The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I expect Ball will sign for us full time. I would be surprised if we managed to get Lowe back. I would imagine we would have a lot of wages to play with if GMS, Shinnie and Reynolds (who I reckon is a sneaky higher earner) are gone. I think the paramount consideration for the free wages has to be a centre mid we can depend on to play with Ferguson. The rest we can have a few swings at and see what sticks. No one immediately springs to for said wages. I'm just plucking a name out of the air as an example here and I think he may have already signed with Kilmarnock but my worry is we sign someone like a 32 year old Craig Bryson and pay him a fortune to only be fit enough to play half our games. I sometimes think people are a bit harsh on our recruitment, the turnover of players at clubs like ours is so frequent that there are bound to be stinkers in there but then we get Cosgrove who is second top scorer in the league for peanuts, we get Ferguson who looks like we could sell for more than we spent, shinnie has been brilliant etc. It's easier to point at the calamitous mistakes than give credit to the good signings. Take Stevie May for example, I was delighted when we signed him as was every other fan I would imagine, sometimes the obvious good signing just doesn't work, I know its their jobs to get these things right but they don't have a crystal ball to get everything spot on. 

What is concerning is that over the last 4/5 years a lot of our best signings have been shamelessly stealing the best players from Caley or Hamilton etc something we have done more effectively than the Edinburgh two. I worry Rangers finally asserting themselves back above us may render this tougher and they become more prominent in doing this rather than signing players with better sounding names or reputations. Hastie moving to ibrox an example

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

The attendance on Saturday looked pitiful.

It was given as over 15K, but looked like there were no more than 8K in the home stands.

Are people just fed up with us losing to Celtic................or was it the circumstances around this particular match?   I've seen seasons before where the battle for European qualification meant there was some post-split excitement, and decent crowds. 

Kilmarnock certainly seemed to enjoy their late winner at the weekend - maybe more novelty factor for them?

Pretty much

Horrendously shit record against Celtic + lack of desire to see them win the title on our patch + lack of novelty in chasing Europe 

Its just changed days

Remember the carnage and celebrations  in town after we beat old rangers to finish 3rd in 2007

Simpler times :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Remember the carnage and celebrations  in town after we beat old rangers to finish 3rd in 2007

Simpler times :lol: 

As someone said earlier - in a messed up way, it's to Derek McInnes' credit that he's rendered this nothing much to get excited about any more - but it doesn't do a lot for the matchday experience.

Even in 2005, when we lost out to Hibs, when them and and the  former rangers did a W.Germany v Austria 82 for the second half on 'helicopter Sunday', there was almost a full house to see us beat Hearts.

McInnes has a shelf life clearly, but the nonsense online and at games is ridiculous.

I get absolutely drained debating McInnes with close mates. I don’t think he walks on water but I fail to understand the unmitigated anger towards him given the last few years.

I'm just about ok with McInnes being in for the long haul but if I was on the Board I'd be making some serious comments about his poor recruitment the last two years

18 minutes ago, d31 said:

I'm just about ok with McInnes being in for the long haul but if I was on the Board I'd be making some serious comments about his poor recruitment the last two years

I don’t really get that. The guys McInnes misses on are never really on long contracts outwith May so we get out of them then swing again. Some hit like Max Lowe and Cosgrove, some miss. That’s what clubs like Aberdeen have to do and I don’t understand which manager would do a lot better 

14 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I don’t really get that. The guys McInnes misses on are never really on long contracts outwith May so we get out of them then swing again. Some hit like Max Lowe and Cosgrove, some miss. That’s what clubs like Aberdeen have to do and I don’t understand which manager would do a lot better 

We seem to chase the same target all summer when it's clear to everyone that they're never going to sign. When they pitch up elsewhere we end up making a total panic signing who ends up being shite.

For all the negativity about McIness which I think is unjustified, there’s an almost equal amount of over rating of Cosgrove. 

Is there?

I think it’s very evident that cosgrove is not and will never be a wonderful footballer. His goal tally this season is great but I suspect he won’t come close to it next season.

He is what he is and IMO should be a backup striker next season if we get recruitment right.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

McInnes has a shelf life clearly, but the nonsense online and at games is ridiculous.

I get absolutely drained debating McInnes with close mates. I don’t think he walks on water but I fail to understand the unmitigated anger towards him given the last few years.

Its familiarity. 

We've got the same with Tommy Wright, where a, small, section of our fans seem to want him gone despite the fact we'll inevitably slide back to the second tier when that day comes.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is there?

I think it’s very evident that cosgrove is not and will never be a wonderful footballer. His goal tally this season is great but I suspect he won’t come close to it next season.

He is what he is and IMO should be a backup striker next season if we get recruitment right.

I agree pal

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We seem to chase the same target all summer when it's clear to everyone that they're never going to sign. When they pitch up elsewhere we end up making a total panic signing who ends up being shite.

I would associate this more with other eras...............e.g. the Pele Paterson era when we all waited with baited breath as Dennis Wyness, Barry Robson and Derek Lilley went elsewhere - e.g. the mighty Boston United.

For a while under Brown and McInnes we had a 'get things done quickly and quietly' spell when the likes of McGinn, Hayes, Shinnie and McLean all emerged without too many drawn out sagas.

Not sure if that was more a George Yule thing, as we've slipped a bit in that respect in recent times - as we've sat and read about lower English league types like Doidge, Marquis and Doyle all end up elsewhere - and Celtic changing their mind on Christie at the eleventh hour.  

Given who we'll likely lose and need to replace this summer - with an EL QR1 start in 27 Jun provided we're there - hopefully there's a lot of quiet and effective business being done in the background.  A Ryan Fraser bidding war between Arsenal and Chelsea (underwritten by Cormack or Milne as a short term cash injection) would be handy.....

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its familiarity. 

We've got the same with Tommy Wright, where a, small, section of our fans seem to want him gone despite the fact we'll inevitably slide back to the second tier when that day comes.

Get as far to f**k with this exaggerated pish. 

Is there?

Don’t disagree, but if Cosgrove was a 22 year old from Bridge of Don then people would be a lot more supportive of him than they are now.

As it is, he’s a 22 year old cheap McInnes signing who people blew a gasket about him signing, has proved a few people wrong, but that never gets taken into account when people are critiquing McInnes and his recent recruitment and instead people scream that we should never have let Anderson or Wright go on loan.

I also remember when Motherwell plucked nobodies from the arse end of the English league who turned out to be decent, and the moaners asked why we couldn’t do the same - we do it, and folk still aren’t happy.

Certainly looking for there to be another striker for Cosgrove to compete with. Competition for places is something we’ve lacked at times this season.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is there?

I think Cosgrove is pretty poor. He had a purple patch around the turn of the year but he doesn’t strike me as someone that will consistently score goals - unlike say Rooney. He also contributes very little in open play so there’s times I’m wondering what the long term future for him will be.  

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Given who we'll likely lose and need to replace this summer - with an EL QR1 start in 27 Jun provided we're there - hopefully there's a lot of quiet and effective business being done in the background.  A Ryan Fraser bidding war between Arsenal and Chelsea (underwritten by Cormack or Milne as a short term cash injection) would be handy.....

The preliminary round in the Europa League starts in the 27th June but if Aberdeen qualifies then the first round starts a bit later in the 11th July . See the excellent Bert website for dates/co-efficient etc

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calendar2019.html

Edited by betting competition

Don’t disagree, but if Cosgrove was a 22 year old from Bridge of Don then people would be a lot more supportive of him than they are now.

As it is, he’s a 22 year old cheap McInnes signing who people blew a gasket about him signing, has proved a few people wrong, but that never gets taken into account when people are critiquing McInnes and his recent recruitment and instead people scream that we should never have let Anderson or Wright go on loan.

I also remember when Motherwell plucked nobodies from the arse end of the English league who turned out to be decent, and the moaners asked why we couldn’t do the same - we do it, and folk still aren’t happy.

Certainly looking for there to be another striker for Cosgrove to compete with. Competition for places is something we’ve lacked at times this season.

I agree he’s another polarising figure. The McInnes out brigade see him as an example of piss poor recruitment and the opposite see the opposite.

What annoys me most, and this isn’t his fault, is when we utilise him as a target man to hold the ball up when it clearly isn’t his game. Yes he’s tall and all the rest but his hold up play is pretty poor and launching it up to him is an invitation of pressure, especially against the likes of Celtic.

I agree he’s another polarising figure. The McInnes out brigade see him as an example of piss poor recruitment and the opposite see the opposite.

What annoys me most, and this isn’t his fault, is when we utilise him as a target man to hold the ball up when it clearly isn’t his game. Yes he’s tall and all the rest but his hold up play is pretty poor and launching it up to him is an invitation of pressure, especially against the likes of Celtic.

I actually think he’s ok-ish getting the ball into feet, and has the potential to improve his all round game. It sounds very wanky but it’s good to have a “project” although we do need another striker regardless.

Wilson is the exact style of striker we need I think. Would hope his replacement would have a bit more interest in applying himself.