The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yet when we try and do exactly the same regarding Lewis Ferguson, Aberdeen fans lose their shit.

No they didn’t, they just laughed at the ridiculous fee suggested as we assumed it was a joke.

Ball is good cover for Devlin and Gleeson so in that regard we can't complain too much.

He is poor cover for Logan but we'll have other options for that as long as its not (like Hampden) 4 or 5 players missing at same time.

I'm happy with Ball signing, although I have a bad feeling that he will be temporarily played at right-back to cover Logan's upcoming suspension. 

I don’t believe McInnes will go from bidding 6 figures for the County right back to Dom Ball at right back, completely illogical and out of sync as to what he’s said previously.

8 hours ago, Rodhull said:

No they didn’t, they just laughed at the ridiculous fee suggested as we assumed it was a joke.

As English clubs will do when they see £10m quoted for someone who's had a good half season in Scottish football. 

Yet when we try and do exactly the same regarding Lewis Ferguson, Aberdeen fans lose their shit.

Think you may be a bit sensitive on that.

My reaction was 1) that seems ridiculous but 2) of the club have pushed on with signing him without knowing such a heavy fee was attached then they’ve fucked up monumentally.

Also transfer fees and development fees are quite different in terms of how they’re negotiated. We’re entitled to ask for £200m for McKenna if we really wanted to.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

As English clubs will do when they see £10m quoted for someone who's had a good half season in Scottish football. 

Hmmm.

I see what you're doing there, but given that McKenna in that 'good half season' has already captained Scotland and pretty much (barring a disastrous run of form) cemented his place in the international side, and given that good centre-halfs are like hen's teeth, and given that central defenders improve with age and given that he's only 21, and given that such a fine centre half as Alex McLeish sees his talent, and given that English clubs are already circling around looking for a bargain.....

Well, given all that I think £10 million is a fairly reasonable price to ask in all honesty.

Actually, when I read my post back I've decided that we should be asking at least 15 million.

16 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hmmm.

I see what you're doing there, but given that McKenna in that 'good half season' has already captained Scotland and pretty much (barring a disastrous run of form) cemented his place in the international side, and given that good centre-halfs are like hen's teeth, and given that central defenders improve with age and given that he's only 21, and given that such a fine centre half as Alex McLeish sees his talent, and given that English clubs are already circling around looking for a bargain.....

Well, given all that I think £10 million is a fairly reasonable price to ask in all honesty.

Actually, when I read my post back I've decided that we should be asking at least 15 million.

And Lewis Ferguson was a regular top flight CM by the age of 18, is a regular in every youth Scotland squad below the 21s and is highly rated by the same club who developed McArthur and McCarthy. 

If English clubs are spending £10m, it won't be on a Scottish CH. And you'll find either McKenna has had a six month purple patch and you're missing your chance to capatilise on that, or he'll grow unhappy and eventually force a move. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And Lewis Ferguson was a regular top flight CM by the age of 18, is a regular in every youth Scotland squad below the 21s and is highly rated by the same club who developed McArthur and McCarthy. 

If English clubs are spending £10m, it won't be on a Scottish CH. And you'll find either McKenna has had a six month purple patch and you're missing your chance to capatilise on that, or he'll grow unhappy and eventually force a move. 

I agree.

I'm sure all that will happen because one anonymous poster on the internet said it will.

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Difference being that if Aberdeen find Hamiltons valuation laughable it will go a tribunal which will be significantly less than 800 grand. Two totally different situations really.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Don't think anyone expects us to actually get £10m for him.

What's the problem with us trying to maximise our fee?  Similarly I have no problem with Hamilton trying to maximise the Ferguson deal despite it being covered under a different rule structure.  The same way I don't have a problem with the buying side giving low offers, this is how it works.  Sellers try to maximise, buyers try to minimise fees.

Truth is football fans seem to get very upset about this based on how good or not they think a player is when in actual fact their ability is just one of many factors.  If they offer £2m, we say £10m and we end up with £4-5m then happy days.  Job done.

Big difference in paying training compensation for a player and a transfer fee. 

In terms of McKenna, is £10 million really that much to a top English team in todays transfer market?? That said I dont think we would actually hold out for that much. Anything around the £5 million mark and he would be gone I reckon. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Swansea are Welsh so if that means they’ll pay it thats fine by me.

*I don’t think any club is going to pay £10 million for Mckenna.

McKenna has 5 years on his contract. Ferguson was out of contract. In terms of calling a bluff, we're probably in the better situation.

Rooney though, jeez. Love the guy. Hero forever. All the best, and hopefully the fee brought in can help us really push on. LOTS of pressure on the new striker when he comes.