The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

What happened to Dundee United when Jackie McNamara sold all of their best players? I think there's a cautionary tale in there somewhere. 

Hibs too. Less than a decade after selling those players they had to spend multiple years in the second tier.

So if someone who had no knowledge of Scottish Football read the last few pages:

Sell players for Millions on more than one occasion = multiple relegations.

Don’t sell players, keep your asset for as long as possible as you don’t need to sell = European Football, Cup runs and consistency in the League ?

Take it that’s the argument over now, certainly one of the stranger discussions I’ve seen...

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

What happened to Dundee United when Jackie McNamara sold all of their best players? I think there's a cautionary tale in there somewhere. 

You are making up excuses for your club for what may or not happen,what i'm posting about is 25 years without selling an asset and replacing him.
Shinnie was Aberdeen's captain and left the club going into his peak years on freedom of contract that type of thing shouldn't happen.
The club allowed this to happen and Derby got a player of Shinnie's quality for nothing.
If it was done right Aberdeen would've got at least £2 million for Shinnie going to a championship club.

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You are making up excuses for your club for what may or not happen,what i'm posting about is 25 years without selling an asset and replacing him.
Shinnie was Aberdeen's captain and left the club going into his peak years on freedom of contract that type of thing shouldn't happen.
The club allowed this to happen and Derby got a player of Shinnie's quality for nothing.
If it was done right Aberdeen would've got at least £2 million for Shinnie going to a championship club.

2 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

As Aberdeen fans we don't have the luxury of being insulated by a budget that allows us to pay high wages and afford high transfer fees. Our football budget is heavily balanced toward paying wages rather than toward paying transfer fees. With that trade off being the case, a player who is of higher monetary value is worth more on the pitch for the last year of his contract, as we cannot afford the transfer fee, plus wages, of a like for like replacement. Even with our football budget being weighed toward wages, we still can't offer the salary levels of the OF*, English Championship and English League One clubs. So expecting Aberdeen to follow a similar transfer policy to Celtic is a false equivalent* I'm afraid. 

*equivalence

11 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Even with our football budget being weighed toward wages, we still can't offer the salary levels of the OF*, English Championship and English League One clubs. So expecting Aberdeen to follow a similar transfer policy to Celtic is a false equivalent* I'm afraid. 

Working within Aberdeen's own means shouldn't stop them from selling players at a decent price and replacing them with the next Shinnie.

Willy with the Football Manager wisdom here telling us how easy it is to get teams to buy your players for record fees and then replace them easily with equivalent players.

Surprised McInnes hasn't thought to just will these events into existence already.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So let me get this straight, Aberdeen = bad because we possibly, might have, maybe, lost out on a transfer fee of a purely hypothetical, guesstimated value of £2m.

Imagine how shit you'd think we were. if we sold a £75m player for £13m +10% of future trade value... Losing out on £54.5m of real money (rather than £2m of pretendy ones) WHAT A MINTER THAT WOULD BE!

Yours, thankfully nobody is that fucking stupid, to have passed up on £54.5m for one player!

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

2 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

So let me get this straight, Aberdeen = bad because we possibly, might have, maybe, lost out on a transfer fee of a purely hypothetical, guesstimated value of £2m.

For 25 years Aberdeen haven't had a sell-able asset worth more than £1.7 million just let that sink in. 

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

For 25 years Aberdeen haven't had a sell-able asset worth more than £1.7 million just let that sink in. 

f**k me man, are you fucking unwell?!  Less than an hour ago, you were telling us Shinnie was worth £2m!

Edited by aDONisSheep

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Oh no! How can we go on supporting a team without an abundance of sellable assets worth over 2 million?

23 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I thought you said we did but were too stupid to sell them? 

You're all over the place here Willie.