to go and we took 9 out of 9 - that is some effort in the top 6 and it put the pressure on Aberdeen when they should have been home and dry. 22 wins and to break the 70 points barrier will never be beaten for us - it must be an all-time record.

Aberdeen fans that were only at the Pittodrie games will think we are some sort of disciplined defensive team - an impression that no-one else in the league would share (and our goals for and against column is ridiculous). We looked fairly comfortable, except for the 2 times that Hutchy (MOTM for me today) had to save us with a last ditch tackle. Aberdeen have had a good season by being largely very solid and they don't share Utd's ability to rip us to shreds and they didn't really get going today. I thought we were fucking woeful as an attacking team today - but we can't complain.

I actually felt slightly guilty that Pittodrie emptied in about 15 secs - as one of the police told me that they had a big celebration planned for after the final whistle (cheeky bastart told me he was happy to be in the 'Well end as he'd get finished sooner! :) ). Aberdeen have had a fine season - but they haven't won enough games since the league cup final - but it was never picked up on in the media. Well support was brilliant in numbers and noise and the celebrations with the players at the end were top notch - quite enjoyed the drum ;)

Top diddy team 3 years in a row is scarcely believable - yet when the predictions start for next season, we'll be picked as 4th or 5th again as the overachievement must end at some point.

The 13/14 'Well team have lived in the shadow of the team from last season - but today put them on the map big style.

Lack of cutting edge has been a problem, I think we only had one shot on target today and a misplaced cross hit the post.

Yep a season of abject failure. Whereas we had a big party today and look forward to making profits, bringing in more players and generally enjoying our day.

Are you WELL?

Yep a season of abject failure. Whereas we had a big party today and look forward to making profits, bringing in more players and generally enjoying our day.

Are you WELL?

Enjoying your party so much you're on here trying to get bites. It's almost as if it's a hollow victory?

Didn;t St Johnstone fans warn that McInnes is too cautious?

He never seemed capable of putting out a side that wasn't one dimensional. His teams either attacked and were susceptible to teams on the counter, or they defended and struggled to create chances. He'd always have a well drilled side who were solid though, so the tactical weaknesses weren't as obvious. It wouldn't surprise me if next season Aberdeen were one of the most negative sides in the league as he'll likely spend the Summer lamenting being caught on the counter so much, much like he did in the Summer of 2010

Enjoying your party so much you're on here trying to get bites. It's almost as if it's a hollow victory?

I'm naw looking for bites. Just laughing at Standy really. I know he's used to it but still

Yea watching the game I thought that Motherwell played more like Aberdeen than Motherwell. Hard to break down and going for the counter. McCall's plan seemed pretty simple: don't let Aberdeen play counter attacking pacey football and soak up the pressure at the back until the last 20 minutes, then go for it. The thing that was obvious though was that Motherwell really struggled to break down Aberdeen once they started attacking! Every pass seemed to get intercepted as soon as a bit of momentum got going.

Definitely not the Motherwell side I've seen recently. What I've seen is a ridiculous aggressive side that bombs forward leaving massive holes in it's defence leading to some of the most hysterical games I've seen. I think the last game in Paisley summed up the way they play tbh.

Well done Motherwell great achievement on finishing 2nd. Few decisions went against us but that is football. Its been a great season and if someone said to me you would finish 3rd and be gutted on the last day I would have laughed considering the sh**te I've watched for years.

:lol: You're no better. just because you beat us a couple of times but now you're all back to mutual congrats and aw that. McInnes is a joke of a manager and your club have signed puddings who couldn't get a game for their last clubs

Except for Zola :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: You're no better. just because you beat us a couple of times but now you're all back to mutual congrats and aw that. McInnes is a joke of a manager and your club have signed puddings who couldn't get a game for their last clubs

Season was ruined by your team type of post imo

9 posts and knows who everyone is??

Gutting way to lose a game but it was not a mistake by the referee (as outrageous as it was) that cost us 2nd but the fact we only won 3 of our last 11 games. Been poor since league cup final and drawn to many games.

Archived